Source: Chart by Tim LaHaye and Thomas Ice - click to enlarge - Millenium on Right Side
Click chart to enlarge
Charts from recommended resource Jensen's Survey of the OT - used by permission
Daniel Chart from Charles Swindoll
CHART RELATED TO DANIEL 2 AND DANIEL 7 - IRVING JENSEN- click to enlarge
Explanation - The following list includes not only commentaries but other Christian works by well known evangelical writers. Most of the resources below are newer works (written after 1970) which previously were available only for purchase in book form or in a Bible computer program. The resources are made freely available by archive.org but have several caveats - (1) they do not allow copy and paste, (2) they can only be checked out for one hour (but can be checked out immediately when your hour expires giving you time to read or take notes on a lengthy section) and (3) they require creating an account which allows you to check out the books free of charge. To set up an account click archive.org and then click the picture of the person in right upper corner and enter email and a password. That's all you have to do. Then you can read these more modern resources free of charge! I have read or used many of these resources but not all of them so ultimately you will need to be a Berean (Acts 17:11+) as you use them. I have also selected works that are conservative and Biblically sound. If you find one that you think does not meet those criteria please send an email at https://www.preceptaustin.org/
Note: The first 3 resources have no time restriction and allow copy and paste function:
(1) KJV Bible Commentary - Hindson, Edward E; Kroll, Woodrow Michael. Over 3000 pages of the entire OT/NT. Well done conservative commentary that interprets Scripture from a literal perspective. Pre-millennial. User reviews - it generally gets 4/5 stars from users. - 372 ratings
Very well done conservative commentary that interprets Scripture from a literal perspective user reviews
The King James Version Bible Commentary is a complete verse-by-verse commentary. It is comprehensive in scope, reliable in scholarship, and easy to use. Its authors are leading evangelical theologians who provide practical truths and biblical principles. Any Bible student will gain new insights through this one-volume commentary based on the timeless King James Version of the Bible.
(2) The King James Study Bible Second Edition 2240 pages (2013) (Thomas Nelson) General Editor - Edward Hindson with multiple contributing editors. . 3,194 ratings. Pre-millennial. See introduction on How to Use this Study Bible.
(3) NKJV Study Bible: New King James Version Study Bible (formerly "The Nelson Study Bible - NKJV") by Earl D Radmacher; Ronald Barclay Allen; Wayne H House. 2345 pages. (1997, 2007). Very helpful notes. Conservative. Pre-millennial. 917 ratings
Bible Knowledge Commentary - Daniel by Dwight Pentecost - unfortunately part of the margins are cut off on some pages.
Daniel : standing firm for God by Getz, Gene A
Cyril Barber - “This exposition of the book of Daniel, more so than any other commentary which I have read, is distinguished by its practical application and the reduction of difficult doctrines to explanations that anyone can understand. The challenge to us to be completely obedient to God in the most difficult circumstances is the outstanding message of the book.”—John F. Walvoord.
The message of Daniel : His kingdom cannot fail by Davis, Dale Ralph
Daniel, the man and his visions by Feinberg, Charles
Cyril Barber - Written for laypeople, this study adequately expounds the purpose and prophecies of Daniel. Recommended.
Daniel, decoder of dreams by Campbell, Donald K
Cyril Barber - Thorough in interpretation and practical in application, this treatment of Daniel is ideal for use with laypeople. Premillennial.
The prophet Daniel : a key to the visions and prophecies of the Book of Daniel by Gaebelein, Arno Clemens,
Daniel the Prophet by DeHaan, M. R. (or here)
Cyril Barber - First published in 1947. Contains recorded messages delivered on the Radio Bible Class. An excellent introduction to Bible prophecy. Ideal for lay people.
Daniel : an introduction and commentary by Baldwin, Joyce G (be a Berean as not always literal)
Cyril Barber - A capable exposition by a respected OT scholar. Good treatment of textual matters but indifference to prophetic themes minimizes the value of this book.
