Click chart to enlarge
Chart from recommended resource Jensen's Survey of the NT - used by permission
See another Luke Overview Chart by Charles Swindoll
MIKE ANDRUS - sermon
JIM BOMKAMP Sermon Notes
- Luke 16:1-15 Upon Being Fired For Mismanagement A Man Ingratiates Himself To His Master's Debtors By Reducing Their Debts
- Luke 16:16-31 Jesus Points The Pharisees To The Law / Teaches About The Rich Man And Lazarus In Hades
CAMBRIDGE BIBLE COMMENTARY FOR SCHOOLS AND COLLEGES
CAMBRIDGE GREEK TESTAMENT FOR SCHOOLS AND COLLEGES - F W Farrar
ALAN CARR - Sermons
- Luke 16:16-31 A Horrible Place Called Hell
- Luke 16:19-31 An Interview In Hell
- Luke 16:19-31 A Glimpse Of A Place Called Hell
- Luke 16:19-31 Can God Really Save Your Loved Ones?
- Luke 16:19-31 From Here To Eternity
- Luke 16:19-31 The Truth About Hell
CENTURY BIBLE COMMENTARY
- Luke 16:1-13 How to be Truly Rich
- Luke 16:14-18 Scoffing or Submitting?
- Luke 16:19-31 A Great Chasm Fixed
TREVOR P CRAIGEN
- Eternal Punishment In John’s Revelation - 13 page article, conservative, evangelical
W A CRISWELL - sermon
- Luke 16 What Shall I Do in the First Five Minutes of Eternity?
- Luke 16:15 A Great Gulf Fixed
- Luke 16:19-31 Does My Soul Live Forever?
- Luke 16:1-2 What Do With Possessions?
- Luke 16:19-31 The Horror of Waking Up In Hell
- Luke 16:19-24 Tormented in a Flame
- Luke 16:19-31 What Heaven and Hell Are Like
- Luke 16:19 The First Five Minutes in Eternity
- Luke 16:19-24 Tormented in a Flame
- Luke 16:19-24 Tormented in a Flame
- Luke 16:19-31 Between Death and Resurrection
- Luke 16:19-31 Five Lost Brethren
- Luke 16:19-24 The Sorrows of Hell
- Luke 16:22 What Shall I Do in the First Five Minutes of Eternity
- Luke 16 Damnation and Hell (Lecture)
- Luke 16:22-24 What It Means to Be Lost
- Luke 16:23 Do People Wake Up in Hell?
- Luke 16:23 What It Means To Be Lost
DAVID DE SILVA
JOHN DUMMELOW Commentary
- Faithful Stewarship as a Mark of Grace Luke 16:1-13
- Wholly Devoted Luke 16:1-13
- What the Law Shows about Our Hearts Luke 16:14-18
- The Poor Man (Who Thought He Was Rich) Luke 16:19-31
- One From the Dead Luke 16:19-31
ALFRED EDERSHEIM - Life and Times of the Messiah
- Luke 16:16 Pressing into the Kingdom of God
- Luke 16:31 The Warnings of Scripture are in the Best Manner Adapted to the Awakening and Conversion of Sinners
EXPOSITOR'S BIBLE Commentary - Henry Burton
D Edmond Hiebert - A practical, warm-hearted exposition by a conservative scholar. Although written during the nineteenth century, it is rich in its interpretative contents, as, for example, on chapter 15.
FARRAR, F W - Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges
D Edmond Hiebert - Greek text. The work of a famous British scholar of the past century. In spite of its age, the phrase-by-phrase treatment is worth consulting.
Rosscup comments: Though old, this work is almost exhaustive in dealing with interpretive problems and shows a wide acquaintance with commentators of all ages up to his day. He is regarded by Greek authorities as weak on textual criticism but strong on exegesis.
- Luke 16:1-13 What is the meaning of the Parable of the Unjust Steward (Luke 16:1-13)?
- Luke 16 - What should we learn from the story of the rich man and Lazarus?
- Is Luke 16:19-31 a parable or an account of events that actually occurred?
