1 Peter: Trials, Holy Living & The Lord's Coming
Click chart to enlarge
Chart from Jensen's Survey of the NT - used by permission
Another Chart from Charles Swindoll - click chart on right side
Explanation - The following list includes not only commentaries but other Christian works by well known evangelical writers. Most of the resources below are newer works (written after 1970) which previously were available only for purchase in book form or in a Bible computer program. The resources are made freely available by archive.org but have several caveats - (1) they do not allow copy and paste, (2) they can only be checked out for one hour (but can be checked out immediately when your hour expires giving you time to read or take notes on a lengthy section) and (3) they require creating an account which allows you to check out the books free of charge. To set up an account click archive.org and then click the picture of the person in right upper corner and enter email and a password. That's all you have to do. Then you can read these more modern resources free of charge! I have read or used many of these resources but not all of them so ultimately you will need to be a Berean (Acts 17:11+) as you use them. I have also selected works that are conservative and Biblically sound. If you find one that you think does not meet those criteria please send an email at https://www.preceptaustin.org/
COMMENTARIES ON 1 Peter
The Preacher's outline & sermon Bible : New Testament, King James Version 1 Thessalonians, 2 Thessalonians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon, Hebrews, James, 1 Peter, 2 Peter, 1 John, 2 John, 3 John, Jude, Revelation.
Be hopeful (1 Peter) by Wiersbe, Warren Or here - Be hopeful
Bible Exposition Commentary - New Testament - Wiersbe
With the Word by Wiersbe, Warren 430 ratings Old and New Testament.
Wiersbe's Expository Outlines on the New Testament by Wiersbe, Warren W
Cyril Barber - This is a book of exceptional merit. Pastors, missionaries, and Christian workers will profit from its use. Wiersbe introduces each book of the NT, provides an outline, and then furnishes his readers with a chapter-by-chapter discussion of the contents. The homiletic style is a “plus.” Recommended.
First Peter by McGee, J. Vernon
First Peter in the Greek New Testament for the English reader by Wuest, Kenneth
See another online site that allows copy and paste
James Rosscup - Later available in paperback, this is one of Wuest’s better works on a New Testament book. It is based on the Greek text though presented so that the English reader can have a lucid exposition. The word studies are sometimes good even if brief and aimed for simple use.
First & Second Peter by Barbieri, Louis
Cyril Barber - An excellent volume to place in the hands of laypeople. Barbieri makes available a clear, thematic, biblically sound exposition of the text.
James Rosscup - A 126-pp., brief exposition by a former professor of Bible at Dallas Seminary. Barbieri surveys with some reference to historical setting and awareness of Greek, dealing concisely with certain of the problem passages. The work is geared for devotional reading or a quick summation for lay Bible studies.
The First Epistle of Peter : an introduction and commentary by Grudem, Wayne (from Tyndale NT Commentary series)
Cyril Barber - Replaces the handy, readable and reliable work by A. M. Stibbs and A. F. Walls (See this work below). Grudem discusses the text and provides numerous valuable insights into the writer's theme and theology. A most important asset is the author's use of extra-biblical literature
James Rosscup - An evangelical work which is at many points a good one, informative about views and helpful in the Greek. He holds to double predestination in 2:8, and says that God destined the stumbling and disobedience of the unsaved (p. 106). At 3:19–20, he believes the spirits in prison are unsaved humans of Noah’s day, who are now in prison. He has a special appendix going into the “spirits” passage at some length. His work replaces the former contribution by A. M. Stibbs and Andrew Walls. He favors traditional conservative views or, in the “spirits” case, his 36-page discussion takes one of the conservative options.
The First epistle general of Peter; by Stibbs, Alan M.
James Rosscup - Stibbs has done a fairly thorough and discerning work. This is a very good commentary on the English but based on a careful study of the Greek.
Hope in hurtful times : a study of 1 Peter : Bible study guide by Swindoll, Charles
New hope for life's challenges : reflections on 1 Peter by Swindoll, Charles
The message of 1 Peter : the way of the cross by Clowney, Edmund P
Cyril Barber - Clowney is a master in the art of homiletics and expository preaching. In this work he places before his readers a devoutand reliable commentary on Peter's first letter.
The communicator's commentary. James, 1, 2 Peter, Jude by Cedar, Paul A., (Now published as The Preacher's Commentary)
The Expositor's Bible Commentary - 1994 edition - Abridged - New Testament - Blum, Edwin. “I and II Peter,” in Expositor’s Bible Commentary,
James Rosscup - A perceptive evangelical work by a good scholar who offers help on problem verses and explains much of the material in a worthy way.
1 Peter; by Best, Ernest
Cyril Barber - 'First published in England in 1971, this competent study has only one major drawback: it is based on the text of the RSV Users, however, can still keep the Greek text before them as they gain insights from Best's exposition
James Rosscup - Best taught at the universities of St. Andrews and Glasgow, retiring in 1982. He concludes that Peter did not write the letter but that it came from pseudonymous authorship in the Petrine school (p. 63) between A. D. 80–100 (64) from Rome (65). Best has stimulating remarks on many verses, e. g. 1:5; 2:2, 3. His systematic and somewhat detailed comments on 3:19 conclude that Christ went prior to His resurrection to preach to angelic spirits in their prison a message of salvation which they possibly rejected (or else the passage is not clear as to the result), linking the text with bound angels in II Peter 2:4; Jude 6 and I Enoch. 10ff. This is at many points a good commentary even though rather brief in many instances. Many will not be able to follow his preferred view and defense of it on 4:6: Christ offered the Gospel to those after their deaths who had physically died prior to His death, who never had the opportunity to hear it when they were alive. For that adds up to a “second chance,” and Best’s answers to objections appear to be rather lame.
Trust and obey : a practical commentary on First Peter by Adams, Jay Edward (Well known nouthetic counselor)
The first epistle of Peter by Cranfield, C. E. B
James Rosscup - Cranfield is an outstanding exegete and offers comments of a critical, exegetical nature that are concise but helpful. One could wish so great a master had said more detail, as he does on Romans.