Daniel : the NIV application commentary from biblical text ... to contemporary life by Longman, Tremper
Ezekiel, Daniel : a self-study guide by Jensen, Irving
Daniel by McGee, J. Vernon
Daniel : God's pattern for the future : Bible study guide by Swindoll, Charles
Be resolute : determining to go God's direction (Daniel) by Wiersbe, Warren
Daniel : Bible study commentary by Wood, Leon James
Cyril Barber - This is a fascinating and enlightening commentary. It is also an accurate and reliable one. Wood expounds the historic setting of the book, unfolds its prophetic message, and provides his readers with fresh insights into the text. Recommended. Premillennial
In and around the Book of Daniel by Boutflower, Charles,
Cyril Barber - Reproduced from the 1923 edition. This work is indispensable to a study of the visions and prophecies of Daniel. It sets each incident in the historic context of the times and demonstrates how an understanding of the setting frequently contains the key to the correct interpretation of the passage. Recommended
Jeremiah-Daniel in Broadman Bible Commentary
The Lord is King : the message of Daniel (The Bible Speaks Today series) by Wallace, Ronald S
The climax of the ages : studies in the prophecy of Daniel by Tatford, Frederick A
Cyril Barber - First published in 1953, this study exhibits a balance between extremes. It treats the prophetic word with respect but does not probe minutiae. Instead, the message of Daniel is explained to the enlightenment and edification of the reader. Throughout his exposition, Tatford blends history and theology, practical application and devotional stimulation in a most pleasing manner. Premillennial.
Daniel - Shepherd's Notes - by Miller, Stephen R., 1
Zondervan NIV Study Bible - (2011) 2570 pages - Use this one if available as it has more notes than edition below. One hour limit
NIV Study Bible by Barker, Kenneth L; Burdick, Donald W (1995) 2250 pages. This is the first edition. This resource has been fully revised in 2020. One hour limit
Believer's Bible Commentary - OT and NT - MacDonald, William (1995) 2480 pages. Conservative. Literal. Often has very insightful comments. John MacArthur, says "Concise yet comprehensive - the most complete single-volume commentary I have seen." Warren Wiersbe adds "For the student who is serious about seeing Christ in the Word." One hour limit.
Rosscup - This work, originally issued in 1983, is conservative and premillennial, written to help teachers, preachers and people in every walk of life with different views, explanation and application. The 2-column format runs verse by verse for the most part, usually in a helpfully knowledgeable manner, and there are several special sections such as “Prayer” in Acts and “Legalism” in Galatians. The premillennial view is evident on Acts 1:6, 3:20, Romans 11:26, Galatians 6:16, Revelation 20, etc.
HCSB Study Bible : Holman Christian Standard Bible - General Editor Jeremy Royal Howard (2010) 2360 pages. Conservative. Good notes. Include Holmans excellent maps. One hour limit
Life Application Study Bible: Old Testament and New Testament: New Living Translation. Has some very helpful notes especially with application of texts. 4,445 ratings One hour limit
The MacArthur Study Bible - John MacArthur. Brief but well done notes for conservative, literal perspective. 1,275 ratings
ESV Study Bible - Excellent resource but not always literal in eschatology and the nation of Israel 6,004 ratings
The David Jeremiah Study Bible - (2013) 2208 pages. 2,272 ratings Logos.com - "Drawing on more than 40 years of study, Dr. David Jeremiah has compiled a legacy resource that will make an eternal impact on generations to come. 8,000 study notes. Hundreds of enriching word studies"50+ Essentials of the Christian Faith" articles."
Wycliffe Bible Commentary - Charles Pfeiffer - 1560 pages (1962). 214 ratings Less detailed than the KJV Bible Commentary. Conservative. Notes are generally verse by verse but brief.
Rosscup - Conservative and premillennial scholars here have been experts in their fields. The work contains brief introductions and attempts to give a verse-by-verse exposition, though it does skip over some verses. The treatments vary with the authors, but as a whole it is a fine one-volume commentary for pastors and students to use or give to a layman. Outstanding sections include, for example: Whitcomb on Ezra-Nehemiah-Esther; Culver on Daniel; Ladd on Acts; Harrison on Galatians; Johnson on I Corinthians; and Ryrie on the Johannine Epistles.