- What is the difference between Sheol, Hades, Hell, the lake of fire, Paradise, and Abraham’s bosom?
- Questions about Heaven, Hell, and Eternity - see this link for >120 links to specific questions
- Where is hell? What is the location of hell?
- Does hell exist?
- Is hell literally a place of fire and brimstone?
- How is eternity in hell a fair punishment for sin?
- How is an eternity in hell a just punishment for only a human lifetime of sin?
- Who will go to hell?
- Why does God send people to hell?
- How can a loving God send someone to hell?
- What does it mean that hell is eternal separation from God?
- Why is the idea of eternal damnation so repulsive to many people?
- Does heaven exist?
- What does hell look like? How hot is hell?
- Is hell real? Is hell eternal?
- How can I not go to hell?
- Is Satan the master of hell? Do Satan and his demons punish people in hell?
ROBERT HAWKER- Poor Man's Commentary
- Luke 16:1-9 The Shrewd Manager
- Luke 16:1-13 Conning Your Way Into Heaven
- Luke 16:19-31 You Can't Cross Over
- Luke 16:19-31 What Would Convince You?
HAMPTON KEATHLEY IV
Cyril Barber - An excellent handling of Luke's theme, replete with the author's own translation and an exposition that is at once refreshing and satisfying.
FRANKLIN L KIRKSEY
PAUL E. KRETZMANN - Lutheran Perspective
LIFE APPLICATION BIBLE - Notes on Luke (158 pages) includes nice black and white maps
- Luke Application Study Notes - These are practical notes which help you apply the text.
JOHN LIGHTFOOT - Commentary
- Luke 16:1-13 Investing Earthly Finances with an Eternal Focus
- Luke 16:14-15 Why False Teachers Mock the Truth, Part 1
- Luke 16:14-16 Why False Teachers Mock the Truth, Part 2
- Luke 16:16-18 Why False Teachers Mock the Truth, Part 3
- Luke 16:19-31 A Testimony of One Surprised to be in Hell, Part 1
- Luke 16:19-31 A Testimony of One Surprised to be in Hell, Part 2
- Luke 16:19-31 A Testimony of One Surprised to be in Hell, Part 3
- Luke 16:19-31 A Testimony of One Surprised to be in Hell, Part 4
- Luke 16:19-31 A Testimony of One Surprised to be in Hell, Part 5
- Luke 16 Abraham's Bosom, Paradise, and Heaven
- Luke 16:8 The Follies of the Wise
- Luke 16:10–12 Two Kinds of Riches
- Luke 16:12 The Gains of the Faithful Steward
- Luke 16:19–31 Dives and Lazarus
- Luke 16:25 Memory in Another World
HEINRICH MEYER - Commentary
- Luke 16 - scroll down - commentary
HENRY MORRIS - Defender's Study Bible Excellent, literal study notes.
- Luke 16:8 wisely
- Luke 16:9 mammon of unrighteousness everlasting habitations
- Luke 16:10 faithful also in much
- Luke 16:16 until John
- Luke 16:17 one tittle
- Luke 16:19 rich man
- Luke 16:20 beggar named Lazarus laid
- Luke 16:22 carried by the angels Abraham’s bosom
- Luke 16:23 hell Abraham afar off
- Luke 16:24 Father Abraham water tormented in this flame
- Luke 16:25 remember
- Luke 16:31 hear not Moses
JAMES NISBET'S - Church Pulpit Commentary
John Blanchard says this book "powerfully applied the meaning of a parable Jesus told about the lives, deaths and afterlives of two men, one rich and godless and the other poor and godly."
OUR DAILY BREAD (et al) Devotionals
- Luke 16:1-10 Honor System
- Luke 16:1-13 Money Matters
- Luke 16:1-13 Spendthrifts Or Stewards
- Luke 16:1-15 What's Your Preoccupation?
- Luke 16:1-15 Big Money
- Luke 16:13 Servant Or Master?
