Click chart to enlarge
Chart from Jensen's Survey of the NT - used by permission
THE EXPANDING WITNESS OF THE SPIRIT-EMPOWERED CHURCH
Considering the fact that Acts 13 is such a strategic chapter in regard to world evangelism, take a moment and study Irving Jensen's chart at top of the page (click it to enlarge it which is what I have to do at age 72!). Notice the bold vertical line (|) at the end of Acts 12 and beginning of Acts 13 which Jensen estimates to be about year 47 (it could be a short time prior). Note the horizontal description of "Church" - Church Established in the first 13 years from Acts 1 through Acts 7, then the Church Scattered between Acts 8 through Acts 12, which occurred over a period of about 14 years (and remember all dates and times are at best approximations because Luke gives only a few events that allow us to give specific dates, such as the death of Herod in A D 44 in Acts 12:23) and lastly, beginning in Acts 13 (and until the end of this age), the Church Extended, this extension being the primarily the fruit of Paul's Three Missionary Journeys which"upset the world!" (Acts 17:6) Now, you have a good grasp of the chronological context of Acts 13. And as they say in the restaurant when your delicious meal is served "Enjoy!" The three missionary journeys are summarized below (this note will be repeated in subsequent chapters). Click links for the maps of each journey.
|Paul's First Missionary Journey||Acts 13:4-14:28|
|Paul's Second Missionary Journey||Acts 15:36-18:22|
|Paul's Third Missionary Journey||Acts 18:23-21:26|
- Maps in table above are from the Holman Bible Atlas (digital book; Hardcover/Paperback version) copyrighted © 1998 B&H Publishing Group, used by permission, all rights reserved. This is one of the best resources for Bible maps as the maps also include helpful short descriptions of the events portrayed on the maps. Please do not download for use on another website. Thank you.
- Here is a map with all three journeys on one map.
Charles Swindoll points out that "When we study the journeys of Paul in the book of Acts, we’re not just reading the travel log of a man; we’re observing the redemptive plan of God unfolding as He promised. Through the ministry of Saul of Tarsus, God’s mission to reclaim His creation from the death grip of evil would move to its next stage. The plan of this mission was outlined in the Lord’s promise at His ascension, where He said,
“You will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses...
- In Jerusalem [Stage 1: Acts 2–7],
- and in all Judea and Samaria [Stage 2: Acts 8–12],
- and even to the remotest part of the earth [Stage 3: Acts 13–28].” (Acts 1:8+)
John Hannah's Outline for Second Missionary Journey
- The second missionary journey of Paul (Acts 15:36-18:22)
- The preparation for the ministry (Acts 15:36-16:5)
- The conflict between Barnabas and Paul (Acts 15:36-40)
- The confirmation of the churches (Acts 15:41-16:5)
- The ministry in Macedonia (Acts 16:6-17:15)
- The call from Macedonia (Acts 16:6-10)
- Arrival at Samothrace and Neapolis (Acts 16:11)
- Ministry at Philippi (Acts 16:12-40)
- The conversion of Lydia (Acts 16:12-15)
- The demon possessed slave girl (Acts 16:16-18)
- The imprisonment of Paul and Silas (Acts 16:19-25)
- The release of Paul and Silas (Acts 16:26-27)
- The conversion of the jailor (Acts 16:28-34)
- The departure from the city (Acts 16:35-40)
- The ministry in Thessalonica (Acts 17:1-9)
- The message (Acts 17:1-3)
- The response of belief (Acts 17:4)
- The response of unbelief (Acts 17:5-9)
- The ministry in Berea (Acts 17:10-15)
- The ministry (Acts 17:11-12)
- The departure (Acts 17:13-15)
- The ministry in Achaia (Acts 17:16-18:17)
- The ministry in Athens (Acts 17:16-34)
- His message in Athens (Acts 17:16-30)
- The response in Athens (Acts 17:31-34)
- The ministry in Corinth (Acts 18:1-17)
- Arrival in Corinth (Acts 18:1-4)
- His ministry to the Corinthians (Acts 18:5-11)
- The trial before Gallio (Acts 18:12-17)
- The ministry in Athens (Acts 17:16-34)
- The ministry on the return to Antioch (Acts 18:18-22)
- In Cenchrea (Acts 18:18)
- In Ephesus (Acts 18:19-21)
- In Antioch (Acts 18:22)
- The preparation for the ministry (Acts 15:36-16:5)
Hannah's Bible Outlines - Recommended Resource
- Stage 1: Tent Making (Acts 18:1-4)
- Paul’s coworkers (Acts 18:1-3)
- Paul’s work ethic (Acts 18:3-4)
- Stage 2: Full-Time Ministry (Acts 18:5-8)
- Support (Acts 18:5)
- Opposition (Acts 18:6)
- Fruitfulness (Acts 18:7-8)
- Stage 3: Weakness and Fear (Acts 18:9-10)
- The Lord’s Gentle Rebuke (Acts 18:9a)
- The Lord’s Strong Mandate (Acts 18:9b)
- The Lord’s Sovereign Promises (Acts 18:10)
- Stage 4: Long-Term Discipleship (Acts 18:11-17)
- Paul Returns to Antioch (Acts 18:18-22) (Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary – Exalting Jesus in Acts)
Cyril Barber - A beautifully produced work that brings within the reach of the busy pastor the benefits of this commentator's prodigious labors. A warmly devotional treatment.
James Rosscup: "This work, originally out in 1857, has proved helpful to many, though it is now far out of date as to literature commenting on Acts. For many basic details verse by verse, it still is of good value and often will help on word meaning and special problems. The fact that it was reprinted is indicative of its respected place in Acts studies." (Commentaries for Biblical Expositors)
Ajith Fernando - Loaded with exegetical and devotional gems, though dated.