I & II Peter and Jude : introduction and commentary by Cranfield, C. E. B
The first epistle of Peter by Davids, Peter H New International Commentary on the New Testament. or here The first epistle of Peter
Cyril Barber - "This commentary . . . is comprehensive, up-to-date, and well-balanced. It adopts a moderate but enlightened approach to the interpretation if 1 Peter and will be a boon to all students of the NT, to teachers, and to pastors." --Joseph A. Fitzmyer.
James Rosscup - Davids is known for his fine commentary on James. Here he has a 42-page introduction that reviews issues in an evangelical manner and discusses scholarly literature. A 266-page commentary follows, in which he capably handles the Greek and deals with the different views on problem passages.
First and Second Peter by Watson, Duane Frederick (Paideia Series on the NT)
1 Peter : a commentary on First Peter by Achtemeier, Paul J
1 & 2 Peter : a self-study guide by Jensen, Irving
The theology of the letters of James, Peter, and Jude by Chester, Andrew, Martin, Ralph
1 and 2 Peter, Jude by Hillyer, N (New International Bible Commentary)
Commentary on First Peter by Leighton, Robert, (See note below on this work in other formats)
A commentary on the Epistles of Peter and of Jude by Kelly, J. N. D. (John Norman Davidson)
Cyril Barber - First published in 1969. This commentary treats the text in a detailed and concise fashion. The thematic unfolding of each writer's material is highly commendable, and the word studies drawn from early Christian and pagan literature enhance the overall value of this commentary.
James Rosscup - This is one of the better commentaries for the serious student. Kelly shows good scholarship and insight, and usually is helpful on problems. He has taught at Oxford University. He posits a date of A. D. 64 for I Peter but is not firm on authorship by Peter. He feels that Peter did not author II Peter, but that it was written later (ca. 100–110). But he is excellent in exegesis of the text and grappling with issues and views. On many verses he has a lot to contribute.
The First epistle of Peter : revised text, with introduction and commentary by Johnstone, Robert
Cyril Barber - These concise studies faithfully expound the Greek text and provide a solid foundation for a series of relevant messages. Works of this nature are rare and should be obtained and used by every Bible-teaching preacher
STUDY BIBLES - ONE VOLUME COMMENTARIES OF ENTIRE BIBLE,
BIBLE DICTIONARIES, GENERAL REFERENCE WORKS
Note: The first 4 resources have no time restriction and allow copy and paste function:
(1) KJV Bible Commentary - Hindson, Edward E; Kroll, Woodrow Michael. Over 3000 pages of the entire OT/NT. Well done conservative commentary that interprets Scripture from a literal perspective. Pre-millennial. User reviews - it generally gets 4/5 stars from users. - 372 ratings
Very well done conservative commentary that interprets Scripture from a literal perspective user reviews
The King James Version Bible Commentary is a complete verse-by-verse commentary. It is comprehensive in scope, reliable in scholarship, and easy to use. Its authors are leading evangelical theologians who provide practical truths and biblical principles. Any Bible student will gain new insights through this one-volume commentary based on the timeless King James Version of the Bible.
(2) The King James Study Bible Second Edition 2240 pages (2013) (Thomas Nelson) General Editor - Edward Hindson with multiple contributing editors. . 3,194 ratings. Pre-millennial. See introduction on How to Use this Study Bible.
(3) NKJV Study Bible: New King James Version Study Bible (formerly "The Nelson Study Bible - NKJV") by Earl D Radmacher; Ronald Barclay Allen; Wayne H House. 2345 pages. (1997, 2007). Very helpful notes. Conservative. Pre-millennial. 917 ratings
(4) The Wycliffe Bible Commentary - only the New Testament (for OT see below to borrow) - 1126 pages. (1971) Everett F Harrison - Editor of New Testament. Uses the KJV. Strictly speaking not a study Bible, but short notes are similar. KJV text in left column, commentary notes in right column. The comments are generally verse by verse, short, conservative and to the point. Pre-millennial.
Dictionary of Biblical Imagery - free for use online with no restrictions (i.e., you do not need to borrow this book). Editors Leland Ryken, J C Wilhoit, Tremper Longman III - This is a potential treasure chest to aid your preaching and teaching as it analyzes the meaning of a host of Biblical figures of speech. Clue - use the "One-page view" which then allows you to copy and paste text. One downside is there is no index, so you need to search 3291 pages for entries which are alphabetical.
Zondervan NIV Study Bible - (2011) 2570 pages - Use this one if available as it has more notes than edition below. One hour limit
NIV Study Bible by Barker, Kenneth L; Burdick, Donald W (1995) 2250 pages. This is the first edition. This resource has been fully revised in 2020. One hour limit
Believer's Bible Commentary - OT and NT - MacDonald, William (1995) 2480 pages. Conservative. Literal. Often has very insightful comments. John MacArthur, says "Concise yet comprehensive - the most complete single-volume commentary I have seen." Warren Wiersbe adds "For the student who is serious about seeing Christ in the Word." One hour limit.
Rosscup - This work, originally issued in 1983, is conservative and premillennial, written to help teachers, preachers and people in every walk of life with different views, explanation and application. The 2-column format runs verse by verse for the most part, usually in a helpfully knowledgeable manner, and there are several special sections such as “Prayer” in Acts and “Legalism” in Galatians. The premillennial view is evident on Acts 1:6, 3:20, Romans 11:26, Galatians 6:16, Revelation 20, etc.
