Click chart to enlarge
Chart from Jensen's Survey of the NT - used by permission
THE EXPANDING WITNESS OF THE SPIRIT-EMPOWERED CHURCH
MARK ADAMS - Sermons
JOSEPH A ALEXANDER Acts Commentary (1857, 1866)
James Rosscup: "This work, originally out in 1857, has proved helpful to many, though it is now far out of date as to literature commenting on Acts. For many basic details verse by verse, it still is of good value and often will help on word meaning and special problems. The fact that it was reprinted is indicative of its respected place in Acts studies." (Commentaries for Biblical Expositors)
Cyril Barber - A beautifully produced work that brings within the reach of the busy pastor the benefits of this commentator's prodigious labors. A warmly devotional treatment. (The Minister's Library Volume 2)
D Edmond Hiebert - An exhaustive exposition of Acts by a conservative Presbyterian scholar of the past century. Gives a precise interpretation of the text on the basis of the original. Omission of technical matters makes it suitable to the English reader.
HENRY ALFORD - Greek Testament Critical Exegetical Commentary
- Acts 12 Commentary
- Acts 12 Commentary - Similar work but all Latin and Greek are translated into English
FRANK ALLEN - ACTS OF THE APOSTLES(1931)
PAUL APPLE -642 page commentary - check it out
JACK ARNOLD SERMONS BOOK OF ACTS
WILLIAM ARNOT Acts Commentary
Cyril Barber - These sermons reveal Arnot's thorough awareness of the original text and the milieu of the early church. His material is provocative as well as edifying. Both laypeople and pastors should read this book eagerly in order to better determine the course of the church, its commitments, and the criteria of its fellowship. Recommended.(The Minister's Library Volume 2)
WILLIAM BARCLAY'S DAILY STUDY BIBLE
Hiebert - Divides Acts into brief paragraphs, with the author's translation of the portion printed at the beginning. The comments are generally devotional in character, containing various religious and literary quotations. The author is at his best in his discriminating discussion of Greek words. The interpretation is liberal in spots.
ALBERT BARNES Notes on the New Testament on Acts
BRIAN BELL SERMON NOTES
- Acts 12 A Tale of Two Lives
BIBLICAL ART - retrieved from Google search
JOHN CALVIN Commentary Acts of the Holy Spirit
CAMBRIDGE GREEK TESTAMENT FOR SCHOOLS AND COLLEGES - J. R. Lumby
ALAN CARR - Sermons
- Acts 12:1-24 Something Happens When God's People Pray
- Acts 12:1-19 The Prison Of His Power
- Acts 12:1-24 Overcoming Trials
RICH CATHERS - Sermon Notes - frequent illustrations
- Acts 12 Sermon Notes - Text
MATT CHANDLER Sermons on Acts
ADAM CLARKE Commentary on Acts
STEVEN COLE Sermons Book of Acts
THOMAS CONSTABLE Expository Notes on the book of Acts
W A CRISWELL - Sermon on Acts
- Acts 12:1-11 THE TOUCH OF AN ANGEL’S HAND
- Acts 12:21-23 THE SMITING OF THE ANGEL OF GOD
- Acts 12:11-17 THE FINAL APPEARANCE OF PETER
- Acts 12 THE SMITINGS OF GOD’S ANGELS
BOB DEFFINBAUGH EXPOSITORY SERMONS
DEVOTIONALS ON ACTS
Today in the Word (Moody), Our Daily Bread (Radio Bible Class), Our Daily Walk - F B Meyer, Our Daily Homily - F B Meyer, Our Daily Bread
DAN DUNCAN - SERMON For corresponding Mp3's click here.
CHARLES ELLICOTT, EDITOR - E H PLUMPTRE - AUTHOR
- Acts 12 Commentary Bible Commentary for English Readers
EXPOSITOR'S BIBLE Commentary on Acts of the Apostles - George T. Stokes
WILLIAM M FURNEAUX
ARNO C GAEBELEIN - THE ACTS OF THE APOSTLES - AN EXPOSITION (1912)
D Edmond Hiebert - A forceful, conservative unfolding of the message of Acts by a noted premillennial, dispensational Bible teacher active during the first half of this century. Emphasizes the transition from Judaism to Christianity as portrayed in Acts.
GENE GETZ - short videos (~10) emphasizing principles in the text
- Acts 12:1-25; Video Our Sovereign God: When events happen that are difficult to accept and understand, we must remember that God is sovereign and ultimately in control of our lives.
GOTQUESTIONS - questions related to the book of Acts
- Who was Herod Agrippa I?
- Who are the various Herods mentioned in the Bible?
- What was the first / original church? Is the original / first church the true church?
- What is the church?
- What is the purpose of the church?
- When did the church begin/start?
- What should I be looking for in a church?
- Why do some churches thrive while others die?
- What does the Bible say about church growth?
- Are seeker sensitive churches biblical? - A "must read" article!
- Should churches be seeker-friendly?
- Are children punished for the sins of their parents?;
- What does the Bible say about generational "curses"?