The Defender's Study Bible : King James Version by Morris, Henry M. Excellent notes by well known creationist. Litera. 45 ratings
New Bible Commentary - (1994) See user reviews
Sir Robert Anderson was the chief inspector for Scotland Yard. He was greatly respected for his skill as an investigator. When Anderson wasn't writing on subjects related to crime, he wrote books on Christian prophecy. He helped establish the fact that 69 of Daniel's 70 weeks have now transpired, and that the tribulation will be the 70th week.
Rosscup's review - The premillennial author presents a detailed work on the 70 weeks of Daniel 9. In this popular treatment he reckons the chronology of the first sixty-nine weeks from the decree of Artaxerxes (Nehemiah 2) to rebuild Jerusalem to the triumphal entry of Christ (Luke 19). He figures the exact number of days involved in 483 prophetic years which he believes would contain 360 days each, not 365 as Julian years. In his reckoning, the sixty-nine weeks end in A. D. 32 which poses a problem in light of more accepted views today that Christ died in A. D. 30 or 33. (Commentaries for Biblical Expositors - excellent resource)
Here is the Pdf of the book (contents below)
- Daniel And His Times
- The King's Dream And The Prophet's Visions
- The Vision By The River Of Ulai
- The Angel' s Message
- The Prophetic Year
- The Mystic Era Of The Weeks
- "Messiah The Prince"
- The Paschal Supper
- Fulfillment Of The Prophecy
- Principles Of Interpretation
- Fullness Of The Gentiles
- Second Sermon On The Mount
- The Patmos Visions
- The Coming Prince
APPENDICES - for these see Pdf of the book
- 1. Chronological Treatise And Tables
- 2. Miscellaneous: Who And When -Artaxerxes Longimanus & The Chronology Of His Reign / Date Of The Nativity /Continuous Historical System Of Prophetic Interpretation / The Ten Kingdoms / Chronological Diagram Of The History Of Judah
- 3. A Retrospect And A Reply
See also Anderson's related work - Daniel in the Critic's Den (or here)
JOHN ANKERBERG - interviews of Jimmy DeYoung and Reginald Showers
- Daniel – Key to Understanding Revelation
- The First Pillar – The Revived Roman Empire
- The Second Pillar – Daniel and the Antichrist
- The Third Pillar – Daniel and the Future Tribulation
- The Fourth Pillar – Daniel and the Alignment of the Nations
WAYNE BARBER Sermons
- Daniel 9:1-19 What Do You Pray When You Suffer from Someone Else's Sin
- Daniel 9:20-24 God's Faithfulness to Israel - 1
- Daniel 9:25-27 God's Faithfulness to Israel - 2
- The 70 Weeks of Daniel - Pdf
- Early Promises of A Redeemer of Mankind
- The Sixty-Nine Weeks of Years
- The Prophetic Students of the First Century
- The Stopping of God's Clock
- The Seventieth Week
- Chart of Daniel's 70 Weeks
- Daniel 1 Studies in the Book of Daniel
- Daniel 2 Nebuchadnezzar's Vision (Chart of Daniel 2) (Chart of Daniel 7, Revelation 13, 17)
- Daniel 2 The Interpretation of Nebuchadnezzar's Dream
- Daniel 3 The Golden Image of Nebuchadnezzar
- Daniel 5 Belshazzar's Downfall
- Daniel 6 Daniel in the Lion's Den
- Daniel 7 The Four Visions
- Daniel 7 The Chronological Suspension Bridge
- Daniel - The World Kingdom Breaking Up
- Daniel 8 The World Kingdom Breaking Up
- Daniel 9 - The Program of Daniel Chapter Nine
- Daniel 9 Messiah: First Coming Scheduled
- Daniel 9:24-27 The Seventieth Week of Daniel
- Daniel 9:1-4 The Book, The Prayer, The Fast
- Daniel 9:20-23 Prevailing in Prayer
- Daniel 9:25-27 he Seventy Weeks
- Daniel 9:26 The Death Of Messiah
- Daniel 9:2 seventy years
- Daniel 9:3 prayer and supplication
- Daniel 9:5 from thy judgments
- Daniel 9:21 fly swiftly
- Daniel 9:24 Seventy weeks finish the transgression
- Daniel 9:25 commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem seven weeks threescore and two weeks
- Daniel 9:26 Messiah be cut off prince that shall come the sanctuary flood desolations are determined
- Daniel 9:27 he shall confirm one week midst of the week overspreading of abominations
DAN DUNCAN Sermons in Pdf
EXPLORE THE BIBLE Study Notes by Tom Nettles
- Daniel 9:24-27 - What are the seventy weeks of Daniel?