HCSB Study Bible : Holman Christian Standard Bible - General Editor Jeremy Royal Howard (2010) 2360 pages. Conservative. Good notes. Include Holmans excellent maps. One hour limit
Life Application Study Bible: Old Testament and New Testament: New Living Translation. Has some very helpful notes especially with application of texts. 4,445 ratings. See also Life application New Testament commentary - Bruce Barton
The MacArthur Study Bible - John MacArthur. Brief but well done notes for conservative, literal perspective. 1,275 ratings
ESV Study Bible - Excellent resource but not always literal in eschatology and the nation of Israel 6,004 ratings
The David Jeremiah Study Bible - (2013) 2208 pages. 2,272 ratings Logos.com - "Drawing on more than 40 years of study, Dr. David Jeremiah has compiled a legacy resource that will make an eternal impact on generations to come. 8,000 study notes. Hundreds of enriching word studies"50+ Essentials of the Christian Faith" articles."
Ryrie Study Bible Expanded Edition (1994) 2232 pages
The Defender's Study Bible : King James Version by Morris, Henry M. Excellent notes by well known creationist. 45 ratings
New Bible Commentary - (1994) See user reviews
Evangelical Commentary on the Bible - Judges by Andrew Boling (20 pages); editor Walter Elwell (1989) 1239 pages. User reviews.
The Experiencing God Study Bible: the Bible for knowing and doing the will of God - Blackaby, Henry (1996) 1968 pages - CHECK THIS ONE! Each chapter begins with several questions under the title "PREPARE TO MEET GOD." Then you will interesting symbols before many of the passages. The chapter ends with a "DID YOU NOTICE?" question. This might make a "dry chapter" jump off the page! Read some of the 48 ratings
NLT Study Bible (Illustration Version)
Disciple's Study Bible: New international version 54 ratings Not that helpful for verse by verse study. Focuses on application of Christian doctrines. 10,000 annotations; doctrinal summaries, "Life Helps" section relate doctrine to everyday discipleship.
The Living Insights Study Bible : New International Version - Charles Swindoll. Notes are good but somewhat sparse and not verse by verse.
The Apologetics Study Bible Understand Why You Believe by Norman Geisler
NIV Archaeological Study Bible (2005) 2360 pages 950 ratings (See also Archaeology and the Bible - OT and NT)
NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible. Bringing to Life the Ancient World of Scripture Keener, Craig and Walton, John. Editors (2017)
J.Sidlow Baxter: Explore The Book - pdf Vol. 6 Acts to Revelation
The Holman Illustrated Study Bible 120 ratings Includes the excellent Holman maps but otherwise of little help in serious study.
Dictionary of the later New Testament & its developments 71 ratings IVP Series
The third of IVP's critically acclaimed series of dictionaries of the New Testament provides focused study on the often-neglected portions of the New Testament: Acts, Hebrews, the General Epistles, and Revelation. Furthermore, its scope goes beyond the life of the New Testament church to include the work of the apostolic fathers and early Christianity up through the middle of the second century.
Halley's Bible Handbook Henry H. Halley - (2000) 2720 pages (much larger than original edition in 1965 and no time limit on use). (Halley's Bible handbook : an abbreviated Bible commentary - one hour limit 1965 872 pages)
Rosscup - A much-used older evangelical handbook bringing together a brief commentary on Bible books, some key archaeological findings, historical background, maps, quotes, etc. It is helpful to a lay Bible teacher, Sunday School leader, or pastor looking for quick, pertinent information on a Bible book. This is the 72nd printing somewhat revised. Halley packed in much information. Unger’s is better overall, but that is not to say that Halley’s will not provide much help on basic information.
The Shaw Pocket Bible Handbook - Editor - Walter Elwell (1984) 408 pages.
"This hardback is small in size but packed full of content: Brief summaries of every book of the bible, cultural, archaeological and historical info, word definitions, pictures, maps and charts." Worth checking!
- 1 Peter 1:22-2:3 Love and the Word
- 1 Peter 2:4-10 Spiritual Pursuits
- 1 Peter 2:9-12 Duties of Aliens and Strangers
- 1 Peter 2:13-17 The Christian and Government
- 1 Peter 2:18-25 Duties of Slaves to Masters
- 1 Peter 1:22 - 2:3 - "The Life-Giving Word"
- 1 Peter 2:4-10 - "Built on the Living Stone"
- 1 Peter 2:8b-10 - "A People for Praise (part 1)"
- 1 Peter 2:8b-10 - "A People for Praise (part 2)"
- 1 Peter 2:11,12 - "Earthly Righteousness and Eternal Glory
- 1 Peter 2:13-17 - "The Testimony of the Free
- 1 Peter 2:18-25 (part 1) - "Suffering Servants" (lost)
- 1 Peter 2:18-25 (part 2) - "Jesus, the Life-Giving Shepherd
- 1 Peter 2:21a Satisfaction in Suffering (Part 4)
- 1 Peter 2:21b Satisfaction in Suffering (Part 5)
- 1 Peter 2:21c-23 Satisfaction in Suffering (Part 6)
- 1 Peter 2:1-12 Good Advice on the Christian Life
- 1 Peter 2:13-17 Be Model Citizens
- 1 Peter 2:18-25 Our Boss & Our Cross
JOHN H BENNETCH - $
- 1 Peter 2:19-20 Exegetical Studies in 1 Peter Pt 8
- 1 Peter 2:21-22 Exegetical Studies in 1 Peter Pt 9
- 1 Peter 2:24-15 Exegetical Studies in 1 Peter Part 10
- 1 Peter 2:21-25 Imitators of Christ - (Part 1)
- 1 Peter 2:21-25 Imitators of Christ - (Part 2)
- 1 Peter 2:21-25 Imitators of Christ - (Part 3)
- 1 Peter 2:24-25 Christ:The Shepherd and Bishop of our Soul
- 1 Peter 2 Commentary
- 1 Peter 2 Commentary - more English
- 1 Peter 1:22-2:3 I’m Saved…Now What?