- What can we learn from what the Bible says about James the apostle?
- Why do I need to be saved?
- How can I be saved?
- Who can be saved?
- Can a person believe in some sense but not be saved?
- What does it mean to be saved by grace?
- What if I don't feel saved?
- Is the Word of Faith movement biblical?
- Are faith healers for real? Does a faith healer heal with the same power as Jesus?
- What does the Bible say about the prosperity gospel?
- What is seed faith? What is a seed faith offering?
- What is the Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN)?
- Are all prosperity preachers charlatans and/or false teachers? - excellent, balanced summary
- What is intercessory prayer?
- Utley's Topic - Intercessory Prayer
- Is it acceptable to repeatedly pray for the same thing?
- Who are we to pray to, the Father, the Son, or the Holy Spirit?
- Do we have guardian angels?
- Who is the angel of the Lord?
- Who was John Mark in the Bible?
- Hastings Bible Dictionary
- What can we learn from the life of James, the brother of Jesus?
- "Caesarea Maritima" (see map showing Caesarea on coast in relation to Joppa)
- Divine jealousy
- Why is God a jealous God?
- Who is the destroying angel?
- Is there an angel of death?
- What is the glory of God?
- What does it mean to glorify God?
- How can I glorify God in everything I do?
- Does God still have a plan for Israel?
GRACE NOTES - Expositional Study by Warren Doud
W H GRIFFITH-THOMAS
DAVE GUZIK Commentary Notes on Acts
HORATIO B HACKETT A Commentary on the Original Text of the Acts of the Apostles
D Edmond Hiebert - A full verse-by-verse commentary by a conservative Baptist professor of the past century. Still valuable for a clear unfolding of the text of Acts.
C H Spurgeon writes that "Hackett occupies the first position among commentators upon the Acts." (Commenting on Commentaries - excellent resource with links to all 66 books)
MATTHEW HENRY Commentary on Acts
HOLMAN PUBLISHING - study notes
- Holman Christian Standard Bible Study Bible - Well done conservative notes. Includes access to Holman NT Commentary on each Gospel (see Library in left gutter).
HOMILETICS - Acts 12
INTERVARSITY PRESS Commentary on the Book of Acts - William J Larkin, Jr.
Cyril Barber - Historically helpful. Contains some important insights. Critical matters are confined to the footnotes. Oriented toward the pastorate.
H A IRONSIDE Commentary on Acts
JAMIESON, FAUSSET, BROWN Commentary on Acts
S. LEWIS JOHNSON Sermons on Acts
Hiebert - An able devotional exposition by a noted Plymouth Brethren scholar of the past century. The viewpoint is premillennial; the volume reflects something of the author's ecclesiastical views. Contains much rich material on the meaning of Acts.
R J KNOWLING The Expositor's Greek Testament The Acts of the Apostles
D Edmond Hiebert - Greek text. Still one of the most thorough commentaries on the Greek text. Significant for the Greek student.
PAUL KRETZMANN Popular Commentary of the Bible The Acts of the Apostles
- Principles for a Powerful Prayer Meeting, Part 1 - Acts 12:1-11
- Principles for a Powerful Prayer Meeting, Part 2 - Acts 12:1-11
- Ministry to Persecuted Believers - Acts 12
JOHN MACARTHUR Verse by Verse Sermons on Acts
ALEXANDER MACLAREN Sermons on Acts
- Acts 12:2 The Martyrdom of James
- Acts 12:5 Peter's Deliverance from Prison
- Acts 12:7 An Angel's Touch
- Acts 12:11 Sober Certainty
- Acts 12:13 Rhoda
- Acts 12:17 Peter After His Escape
- Acts 12:23 The Angel's Touch
MAPS - related to Acts
- Acts 2 - Pentecost and the Jewish Diaspora
- Acts 4-11 - Expansion of the Early Church in Palestine
- Acts 9, 11, 12 - Paul's Conversion and Early Ministry
- Acts 12:20-23 - Kingdom of Herod Agrippa I (Kingdom of Herod Agrippa II)
- Paul's Journeys (summarized)
- Acts 13:4-14:28 - Paul's First Missionary Journey
- Acts 15:36-18:32 - Paul's Second Missionary Journey
- Acts 18:23-21:26 - Paul's Third Missionary Journey
- Acts 21:15-26:32 - Paul's Arrest and Imprisonment
- Acts 27:1-28:31 - Paul's Voyage to Rome
J VERNON MCGEE Thru the Bible The Acts of the Apostles
F B MEYER
HEINRICH A. W. MEYER
Greek text. An exhaustive exegetical study of Acts by a well-known German scholar of the past century. Still contains much of value, although unaware of later developments in the understanding of the Koine Greek.
J R MILLER
G CAMPBELL MORGAN The Acts of the Apostles: Commentary
Rosscup writes that this 1947 work is "one of Morgan’s better commentaries and one which the student can profitably consult." (Commentaries for Biblical Expositors: An Annotated Bibliography of Selected Works).