- Luke 16:19-31 Bad Choice
- Luke 16:19-31 The Options
- Luke 16:19-31 The Best Eraser
- Luke 16:19-31 A Devoted Heart
- Luke 16:19-31 A Great Mystery
- Luke 16:19-31 Final Appointment
- Luke 16:19-31 Don't Go There!
- Luke 16:19-31 Are You Ready?
JOSEPH PARKER The People's Bible
PASTOR LIFE - sermons
- Stewards R' Us Luke 16:1-13 James Merritt
- A Story of Hell Luke 16:19-31 Johnny Hunt
- A Scary Story Luke 16:19-31 Vince Hefner
PETER PETT - Commentary
- A Kinder, Gentler Theology Of Hell? - 17 pp, conservative, evangelical (doctrine of annihilationism)
J C PHILPOT
ALFRED PLUMMER International Critical Commentary
Rosscup comments: This used to be often considered the best older commentary on the Greek.
Darrell Bock frequently quotes from this work.
MATTHEW POOLE - Commentary
- Luke 16:1-13 What Jesus Would Say to Jim Baker
- Luke 16:19-31 Playing with Fire: Can We Still Believe in Hell?
- What Does The Bible Say About Hell?
- Truth with Love- Sharing the Story of Jesus
- How Can I Break The Silence? - Strategies for sharing faith in Christ
- How Can I Share My Faith Without An Argument? - Letting God do the work of evangelism (Or here)
- What If It’s True? Examining Four Important Spiritual Questions
- Life to Come (Or here)
- Beyond Reasonable Doubt: The Truth About the Bible (Or here)
- Why Does It Make Sense To Believe In Christ? - Evidence for the reasonableness of Christian faith (Or here)
- What Is A Personal Relationship With God? - Conditions for knowing God
- What About Those Who Have Never Heard? - The plight of those without the gospel
- Why We Believe - Evidences for Christian Faith
- Luke 16:1
- Luke 16:6
- Luke 16:8
- Luke 16:9
- Luke 16:11
- Luke 16:12
- Luke 16:13
- Luke 16:16
- Luke 16:17
- Luke 16:18
- Luke 16:19
- Luke 16:20
- Luke 16:22
- Luke 16:23
- Luke 16:24
- Luke 16:25
- Luke 16:27–28
- Luke 16:29
JOHN RICE - 36 page booklet
DON ROBINSON Sermons
- Luke 16:19-31 Three Things in Hell
- Luke 16:19-31 Who Cares?
- Luke 16:19-31 If They Believe not the Bible
- Luke 16:22-31 The Man In Hell Never Asked
- Paul’s Concept Of Eternal Punishment - 24 page article - conservative, evangelical
JOHNNY SANDERS - 2005. Well done
SERMON BIBLE COMMENTARY
- Hell in W G T Shedd's Dogmatic Theology - one of the best on the subject of Hell
- Luke 16 - Click here for following messages
- Luke 16:8 The Unjust Steward
- Luke 16:16 Pressing into the Kingdom
- Luke 16:25 The Rich Man and Lazarus
- Luke 16:29-31 The Hopeless State of Those Who Disregard the Scriptures
R C SPROUL DEVOTIONALS
- Luke 16 Exposition
- Luke 16:2 The Last Sermon for the Year
- Luke 16:2 The Sunday-School Teacher--A Steward
- Luke 16:26 The Bridgeless Gulf
- Luke 16:31 A Preacher from the Dead
WILLIAM B STEVENS
- Luke 16:1-31. Stewards, Scoffers and Second Chances
- Luke 16:1-13 The Parable of the Unrighteous Manager
- Luke 16:14-15 Jesus’ Response To Those Who Sneer
- Luke 16:16&17 The Unbreakable Character of Scripture
- Luke 16:18 Jesus Teaches about Divorce
- Luke 16:19-23 The Rich Man and Lazarus
- Luke 16:22-26 The Rich Man and Lazarus 2
- Luke 16:27-31 The Rich Man and Lazarus 3
ROBERT L THOMAS
- Jesus' View of Eternal Punishment - well done 31 page article from a conservative, evangelical viewpoint
TODAY IN THE WORD Multiple devotionals under each chapter