- 1 Peter 2:4-8 Privileges Of Believers
- 1 Peter 2:9-12 Marks Of The People Of God
- 1 Peter 2:13–25 Submission To Authorities
CAMBRIDGE GREEK TESTAMENT
CHURCH PULPIT COMMENTARY (JAMES NISBET)
- 1 Peter 2:1-3 Getting Into The Word
- 1 Peter 2:4-10 The Priorities Of God's People
- 1 Peter 2:11-12 The Pilgrim Life
- 1 Peter 2:11-12 The Pilgrim Life - Part 2
- 1 Peter 2:13-17 Christian Citizenship
- 1 Peter 2:18-23 What To Do When Your Boss Isn't Fair
- 1 Peter 2:24-25 The Meaning Of The Cross
- 1 Peter 2:1-5 The Spiritual Temple
- 1 Peter 2:1-5 Building the Spiritual House of God
- 1 Peter 2:19-25 Our Sin Bearer
- 1 Peter 2:21-23 The Sin Bearer
- 1 Peter 1:22-2:3 Loving The Brethren
- 1 Peter 2:4-10 The Cornerstone
- 1 Peter 2:11-3:7 Submission To Authority
- 1 Peter 2:2 sincere of the word
- 1 Peter 2:3 If so be
- 1 Peter 2:4 living stone chosen of God
- 1 Peter 2:5 spiritual house priesthood spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God
- 1 Peter 2:6 chief corner stone be confounded
- 1 Peter 2:7 head of the corner
- 1 Peter 2:8 rock of offence
- 1 Peter 2:9 generation priesthood peculiar people
- 1 Peter 2:11 as strangers and pilgrims
- 1 Peter 2:12 behold day of visitation
- 1 Peter 2:13 ordinance of man
- 1 Peter 2:15 ignorance
- 1 Peter 2:18 froward
- 1 Peter 2:19 thankworthy
- 1 Peter 2:21 follow his steps
- 1 Peter 2:22 did no sin
- 1 Peter 2:24 bare live unto righteousness healed
- 1 Peter 2:25 returned Shepherd and Bishop
- 1 Peter 1:22-2:3 The Enduring Word
- 1 Peter 2:4-10 Rock Talk—The Rock and Your Role
- 1 Peter 2:11-12 True Spirituality Down to Earth About Hope of Heaven
- 1 Peter 2:13-17 Submission to Civil Authorities
- 1 Peter 2:18-25 The Submission of Slaves to Masters
Click page for links to sermons below - these are audio only
- 1 Peter 2:6-10 The Priesthood
- 1 Peter 2:11-20 Aliens Under Authority
- 1 Peter 2:21-25 In His Steps
GENE GETZ - principles from the respective passages
- 1 Peter 2:1-5; Spiritual Growth: To grow together by obeying God, we must deliberately and consistently learn the Scriptures. Video
- 1 Peter 2:9-12; A Holy People: To be God's witness in this world, local churches must function as dynamic, transformed communities that reflect God's holiness. Video
- 1 Peter 2:13-17; Human Institutions: As Christ-followers, we are to be obedient within all human institutions and structures without violating biblical values. Video
- 1 Peter 2:18-25; Subservient Roles: As those who occupy subservient roles, we are to do all we can within the will of God to respect and submit to those we serve. Video
- Was Saint Peter the first Pope?
- What does it mean that “by His stripes we are healed”?
- What does it mean that Jesus Christ is the cornerstone?
- What does it mean that Jesus and believers are living stones in 1 Peter 2:4-5?
- What does 1 Peter 2:9 mean when it refers to believers as peculiar people?
EVERETT F HARRISON - begun by Harrison, concluded by Bennetech
YOU MUST PAY FOR THESE BUT CAN GET ACCESS FOR ONE MONTH FOR $5 - click for studies below
- 1 Peter 2:1-10 Exegetical Studies in 1 Peter Pt 6
- 1 Peter 2:11-37 Exegetical Studies in 1 Peter Pt 7
- 1 Peter 2:19-20 Exegetical Studies in 1 Peter Pt 8 JOHN H BENNETCH:
- 1 Peter 2:21-22 Exegetical Studies in 1 Peter Pt 9 JOHN H BENNETCH:
- 1 Peter 2:24-15 Exegetical Studies in 1 Peter Part 10 JOHN H BENNETCH:
- 1 Peter 2:4-5 The Temple of Living Stones
- 1 Peter 2:21 A Propitiation and a Pattern
- 1 Peter 2:24 The Ethics of the Atonement
- 1 Peter 1:22 - 2:3 "How Deep Is Your Love?"
- 1 Peter 2:4-10 "Living Stones"
- 1 Peter 2:9-17 Are YOU Independent?
- 1 Peter 2:11-12,15 "Shut Their Mouths"
- 1 Peter 2:12 Witnessing By Words and Deeds
- 1 Peter 2:13-14,16-17 "Trust Authority"
- 1 Peter 2:13-17 How Would Jesus Vote?
- 1 Peter 2:13-17 Can You Separate a Christian and Politics?
- 1 Peter 2:15-17 Freedom and Slavery
- 1 Peter 2:18-25 "If Your Boss Is A Jerk?"
- 1 Peter 2:21-24 Healed By His Wounds
INTO THY WORD - NOTES - Richard J. Krejcir
- 1 Peter 1:22-2:3 The Enduring Word!
- 1 Peter 2:4-10 The Chosen Stone!
- 1 Pete 2:11-12 Living Honorably!
- 1 Peter 2:13-17 Responsibility to the Government!
- 1 Peter 2:18-25 Responsibility to those in Authority!
LOWELL JOHNSON 1 PETER SERMONS
Well done, outline form, alliteration, illustrations, etc
- Got Milk? 1 Peter 1:22-2:3
- The Rock and Our Role 1 Peter 2:4-10
- Making God Look Good 1 Peter 2:11-12
- The Footprints of Jesus 1 Peter 2:19-25
- 1 Peter 2:1-10 The Living Stones and the Spiritual House.
- 1 Peter 2:11-17 The Ministry of Seemly Behaviour.
