THOMAS ADAMS (1652)
Spurgeon - “Full of quaintnesses, holy wit, bright thought, and deep instruction. We like Adams better in commenting than in preaching. His great work is quite by itself, and in its own way remains unrivalled. We know no richer and racier reading.”
JACK ARNOLD - Sermons
- 2 Peter 3:1-9 Mockers of the Second Advent
- 2 Peter 3:10-13 Consummation of the World
- 2 Peter 3:14-18 Commands in View of Christs Coming
- 2 Peter 3 - Mockers are Not New
Charles Spurgeon regarded Burkitt's commentary as a "goodly volume," and recommended "attentive perusal" of it.
- 2 Peter 3:1-7 Mockers and the Coming Judgment
- 2 Peter 3:8-9 Why Doesn't Christ Return?
- 2 Peter 3:10-13 Living in Light of That Day
- 2 Peter 3:14-16 Diligent Perseverance in Light of That Day
- 2 Peter 3:17-18 Guarding, Growing, Glorifying
W A CRISWELL Sermons on 2 Peter
- 2 Peter 3:1-4 The Time On God's Clock
- 2 Peter 3:1-9 Jesus is Coming Again
- 2 Peter 3:1-18 The End of the World
- 2 Peter 3:4 The Promised Coming
- 2 Peter 3:4 Where is the Promise of His Coming?
- 2 Peter 3:5-13 The World On Fire
- 2 Peter 3:8 The Time On God's Clock
- 2 Peter 3:9 Lest Any Perish
- 2 Peter 3:10-13 When The World Is On Fire
- 2 Peter 3:18 Growing in Grace
- 2 Peter 3:1-13 Scoffers, the Second Coming, and Scripture
- 2 Peter 3:14-16 Peter and Paul
- 2 Peter 3:14-18 Scripture Twisters
CHARLES R ERDMAN
John Cereghin - Brief conservative comments. He defends Petrine authorship (109); holds that “the divine choice and call do not make human effort unnecessary” (117); teaches the premillernnial coming of the Lord (127); thinks that the “elements melting” does not mean literal fire but judgment (132)
- 2 Peter 3:1-4 As Were the Days of Noah
- 2 Peter 3:5-7 Judgment to Come
- 2 Peter 3:8,9 The Lord is Not Slack
- 2 Peter 3:10-13 What Manner of Persons Ought Ye to Be?
- 2 Peter 3:14-18 Be Ye Steadfast, Unmovable
GENE GETZ - short videos discussing Biblical principles related to the respective chapter.
- 2 Peter 3:1-9; Looking for Christ's Return: Even though Jesus Christ has not returned for nearly two thousand years, we should not become apathetic in looking for His return. Video
- 2 Peter 3:10-18; Motivation to Holiness: Since Christ will definitely return at some moment, all believers should stay ready by leading godly lives. Video
GOSPEL COALITION - Kent Hughes, A W Tozer, Jerry Bridges, Alistair Begg, Gary Inrig, Ian Murray, Dick Lucas, et al
- Book of 2 Peter - Bible Survey
- Questions about 2 Peter
- 2 Peter 3:8 What is God's relationship to time?
- 2 Peter 3:10 What is the day of the Lord?
- 2 Peter 3:10 What does the Bible say about the end of the world?
- What does it mean that heaven and earth will pass away?
- How can I overcome my fear of the end of days?
- What does the Bible mean when it refers to the end of the age?
- Does Bible prophecy predict that there will be a World War 3 (III, three) before the end times?
- 2 Peter 3:18 What does it mean to grow in grace?
- 2 Peter 3:18 How can I become more like Christ?
- How can I become more Christ-like?
- What is the difference between the Rapture and the Second Coming?
- What is the (2nd) Second Coming of Jesus Christ?
- Is it possible to know when Jesus is coming back?
- Does the Old Testament truly predict a second advent of the Messiah?
- Can the return of Christ truly be said to be imminent?
- Is Jesus coming soon?
- How are we to live our lives in light of Christ's return?
- What is the blessed hope?
- What does the Bible say about uniformitarianism vs. catastrophism?
- Is creationism scientific?
- What is the canopy theory?
- Why did the people in Genesis live such long lives?
- Was Noah's flood global or local?
- Had it ever rained before the Flood in Noah's day?
- What was the purpose of the flood in the time of Noah?
- Can the flood mentioned in Genesis be proven?
- Would the discovery of Noah's Ark be important?
- How long did it take Noah to build the ark? How long was Noah on the ark?
WILLIAM GUTHRIE -
- 2 Peter 3:1- 9 Would YOU Have Believed It?
- 2 Peter 3:10-18 Like A Thief In the Night
- 2 Peter 3:3-14 Why I Believe in the Second Coming
- 2 Peter 3 Multiple Illustrations, devotionals, etc
- 2 Peter 3:8 Money, Perspective, Time
- 2 Peter 3:10-13 An Elusive Virtue
- 2 Peter 3:16 Dangerous Distortions
- 2 Peter 3:18 God's Garden
- 2 Peter 3:18 Today in the Word
JOHN HENRY JOWETT Devotional Commentary
John Cereghin - A practical and devotional exposition. Reprinted from the 1904 edition.