- Daniel 9:24-27 - What are the seventy sevens in Daniel 9:24-27?
- Daniel 9:27 - What is the Tribulation? How do we know the Tribulation will last seven years?
- Daniel 9:1-19 The Wonderful Prayer of the Prophet
- Daniel 9:20-27 Seventy Years Determined Upon Thy People
- Daniel 9:25-27 The Message of the Seventy Weeks
- Daniel 9:24-27 Context & Meaning of Weeks
- Daniel 9:24 Six Prophetic Purpose Clauses 1
- Daniel 9:24 Six Prophetic Purpose Clauses 2
- Daniel 9:24-27 Israel's Sabbatical Year & 70 x 7
- Daniel 9:25 When Does the Prophecy Begin?
- Daniel 9:25 Messiah's Arrival Accurately Predicted
- Daniel 9:26 Seven Weeks, 62 Weeks, After 62 Weeks
- Daniel 9:26 Messiah Cut Off & Prince Who is to Come
- Daniel 9:27 He: Antichrist or Christ?
- Daniel 9:27 Middle of the Week & Abomination
- Daniel 9:24-27 Time Gap
- Daniel 9:24-27 Early Church Views
- What is Daniel's Prophecy of Seventy Weeks?
- Babylon In Bible Prophecy
- The Literal Interpretation of Prophecy
- Literal vs. Allegorical Interpretation
- Literal Interpretation of Bible Prophecy – Help or Hinderance?
- The First Foundation – Consistent Literal Interpretation
- The Literal Fulfillment of Bible Prophecy
- The Israel Of God
- Is It Time for The Temple?
- Ready to Rebuild
- What About The Land Promises to Israel?
- What do you do with a future National Israel in the Bible?
- Answering Those Who Oppose Israel
- The Age to Come
- Is America In Bible Prophecy?
- Has Bible Prophecy Already Been Fulfilled?
- Salvation in The Tribulation
- Salvation in the Tribulation: Revisited
- God’s Purpose For The Tribulation
- Why God’s Purpose for the Tribulation excludes the Church
- Israel’s Fall Feasts and Date-Setting of the Rapture
- How Signs of the Times Relate to the Rapture and the Second Coming
- Necessity of an Interval between the Rapture and the 2nd Coming
- The Death and Resurrection of The Beast
- The Mark of the Beast
- Why I Believe The Bible Teaches Rapture Before Tribulation
- Perhaps Today – The Imminent Coming of Christ
- The Last Trumpet
- The Marriage Supper of the Lamb
- Literal Sacrifices In The Millennium
- One Thousand Years – Literal or Figurative?
- Daniel 9:1-27 The Prophecy of the Seventy Sevens, part I
- Daniel 9:24-27 The Prophecy of the Seventy Sevens – II
- Daniel 9:24-27 Concluding Thoughts on Daniel
- Daniel 9:20-27 The Seventy Weeks of Daniel - Mp3 Only!
- Daniel 9:24 The Seventy Weeks of Daniel - Mp3 Only!
- Daniel 9:25 The Seventy Weeks of Daniel - Mp3 Only!
- Daniel 9:26-27 The Seventy Weeks of Daniel - Mp3 Only!