- 1 Peter 2:21-25 The Sufferings of Christ
- Three Steps to Spiritual Growth - 1 Peter 2:1-3
- The Living Stone - 1 Peter 2:4-10
- How To Deal With Critics - 1 Peter 2:11-20
- The Suffering Of Christ - 1 Peter 2:21-25
- 1 Peter 2:1,2
- 1 Peter 2:3
- 1 Peter 2:4,5
- 1 Peter 2:6
- 1 Peter 2:7, 8
- 1 Peter 2:9
- 1 Peter 2:10
- 1 Peter 2:11
- 1 Peter 2:12
- 1 Peter 2:13, 14
- 1 Peter 2:15, 16
- 1 Peter 2:17
- 1 Peter 2:18-20
- 1 Peter 2:21-23
- 1 Peter 2:24
- 1 Peter 2:25
- The MacArthur Study Bible - borrow
- 1 Peter 2:1-3 Hungering for God's Word
- 1 Peter 2:1-3 Desiring the Word
- 1 Peter 2:1-3 Cultivating a Hunger for God's Word
- 1 Peter 2:4-5a: The Believer's Privileges = Union Pt 1 - Study Guide (see dropdown)
- 1 Peter 2:4-5a The Believer's Privileges = Union Pt 1 - Sermon
- 1 Peter 2:5b The Believer's Privileges = Access Pt 2 - Sermon
- 1 Peter 2:5b The Believer's Privileges = Access Pt 2 - Study Guide (see dropdown)
- 1 Peter 2:5b The Believer's Privileges = Access Pt 3 - Sermon
- 1 Peter 2:5b The Believer's Privileges = Access Pt 3 - Study Guide (see dropdown)
- 1 Peter 2:6-8 The Believer's Privileges = Security Pt 4 - Sermon
- 1 Peter 2:6-8 The Believer's Privileges = Security Pt 4 - Study Guide (see dropdown)
- 1 Peter 2:9a The Believer's Privileges = Election Pt 5 - Sermon
- 1 Peter 2:9a The Believer's Privileges = Election Pt 5 - Study Guide (see dropdown)
- 1 Peter 2:9 The Believer's Privileges = Separation, etc Pt 6 - Sermon
- 1 Peter 2:9 The Believer's Privileges = Separation, etc Pt 6 - Study Guide (see dropdown)
- 1 Peter 2:11-12 Godly Living Study Guide (see dropdown)
- 1 Peter 2:11-12 Godly Living - Sermon
- 1 Peter 2:13 Submission to Civil Authority Pt 1
- 1 Peter 2:13-17 Submission to Civil Authority Pt 2
- 1 Peter 2:13-17 Silencing the Critics, Pt. 3
- 1 Peter 2:13 Submission to Civil Authority--Pt 1 - Study Guide (see dropdown)
- 1 Peter 2:13-17 Submission to Civil Authority-Pt 2 - Study Guide (see dropdown)
- 1 Peter 2:18-19 Submission in the Workplace Pt 1 - Sermon
- 1 Peter 2:18-19 Submission in the Workplace Pt 1 - Study Guide (see dropdown)
- 1 Peter 2:19-23 Submission in the Workplace Pt 2 - Sermon
- 1 Peter 2:19-23 Submission in Workplace Pt 2 - Study Guide (see dropdown)
- 1 Peter 2:21 Jesus' Death Shows Us How to Live
- 1 Peter 2:21-23 The Suffering Jesus: An Example - Sermon
- 1 Peter 2:21-23 The Suffering Jesus: An Example - Study Guide (see dropdown)
- 1 Peter 2:24-25 The Suffering Jesus: Our Substitute and Shepherd - Sermon
- 1 Peter 2:24-25 The Suffering Jesus: Our Substitute & Shepherd - Study Guide (see dropdown)
- 1 Peter 2:21a Glory Through Suffering
- 1 Peter 2:4,5 Living Stones on the Living Foundation Stone
- 1 Peter 2:5 Spiritual Sacrifices
- 1 Peter 2:9 Mirrors of God
- 1 Peter 2:21 Christ the Exemplar
HENRY MAHAN - Commentary and sermons
- 1 Peter 2 - Commentary
- 1 Peter 2:2-4 True Believers Never Quit
- 1 Peter 2:6-9 The Chief Cornerstone
- 1 Peter 2:7 Four Precious Things
D MARTYN LLOYD-JONES - Mp3's from one of the master expositors of all time!
- 1 Peter 2:2 A New Birth
- 1 Peter 2:2 The People of God
- 1 Peter 2:2-5 Access to God
- 1 Peter 2:4-6 The Living Stone
- 1 Peter 2:6 Be Not Confounded
- 1 Peter 2:6-8 A Stone of Stumbling
- 1 Peter 2:9 Who Is This God?
- 1 Peter 2:9-10 What is Man?
- 1 Peter 2:9-25 The Call of the Gospel
- 1 Peter 2:11-12 A Chosen Generation
P G MATTHEW - sermons
- 1 Peter 2:1-3 The Perfect Christian Diet
- 1 Peter 2:4-8 The Ministry of the Rock
- The Priesthood of All Believers
- 1 Peter 2:1-10 The Priesthood of All Believers, Part One
- 1 Peter 2:4-8 The Priesthood of All Believers, Part Two
- 1 Peter 2:4-9 The Priesthood of All Believers, Part Four
- 1 Peter 2:4-8 The Priesthood of All Believers, Part Five
- 1 Peter 2:9,10 The Priesthood of All Believers, Part 7A
- 1 Peter 2:9,10 The Priesthood of All Believers, Part 7B
- 1 Peter 2:9,10 The Priesthood of All Believers, Part Eight
- 1 Peter 2:9-10 Who We Are, What We Do
- 1 Peter 2:11-12 Shine as Stars in the Universe
- 1 Peter 2:13-17 Submit to God
- 1 Peter 2:18-21 Submission and Suffering
- 1 Peter 2:22-25 Christ Submitted to the Father
- 1 Peter 2:22-25 Christ Submitted to the Father
- 1 Peter 2:1-3 The Design for Growth.
- 1 Peter 2:4-6 Three Eternal Stones.
- 1 Peter 2:9 The Church Needs To Get Out.