D Edmond Hiebert - Expository messages on Acts by a noted Bible teacher-preacher. His exposition aims at setting forth the spiritual force and method of early Christianity. Stress is placed on the variety of ways in which the Spirit is seen at work in Acts. Offers many illuminating insights.
- Acts of the Apostles - entire book in one Pdf
HENRY MORRIS - Defender's Study Bible notes
- Acts 12:1 - Herod the king
- Acts 12:2 - James
- Acts 12:3 - pleased the Jews
- Acts 12:4 - quaternions Easter
- Acts 12:6 - Peter was sleeping
- Acts 12:7 - angel of the Lord
- Acts 12:9 - wist
- Acts 12:12 - many were gathered together
- Acts 12:15 - Thou art mad It is his angel
- Acts 12:17 - James another place
- Acts 12:23 - angel of the Lord gave not God the glory
- Acts 12:25 - returned from Jerusalem John
ROBERT NEIGHBOUR Wells of Living Water Commentary
NET BIBLE NOTES
PHIL NEWTON Sermons on Acts
JAMES NISBET - Church Pulpit Commentary
OUR DAILY BREAD Devotional Illustrations
- Acts 12 Devotionals - multiple on one page
- Acts 12:1-11 Living Beyond The Odds
- Acts 12:1-19 The Only Way To Help
- Acts 12:1-16 You Can Always Pray
- Acts 12:20-24 Irreverence
THOMAS E. PAGE - 1895 Commentary
PASTOR LIFE - sermons
|Miracles in the Night||Acts 12||Depression; God, Faithfulness of; Prayer||Paul E. Brown|
|God Can Handle Herod||Acts 12||Politics and Jesus; King Jesus; Prayer and Power; Herod is Dead||Terry Trivette|
|The Partnership of Prayer||Acts 12||Prayer; Church, Prayer in the||Stephen F. Olford|
|Prayer and Closed Doors||Acts 12:1-18||Prayer||Donald Cantrell|
|How the Church Deals with a Crisis||Acts 12:5||Church Crisis; Church||Terry Trivette|
|Our Chief Weapon||Acts 12:5||Prayer for America; Prayer; Power of Prayer||Alan Stewart|
F N PELOUBET
JOHN PIPER Sermons on Acts
- Acts 12 Execution, Escape, and Eaten By Worms How the Word of God Grew
- Acts 12:1-17 Explosive Fellowship
PREACHER'S HOMILETICAL COMMENTARY The Acts of the Apostles
PULPIT COMMENTARY The Acts of the Apostles
RICHARD RACKHAM The Acts of the Apostles: An Exposition 1904
Rosscup writes "This is a very good though at times terse commentary from the standpoint of Greek and, historical background. Rackham was conservative but amillennial. Verse by verse he often offers good help, and he has addenda on topics such as breaking of bread, Sadducees and Pharisees, etc." (Commentaries for Biblical Expositors)
D Edmond Hiebert - A thorough (513-page), informative exposition by a conservative Anglican scholar. Full treatment of introductory problems. Has a full index. One of the standard older commentaries on Acts.
RADIO BIBLE CLASS
ROBERT RAYBURN SERMONS BOOK OF ACTS
REFORMATION STUDY BIBLE STUDY NOTES
A. T. ROBERTSON Word Pictures on Acts
ROB SALVATO - Sermons
- Acts 12 Sermons - titles below
- Acts 12:5 Peter's Deliverance from Prison
- Acts 12:21-23 The Evil of Pride
CHUCK SMITH Commentary and Sermon Notes
- Acts 12 Commentary
- Sermon Notes for Acts 12:1
- Sermon Notes for Acts 12:1
- Sermon Notes for Acts 12:11
- Sermon Notes for Acts 12:20
JAMES SMITH - Handfuls on Purpose - expanded sermon outlines
- Click this page for all the topics below
- PERSECUTION AND DELIVERANCE. Acts 12:1-17
R C SPROUL - Devotionals
C H SPURGEON
RAY STEDMAN Sermon Series - Expository Studies in Acts
THIRD MILLENNIUM - SERMONS AND STUDY NOTES
- Sermons - most Mp3's
- Kingdom Persecution and Judgment: Jerusalem - Acts 12:1-25
- Peter: An Escape from Prison - Acts 12:1-19
- Herod's Providential Death - Acts 12:20-25
DEREK THOMAS SERMONS BOOK OF ACTS
- Acts 12:1-19a To the End of the Earth (28): The Great Escape by Derek Thomas
- Acts 12:1-19 A Notable Prayer Meeting by Derek Thomas
- Acts 12:19b-25 To the End of the Earth (29): Church Growth- New Testament Style by Derek Thomas
DAVID THOMPSON - Sermon expositions, well-done
TODAY IN THE WORD DEVOTIONALS Book of Acts
Moody Bible Institute - Dozens of Devotionals Arranged by Chapter. Click Chapters Below
BOB UTLEY - Acts Commentary
MARVIN VINCENT New Testament Word Studies On the Book of Acts
- Whyte's Dictionary of Bible Characters - James the Lord's Brother
- Whyte's Dictionary of Bible Characters - Barnabas