- Daniel’s Seventieth Week
- Daniel 9. The Seventy Weeks
- The Seventy Weeks of Scripture
- Daniel and Revelation Compared Facing
- Daniel 9:1-3 Elements of True Prayer, Part 1
- Daniel 9:3-15 Elements of True Prayer, Part 2
- Daniel 9:16-19 Elements of True Prayer, Part 3
- Daniel 9:1-19 Characteristics of True Confession
- Daniel 9:1-19 Pattern of Prayer from a Man of Prayer
- Daniel 9:1-19 A Prayer of Brokenness
- Daniel 9:1-19 Characteristics of a Fervent Prayer Life - Part 1
- Daniel 9:1-19 Characteristics of a Fervent Prayer Life - Part 2
- Daniel 9:20-27 The Arrival of the King
- Daniel 9:27/Matthew 24:15 The Abomination of Desolation
- Daniel 9:20-24: Israel's Future--Part 1
- Daniel 9:20-24: Israel's Future--Part 1 - Study Guide
- Daniel 9:24-25: Israel's Future--Part 2
- Daniel 9:25: Timing of Messiah's Appearance-Study Guide-2
- Daniel 9:26-27: Israel's Future--Part 3
- Daniel 9:26-27: Israel's Future--Part 3 - Study Guide
- Daniel 9:26-27: The Great Tribulation - Study Guide
- Daniel 2,4-5 The Rise & Fall of World Powers
MAPS RELATED TO DANIEL - these maps are very high quality
NOTE - Do not duplicate. These are copyright by Holman Publishing.
- The Golden Age of King Josiah - Daniel would likely have lived during Josiah's reign before he was removed to Babylon
- World Powers in the 6th Century BC
- Nebuchadnezzar's Campaigns Against Judah
- Judah during the Exile
- Exile; Palestine in the Post-Exilic Period
- Jewish Exiles in Babylon
- Judah during the Exile
- The Return of the Jewish Exiles to Judah
- Conquests of Cyrus the Great
- The Persian Empire - Silver = Da 2:32, 39, Bear = Da 7:5; Ram = Da 8:6, 20 (539-323 BC)
- Alexander the Great's Empire - Bronze = Da 2:32, 39; Leopard = Da 7:6; Male Goat = Da 8:5-8, 21 (323-63 BC)
- Division of Alexander's Empire - Da 8:8
- Palestine Under the Ptolemies -
- The Seleucid Empire and Antiochus III
- Campaigns of Antiochus IV against Egypt - cp Da 8:9ff
- The Maccabees in 168 BCE
- Selected Events in the Maccabean Revolt
ALVA J MCCLAIN
- Daniel's Prophecy of the Seventy Weeks
- The First 69 Weeks and the Coming of the Messianic Prince
- The Parenthesis of Time Between the 69th and 70th Weeks
- The Seventieth Week, and The Coming of the Roman Prince
ROD MATTOON DANIEL COMMENTARY Literal interpretation
- Treasures from Daniel - 360 pages - list of illustrations on page 356
- Daniel's Seventieth Week Chart
- Commentary on Daniel 9:24,
- Commentary on Daniel 9:25,
- Commentary on Daniel 9:26,
- Commentary on Daniel 9:27
- Table comparing Rapture versus Second Coming
- OTHER ANCILLARY AIDS
- Chart: 70 years of Captivity
- Chart: 70 weeks Until...:
- Chart: Do the Math!:
- Daniel 9:1-2
- Daniel 9:3
- Daniel 9:4
- Daniel 9:5
- Daniel 9:6-7
- Daniel 9:8
- Daniel 9:9-11
- Daniel 9:12-13
- Daniel 9:14
- Daniel 9:15
- Daniel 9:16
- Daniel 9:17-19
- Daniel 9:20
- Daniel 9:21-23
- Daniel 9:24
- Daniel 9:25
- Daniel 9:26
- Daniel 9:26b
- Daniel 9:27
ROB SALVATO Daniel Sermon Notes
RAYMOND SAXE - sermon notes
- Daniel 9 Commentary
- Sermon Notes for Daniel 9
- Sermon Notes for Daniel 9:1 The Prayer of Daniel
- Sermon Notes for Daniel 9:22 The Messiah the Prince
- Sermon Notes for Daniel 9:25 This Is The Day
- Daniel 9:17 Prayer for the Church
- Daniel 9:17 Sermon Notes - A Man Troubled by His Thoughts
- Daniel 9:19: Daniel: A Pattern for Pleaders
- Daniel 9:23 The Dawn of Revival; or, Prayer Speedily Answered
- Daniel 9:24 Shutting, Sealing and Covering; or Messiah's Glorious work
- Daniel 9:8: A Deep Sense and Clear Sight of Sin - Devotionals
- Daniel 9:26: The Messiah Cut Off - Devotionals
TODAY IN THE WORD Devotionals