- 1 Peter 2:7-10 The Value of Christianity.
- 1 Peter 2:4-8 Christ Is the Rock. (and Matt 16:18)
- 1 Peter 2:11-17 Guideline for Christian Behavior.
- 1 Peter 2:18-25 Submission.
- First Peter by McGee, J. Vernon - Borrow
- 1 Peter 2 Through the Bible - Mp3's
- 1 Peter 2:1-3 God's Newborn Babes and Their Food
- 1 Peter 2:4-10 The Precious Corner Stone
- 1 Peter 2:11-12 The Plea for a Blameless Life
- 1 Peter 2:13-16 God's Slaves
- 1 Peter 2:20 Taking Things Patiently
- 1 Peter 2:21-25 The Footprints of the Flock
- 1 Peter 2:24 - Our Daily Homily
J R MILLER
G CAMPBELL MORGAN
WILLIAM NICHOLSON, 1862
- 1 Peter 2:1 Honestly
- 1 Peter 2:1-12 Grow Baby Grow
- 1 Peter 2:1-12 Spiritual Famine
- 1 Peter 2:1-12 Word Hunger
- 1 Peter 2:1-10 My People
- 1 Peter 2:1-10 All That Is Precious
- 1 Peter 2:2 Pure Milk
- 1 Peter 2:2 Open Wide
- 1 Peter 2:2 The "Chewing" Years
- 1 Peter 2:4 Coade Stone
- 1 Peter 2:5
- 1 Peter 2:5 Sacrifices That Please God
- 1 Peter 2:9 A Strong Constitution
- 1 Peter 2:9 Living Like Royalty
- 1 Peter 2:9 Who We Are
- 1 Peter 2:9 Honorable Living
- 1 Peter 2:9-10 Shine On!
- 1 Peter 2:9 Leaning into the Light
- 1 Peter 2:9 A Beautiful Melody
- 1 Peter 2:9a A Special People
- 1 Peter 2:9b Ex Cons
- 1 Peter 2:9-12 True Blue
- 1 Peter 2:9-17 God's To-Do List
- 1 Peter 2:9-17 Uncommon Beauty
- 1 Peter 2:9-17 National Pride
- 1 Peter 2:9-17 The Value Of A Life
- 1 Peter 2:9-17 Setting The Example
- 1 Peter 2:11 Pilgrims
- 1 Peter 2:11 Ultimate Pilgrim
- 1 Peter 2:11-19
- 1 Peter 2:11-21 Credibility
- 1 Peter 2:12 Quiet Witness
- 1 Peter 2:12. A Better World
- 1 Peter 2:12 Responding To Criticism
- 1 Peter 2:12 The Parable Of The Sting
- 1 Peter 2:12 The Best Policy
- 1 Peter 2:13-20 Suffering For What's Right
- 1 Peter 2:15 For Remedy
- 1 Peter 2:15: A Platform of Respect
- 1 Peter 2:17 A Mutual Friend
- 1 Peter 2:17 Wind and Fire
- 1 Peter 2:18-25 Standing Tall
- 1 Peter 2:20 When We're Wronged
- 1 Peter 2:21 Tale Of The Goats
- 1 Peter 2:21 Virtue Exemplified
- 1 Peter 2:18-25 Persecution That Backfired
- 1 Peter 2:21 Full Flavor
- 1 Peter 2:21 Strength in Suffering
- 1 Peter 2:23. What Jesus Didn't Do
- 1 Peter 2:23 Right & Wronged
- 1 Peter 2:23. Reckless Words
- 1 Peter 2:23: In God's Hand's
- 1 Peter 2:24. Saved By The Lamb
- 1 Peter 2:24 Love Gives Value
- 1 Peter 2:24.The Talking Tree
- 1 Peter 2:24: Under His Wings
- 1 Peter 2:24 The Tree Of Love
- 1 Peter 2:24: From Bitter to Sweet
- 1 Peter 2:24: Lead Them To The Cross
- 1 Peter 2:24a Badness
- 1 Peter 2:1-3 Born of God
- 1 Peter 2:11-25 Behaving For God
- 1 Peter 2 :1-10 I Would Like To Tell You What I Think Of Jesus
- 1 Peter 2 :11-15 Being a Christian-American
- 1 Peter 2:1-3 The Christian Appetite
- 1 Peter 2 :21-25 In His Steps
- 1 Peter 2 :9 God's People
- 1 Peter 2:1-3 Long for the Pure Milk of the Word
- 1 Peter 2:1-10 Treasuring Christ Together Above All Things
- 1 Peter 2:1-12 Treasuring Christ Together, Part 1
- 1 Peter 2:4-8 Becoming a Spiritual House and Holy Priesthood
- 1 Peter 2:4-8 Why God Laid a Stone of Stumbling
- 1 Peter 2:7 How Much Is Jesus Worth?