- 2 Peter 3:3, 4, 8, 9 The Leisureliness of God
- 2 Peter 3:10-14 Preparing for the Judgment
- 2 Peter 3:18 Growing in Grace
- 2 Peter 3:1-4 The End of the Universe, Part 1
- 2 Peter 3:1-4 The End of the Universe, Part 2
- 2 Peter 3:14-18 The End of the Universe, Part 3
- 2 Peter 3:1-4 The Certainty of the Second Coming Pt 1
- 2 Peter 3:1-9 The Certainty of the Second Coming Pt 2
- 2 Peter 3:10 The Certainty of the Second Coming Pt 3
- 2 Peter 3:11-13 Living in Anticipation of Christ's Return Pt 1
- 2 Peter 3:14-18 Living in Anticipation of Christ's Return Pt 2
- 2 Peter 3 A Thousand Years in God’s Perspective
- 2 Peter 3 Does God Always Get What He Wants?
JOSEPH B MAYOR
Rosscup: Mayor, J. B. The Epistles of Jude and Second Peter: The Greek Text with Introduction, Notes and Comments. Grand Rapids: Baker, 1979. - This is quite a good older work on the Greek exegesis by the man who did an outstanding commentary on James. Mayor is more for serious students who know the Greek and are ready to read more technical detail on verses without being overcome.
D Edmond Hiebert - This massive volume contains an unsurpassed accumulation of details concerning these two epistles, setting forth parallels to the language from all Greek literature. The work of a painstaking liberal scholar, the volume is a mine of information for the diligent, discerning student.
John Cereghin - A liberal interpretation. He thinks that II Peter was a forgery written in the second century (173ff); admits the writer called Christ God (177); holds that cleansing comes through baptism (182). (Source) The upshot is BE A BEREAN with this commentary!
HENRY MORRIS - Defender's Study Bible - Excellent, conservative, literal study Bible notes from a leading creationist
Note that the word or phrase (based on the KJV translation) links to the corresponding note on that word or phrase
- 2 Peter 3:1 second epistle pure mindsremembrance
- 2 Peter 3:2 words which were spokencommandment of us
- 2 Peter 3:3 first last days their own lusts
- 2 Peter 3:4 the promise of his comingbeginning of the creation
- 2 Peter 3:5 willingly are ignorant heavens were of old in the water
- 2 Peter 3:6 overflowed perished
- 2 Peter 3:7 which are now
- 2 Peter 3:8 thousand years
- 2 Peter 3:9 slack concerning his promise
- 2 Peter 3:10 day of the Lord heavens shall pass away
- 2 Peter 3:12 hasting unto the coming heavens being on fire elements
- 2 Peter 3:13 his promise dwelleth righteousness
- 2 Peter 3:14 found of him
- 2 Peter 3:15 hath written unto you
- 2 Peter 3:16 wrest other scriptures
- 2 Peter 3:17 wicked
- 2 Peter 3:18 grow in grace
NET BIBLE NOTES
OUR DAILY BREAD - devotionals
- 2 Peter 3:1-13 Are You Ready?
- 2 Peter 3:2-15 Mount St. Helens Syndrome
- 2 Peter 3:3-4 Beyond What We Can See
- 2 Peter 3:4 Fire Mountain
- 2 Peter 3:4 Fun Loving Audience
- 2 Peter 3:7 Rainbows
- 2 Peter 3:8 The Time Machine
- 2 Peter 3:9 In Praise Of Slowness
- 2 Peter 3:9 Sowing Seed With Tears
- 2 Peter 3:10 A Storm is Coming!
- 2 Peter 3:10 Bad News?
- 2 Peter 3:10 - Krakatoa
- 2 Peter 3:10-12 Colonel Davenport
- 2 Peter 3:10 Is This a Cause for Fear?
- 2 Peter 3:11 Leaning Towers
- 2 Peter 3:11 Prediction of the Future
- 2 Peter 3:11 Day Unknown
- 2 Peter 3:12 Twenty-Seven Percent
- 2 Peter 3:13 Heaven, Not Mars
- 2 Peter 3:14 The Ermine (read this one!)
- 2 Peter 3:14 Are You Ready?
- 2 Peter 3:15 Mount St. Helens Syndrome
- 2 Peter 3:16 Dangerous Distortions
- 2 Peter 3:17 Beware!
- 2 Peter 3:18 Get To Know Jesus
- 2 Peter 3:18 Gradual Growth
- 2 Peter 3:18 Let's Get Growing
- 2 Peter 3:18 The Highest Goal
- 2 Peter 3:18 ''Measure Me''
- 2 Peter 3:18 How A Tree Grows
- 2 Peter 3:18 How Tall Are You?
- 2 Peter 3:18 - Keep Reaching For The Top
- 2 Peter 3:18 Rules for Good Health
PASTOR LIFE SERMONS FROM SEVERAL PASTORS
- 2 Peter 3 :1-13 What Are You Thinking About? -David Cook
- 2 Peter 3 :14-18 Give Your Heart To Jesus - David Cook
- 2 Peter 3 :14-18 Found In Him - Dennis M. Davidson
- 2 Peter 3 :1-7 Remember The Basics - Dennis M. Davidson
- 2 Peter 3 :18 Growing in the Lord - Alan Stewart
- 2 Peter 3 :8-9 God's Merciful Will - Dennis M. Davidson
- 2 Peter 3:1-10 Where Is the Promise of His Appearing?
- 2 Peter 3:10-14 What Sort of Persons Ought You To Be?
- 2 Peter 3:15-18 Grow in Grace and in the Knowledge of Our Lord
- 2 Peter 3 Critical and Exegetical Notes - scroll down for following entries
- 2 Peter 3:1-7 Homiletics
- 2 Peter 3:1-7 Suggestive Notes and Sermon Sketches
- 2 Peter 3:8-13 Homiletics
- 2 Peter 3:8-13 Suggestive Notes and Sermon Sketches
- 2 Peter 3:14-18 Homiletics
- 2 Peter 3:14-18 Suggestive Notes and Sermon Sketches
REFORMATION STUDY BIBLE
- 2 Peter 3:1
- 2 Peter 3:1b
- 2 Peter 3:1c
- 2 Peter 3:1d
- 2 Peter 3:2
- 2 Peter 3:2b
- 2 Peter 3:3
- 2 Peter 3:4
- 2 Peter 3:5
- 2 Peter 3:5b
- 2 Peter 3:6
- 2 Peter 3:7
- 2 Peter 3:8
- 2 Peter 3:8b
- 2 Peter 3:8c
- 2 Peter 3:9
- 2 Peter 3:9b
- 2 Peter 3:9c
- 2 Peter 3:10
- 2 Peter 3:10b
- 2 Peter 3:10c
- 2 Peter 3:11
- 2 Peter 3:12
- 2 Peter 3:13
- 2 Peter 3:14
- 2 Peter 3:14b
- 2 Peter 3:14c
- 2 Peter 3:14d
- 2 Peter 3:15
- 2 Peter 3:15b
- 2 Peter 3:15c
- 2 Peter 3:16
- 2 Peter 3:16b
- 2 Peter 3:16c
- 2 Peter 3:17
- 2 Peter 3:17b
- 2 Peter 3:17c
- 2 Peter 3:17d
- 2 Peter 3:18
- 2 Peter 3:18b
- 2 Peter 3:18c
- 2 Peter 3:18d
- 2 Peter 3:18e
- 2 Peter 3:1-7 How Should We Answer Mockers?
- 2 Peter 3:8-13 How Can We Deal w Our Own Doubts?
- 2 Peter 3:14-18 What Should We Do Until Christ's Return?
DON ROBINSON Sermon Notes
- 2 Peter 3:1 By Way of Remembrance
- 2 Peter 3:7-10 Day the Earth Melts
- 2 Peter 3:14-15 Closing the Books on 1998
- 2 Peter 3:18 Growing In Jesus Christ
- 2 Peter 3:18 Keys to Spiritual Growth
- 2 Peter 3:1-7: A Reminder and Warning to Believers
- 2 Peter 3:8-10: The Lord Desires Repentance for All
- 2 Peter 3:11-14: Anticipating the Soon Coming of the Lord
- 2 Peter 3:15-16: Be Diligent in Faith and Truth
ROB SALVATO Sermon Notes
- 2 Peter 3:1-9 Are We In The Last Days?
- 2 Peter 3:10-13 Quickening The Day
- 2 Peter 3:14 Be Found By Him In Peace
- 2 Peter 3:14-18 Grow
SERMONS BY VERSE - older expositions
- 2 Peter 3:7 The Day of Judgment
- 2 Peter 3:8,9 God's Forbearance
- 2 Peter 3:10-14 The Day of Judgment (2)
- 2 Peter 3:17, 18 Grow in Grace
- 2 Peter 3 Commentary
- 2 Peter 3:3-14 Atomic Reaction
- 2 Peter 3:4 The Lord is Not Slack
- 2 Peter 3:4-15 If So What Then?
- 2 Peter 3-10 How Should We then Live?
- Study Guide for 2Peter
- 2 Peter 1-3 Through the Bible Series
JAMES SMITH - well done detailed outlines
- 2 Peter - Handfuls of Purpose - scroll down
- THE LEISURELINESS OF GOD. 2 Peter 3:1-9
- HURRYING UP THE GLORIOUS TIME. 2 Peter 3:10-14
- GROWTH. 2 Peter 3:15-18
NATHANIEL M WILLIAMS
John Cereghin - Williams, Nathaniel Marshman, Commentary on the Epistles of Peter, An American Commentary, 1888. Quite full but concisely written; a rewarding exposition by a conservative Baptist scholar.
This commentary goes verse by verse, phrase by phrase. Very nice.
OCTAVIUS WINSLOW - devotional
- 2 Peter 3:14 Devotional - see June 26 entry