- 1 Peter 2:9-17 Christ, Culture, and Abortion
- 1 Peter 2:9-10 Christian Identity and Christian Destiny
- 1 Peter 2:11-12 The War Against the Soul and the Glory of God
- 1 Peter 2:12 Good Deeds And The Glory Of God
- 1 Peter 2:12 "Tentmakers" in Minneapolis
- 1 Peter 2:12 The Pleasure of God in His Name
- 1 Peter 2:13-17 Being Pro-Life Christians…
- 1 Peter 2:13-17 Slaves of God: Free From All to Honor All
- 1 Peter 2:18-25 He Trusted To Him Who Judges Justly
- 1 Peter 2:18-23 How To Suffer for Doing What is Right
- 1 Peter 2:18-25 He Trusted To Him Who Judges Justly
- 1 Peter 2:21-25 Christ Died for Our Sins That We Might Die to Sin
MATT POSTIFF - - Fellowship Bible Church sermons
- 1 Peter 2:1-3 (docx)
- 1 Peter 2:4-8 (docx)
- 1 Peter 2:9-10 (docx)
- 1 Peter 2:11-12 (docx)
- 1 Peter 2:13-17 (docx)
- 1 Peter 2:18-25 (docx)
- 1 Peter 2:24-25 (docx)
- 1 Peter 2:1 Commentary
- 1 Peter 2:2 Commentary
- 1 Peter 2:3 Commentary
- 1 Peter 2:4 Commentary
- 1 Peter 2:5 Commentary
- 1 Peter 2:6 Commentary
- 1 Peter 2:7 Commentary
- 1 Peter 2:8 Commentary
- 1 Peter 2:9 Commentary
- 1 Peter 2:10 Commentary
- 1 Peter 2:11 Commentary
- 1 Peter 2:12 Commentary
- 1 Peter 2:13 Commentary
- 1 Peter 2:14 Commentary
- 1 Peter 2:15 Commentary
- 1 Peter 2:16 Commentary
- 1 Peter 2:17 Commentary
- 1 Peter 2:18 Commentary
- 1 Peter 2:19 Commentary
- 1 Peter 2:20 Commentary
- 1 Peter 2:21 Commentary
- 1 Peter 2:22 Commentary
- 1 Peter 2:23 Commentary
- 1 Peter 2:24 Commentary
- 1 Peter 2:25 Commentary
- 1 Peter 2:1-3 Got Milk?
- 1 Peter 2:4-10 Welcome to the Priesthood
- 1 Peter 2:11-12 How Your Life Can Change Those Around You
- 1 Peter 2:13-17 Serving God in an Unbelieving World
- 1 Peter 2:18-20 When Doing Right Gets You in Trouble
- 1 Peter 2:21-25 In His Steps
JAMES QUIGGLE COMMENTARY
- 1 Pet 2:2
- 1 Pet 2:4
- 1 Pet 2:5
- 1 Pet 2:6
- 1 Pet 2:7
- 1 Pet 2:8
- 1 Pet 2:9–10
- 1 Pet 2:9
- 1 Pet 2:10
- 1 Pet 2:11
- 1 Pet 2:12
- 1 Pet 2:13
- 1 Pet 2:16
- 1 Pet 2:17
- 1 Pet 2:18
- 1 Pet 2:21
- 1 Pet 2:22
- 1 Pet 2:24
- 1 Pet 2:25
- 1 Peter 2:1, 2:1b, 2:1c, 2:1d, 2:1e, 2:1f, 2:1g, 2:1h, 2:2, 2:2b, 2:2c
- 2:2d, 2:3, 2:3b, 2:4, 2:4b, 2:4b, 2:4c, 2:5, 2:5b, 2:5c, 2:5d, 2:5e
- 2:6, 2:6b, 2:6c, 2:6d, 2:7, 2:7b, 2:7c, 2:8, 2:8b, 2:8c, 2:9, 2:9a, 2:9b
- 2:9c, 2:9d, 2:9e, 2:9f, 2:10, 2:10b, 2:11, 2:11b, 2:11c, 2:11d, 2:11e
- 2:11f, 2:11g, 2:12, 2:12b, 2:12c, 2:12d, 2:12e, 2:13, 2:13b, 2:13c
- 2:14, 2:15, 2:16, 2:17, 2:17b, 2:17c, 2:17d, 2:18, 2:18b, 2:18c, 2:19
- 2:19b, 2:19c, 2:19d, 2:20, 2:20b, 2:20c, 2:21, 2:21b, 2:21c, 2:21d
- 2:22, 2:23, 2:23b, 2:23c, 2:24, 2:24b, 2:24c, 2:24d, 2:25
- 1 Peter 2:1-10 How Can We be Spiritually Mature In The Midst Of Suffering?
- 1 Peter 2:11-17 What Should Be Our Community Responsibility In Suffering?
- 1 Peter 2:18-25 How Should We Respond to Market--Place Injustice?
- 1 Peter 2:9 Divine Paradoxes
- 1 Peter 2-5,9 The priesthood of the believer
- 1 Peter 2:17 Showing Respect
- 1 Peter 2:24 God's Christmas Tree
- 1 Peter 2:9-12 Work as Witness - for transcript see "Notes"
- 1 Peter 2:1-10: How To Grow Up
- 1 Peter 2:11-17: God and Caesar
- 1 Peter 2:18-25: The Suffering Servant
- 1 Peter 2:1-8 Rolling Stones Or Living Stones
- 1 Peter 2:5, 9-10 The Priesthood Of Believers
- 1 Peter 2:11-12 Balancing Our Worlds
- 1 Peter 2:13-25 Conduct Like Christ
RAYMOND SAXE - Fellowship Bible Church sermons - several links do not work
SERMON BIBLE COMMENTARY
- 1 Peter 2 Sermons - Scroll Down for following sermons
- 1 Peter 2:1-3 Growth in Grace is to Be Desired
- 1 Peter 2:4,5 The Temple a Type
- 1 Peter 2:6 The Security of Those Who Believe in Christ
- 1 Peter 2:7 Christ Precious to Believer
- 1 Peter 2:7-10 The Different States of Believers and Unbelievers
- 1 Peter 2:13-17 Subjection to Civil Government
- 1 Peter 2:19-23 How to Bear Injuries
- 1 Peter 2:24 The Vicarious Sacrifice of Christ
- 1 Peter 2:25 The Nature of True Conversion Stated
- 1 Peter 1:1-12 Strangers in a Strange Land
- 1 Peter 1:13-2:3 The Deliberate Life
- 1 Peter 2:4-12 All in the Family
- 1 Peter 2:8,9 From Darkness to Light
- 1 Peter 2:20-23 Christ Our Example
- 1 Peter 2:21-25 Purpose of Our Calling
- Study Guide for 1 Peter
- Through the Bible Series 1 Peter 1-2
JAMES SMITH - HANDFULS ON PURPOSE, 1943
- THE WORD OF GOD. 1 Peter 1:23-25; 2:1,2
- CHRIST, THE LIVING STONE. 1 Peter 2:4-8
- A PECULIAR PEOPLE. 1 Peter 2:9-12
- THE MINISTRY OF SEEMLY BEHAVIOR. 1 Peter 2:11-25
SPIRIT AND TRUTH COMMENTARY
R C SPROUL - LIGONIER MINISTRY - DEVOTIONALS
- 1 Peter 2:1–3 Pure Spiritual Milk
- 1 Peter 2:4–5 A Spiritual House
- 1 Peter 2:6–8 Our Cornerstone
- 1 Peter 2:9–10 The People of God
- 1 Peter 2:11–12 Honorable Conduct
- 1 Peter 2:12 Bishops/Elders
- 1 Peter 2:12 Bishops/Elders
- 1 Peter 2:15–17 True Freedom
- 1 Peter 2:18–20 Righteous Suffering
- 1 Peter 2:20b–21 Called to Suffer
- 1 Peter 2:21–23 Christ Our Example
- 1 Peter 2:22 Holy Truth
- 1 Peter 2:22–25 Bearing Our Sins in His Body
- 1 Peter 2:24–25 By His Wounds
- 1 Peter 2:25 Overseer
- 1 Peter 2:25 Bishop of Our Souls
- 1 Peter 2:25 Shepherd and Overseer
- 1 Peter 2:25 Our Shepherd and Overseer
- 1 Peter 2 Commentary
- 1 Peter 2:1-3 A Sermon For Men of Taste
- 1 Peter 2:3 The Test of Taste
- 1 Peter 2:4 Coming-Always Coming - Pdf
- 1 Peter 2:4: Coming to Christ
- 1 Peter 2:4-5 The True Priesthood, Temple and Sacrifice - Pdf
- 1 Peter 2:5 The Priesthood of Believers
- 1 Peter 2:6 Faith's Sure Foundation
- 1 Peter 2:7 Christ Precious to Believers - 2137
- 1 Peter 2:7: Christ Precious to Believers - 242
- 1 Peter 2:7 A Sermon and a Reminiscence
- 1 Peter 2:7 Three Precious Things
- 1 Peter 2:7, 8 Jesus, the Stumbling Stone of Unbelievers - Pdf
- 1 Peter 2:7 A Sermon From A Sick Preacher
- 1 Peter 2:8 Stumbling at the Word
- 1 Peter 2:9 Marvelous Light
- 1 Peter 2:23-25 The Withering Work of the Spirit
- 1 Peter 2:24-25: Sin-Bearer
- 1 Peter 2:24 Death For Sin and Death to Sin
- 1 Peter 2:24 Our Lord's Substitution
- 1 Peter 2:3a - Devotional
- 1 Peter 2:7 He is Precious - Devotional
- Therefore, rid yourselves - 1 Peter 2:1
- Newborn babies - 1 Peter 2:2-3
- Kingdom Living: Temple and Priesthood - 1 Peter 2:4-10
- The living Stone - 1 Peter 2:4
- Living stones - 1 Peter 2:5
- Precious cornerstone - 1 Peter 2:6
- What they were destined for - 1 Peter 2:7-8
- A chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation - 1 Peter 2:9
- Not a people . . . are the people of God - 1 Peter 2:10
- Behaviors and Attitudes in Social Relationships - 1 Peter 2:11-3:12
- Avoidance of Wordly Ways - 1 Peter 2:11-12
- Sinful desires - 1 Peter 2:11
- Accuse you of doing wrong - 1 Peter 2:12
- Submission to Civil Authorities - 1 Peter 2:13-17
- Submit yourselves . . . to every authority - 1 Peter 2:13-15
- Live as free men - 1 Peter 2:16
- Proper respect to everyone - 1 Peter 2:17
- The Covenant Home - 1 Peter 2:18-3:7
- Slaves - 1 Peter 2:18-20
- To this you were called . . . leaving you an example - 1 Peter 2:21
- Christ suffered- 1 Peter 2:22-24
- Now you have returned - 1 Peter 2:25
DAVID THOMPSON - each pdf about 5 pages. Conservative. Evangelical. Millennial.
- 1 Peter 2:1
- 1 Peter 2:1-3
- 1 Peter 2:4-8
- 1 Peter 2:4-9
- 1 Peter 2:9
- 1 Peter 2:9-12
- 1 Peter 2:11-17
- 1 Peter 2:13-17
- 1 Peter 2:18-25
- 1 Peter 2:19-23
VALLEY BIBLE CHURCH Transcripts on 1 Peter
Note that the following messages are all available on this page - the earlier chapters are at the bottom of the page which is why the order below proceeds from chapter 5 at the top to chapter 1 at the bottom (this is the way they are listed on the page)
- The Suffering of Jesus - Part 2 1 Peter 2:21-25
- The Suffering of Jesus - Part 1 : 1 Peter 2:21-25
- Submission to the Master - Part 2 : 1 Peter 2:18-20
- Submission to the Master - Part 1: 1 Peter 2:18-20
- Christian Submission to Government - Part 3: 1 Peter 2:13-17
- Christian Submission to Government - Part 2: 1 Peter 2:13-17
- Christian Submission to Government - Part 1: 1 Peter 2:13-17
- Good Conduct Among Gentiles: 1 Peter 2:11-12
- The Priesthood of Believers: 1 Peter 2:4-10
- Our Privileges - Part 7: 1 Peter 2:4-10
- Our Privileges - Part 6: 1 Peter 2:4-10
- Our Privileges - Part 5: 1 Peter 2:4-10
- Our Privileges - Part 4: 1 Peter 2:4-10
- Our Privileges - Part 3: 1 Peter 2:4-10
- Our Privileges - Part 2: 1 Peter 2:4-10
- Our Privileges - Part 1: 1 Peter 2:4-10
- The Pure Milk of His Word - Part 2: 1 Peter 2:1-3
- The Pure Milk of His Word - Part 1: 1 Peter 2:1-3
- 1 Peter 2:1-10 A People Belonging to God
- 1 Peter 2:11-25 How to be Different
- God's People 1 Peter 2:9-12