D Edmond Hiebert - An exhaustive exposition of Acts by a conservative Presbyterian scholar of the past century. Gives a precise interpretation of the text on the basis of the original. Omission of technical matters makes it suitable to the English reader.
Spurgeon: "In all respects a work of the highest merit."
MIKE ANDRUS - sermon
- Acts Commentary - more modern study
JACK ARNOLD - well done sermons verse by verse
Cyril Barber - First published in 1883. These sermons reveal Arnot's thorough awareness of the original text and the milieu of the early church. His material is provocative as well as edifying. Both laypeople and pastors should read this book eagerly in order to better determine the course of the church, its commitments, and the criteria of its fellowship. Recommended.
- Acts 18:1-9 The World by Wisdom Knew Not God
- Acts 18:9-17 The Missionary and the Governor
- Acts 18:18-28 Paul and Apollos
- Paul the Missionary- Part 1
- Paul the Missionary- Part 2
- Paul the Missionary- Part 3
- Paul the Missionary- Part 4
- Paul the Missionary- Part 5
- Paul the Missionary- Part 6
- Paul the Missionary- Part 7
- Paul the Missionary- Part 8
- Paul the Missionary- Part 9
- Paul the Missionary- Part 10
- Paul the Missionary- Part 11
- Paul the Missionary- Part 12
- Acts 18:1-18 "Preaching Christ And Him Crucified In Corinth"
- Acts 18:19-19:10 "The Third Missionary Journey Begins"
Cyril Barber - This is a work that deserves a place in every pastor’s library.
CAMBRIDGE GREEK TESTAMENT
STEVEN COLE - recommended
W A CRISWELL
- Acts 18:1-11 GOD’S TENTMAKERS
- Acts 18:9 THE LIVING CHRIST
- Acts 18:5-10 GODLY ENCOURAGEMENT
- Acts 18:1-11 GOD’S TENTMAKERS
- Acts 18:24-28 THE BRILLIANT ALEXANDRIAN: APOLLOS
- Acts 18:24-28 A SHINING STAR FOR CHRIST
Cyril Barber - This companion volume to Steir's The Words of the Risen Saviour and Words of the Apostles deals with the messages of the apostle Paul in the book of Acts. C. H. Spurgeon said Eadie's work was "designed to give ordinary readers a juster and fuller conception of the doctrine and life-work of the apostle:' Recommended.
- XI. PAUL AT CORINTH - Acts 18:1–18. 1ST & 2ND EPISTLES TO THE CORINTHIANS
- XII. PAUL AT EPHESUS - Acts 19:1–41. 1 Cor 15:31, 32; 16:8, 9. 2 Cor 1:8, 9, 10.
EXPOSITOR'S GREEK TESTAMENT - R J Knowling
D Edmond Hiebert - Greek text. Still one of the most thorough commentaries on the Greek text. Significant for the Greek student.
Rosscup notes that Expositor's Greek Testament is "One of the older, much-used commentaries, which offers considerable help on Greek words, grammar, background etc. and will prove rather contributive, consulted along with newer and longer studies." (Commentaries for Biblical Expositors: An Annotated Bibliography of Selected Works).
- Discovering Christ in Acts - 352 pages
A C GAEBELEIN
GENE GETZ - short videos (~10) emphasizing principles in the text
- Acts 18:1-28; Video Serving Together: Spiritual leaders should encourage husband and wife teams to look for unique ministry opportunities.
GEORGE H GILBERT
GLOAG, PATON J - exegetical commentary - helps to know some Greek
Spurgeon "Dr. Hackett says aye Dr. Gloag's work: "I have examined it with special care. For my purposes I have found it unsurpassed by any similar work in the English language. It shows a thorough mastery of the material, philology, history, and literature pertaining to this range of study, and a skill in the use of this knowledge, which places it in the first class of modern expositions." (Commenting on Commentaries - excellent resource with links to all 66 books)
- A Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the Acts of the Apostles - Volume 1 - Acts 1-12
- A Critical and Exegetical Commen - Acts 13-28
GOTQUESTIONS - questions related to the book of Acts
- Acts 18:10 Who are the elect of God?
- Acts 18:10 How can I know if I am one of the elect?
- Acts 18:10 How are predestination and election connected with foreknowledge?
- Who was Apollos?
- The baptism of John
GRACE NOTES - Expositional Study by Warren Doud
L M GRANT
HORATIO B HACKETT
Cyril Barber - Insightful, reliable, and always worth consulting.
F B HOLE
H A IRONSIDE
IVP COMMENTARY - William Larkin - Excellent Commentary
Cyril Barber - Historically helpful. Contains some important insights. Critical matters are confined to the footnotes. Oriented toward the pastorate.
- Acts 18:1-22 Witness at Corinth and Return to Antioch
- Acts 18:23--21:16 The Third Missionary Journey
- Acts 18:23--19:22 At Ephesus Planting the Church
JAMIESON, FAUSSET, BROWN
S LEWIS JOHNSON
- Acts 18:1-23 The Gospel at Vanity Fair: Acts
- Acts 18:18-9:7 Belated Entrance Into the Covenant Age: Acts
- Acts 18:1-8 The Gospel in Vanity Fair, Part 1
- Acts 18:9-10 The Gospel in Vanity Fair, Part 2
- Acts 18:11-18 The Gospel in Vanity Fair, Part 3
- Acts 18:18-23 From Judaism to Jesus, Part 1
- Acts 18:24-28 From Judaism to Jesus, Part 2
P G MATTHEW - sermons
F B MEYER
MAPS - related to Acts
- Acts 2 - Pentecost and the Jewish Diaspora
- Acts 4-11 - Expansion of the Early Church in Palestine
- Acts 9, 11, 12 - Paul's Conversion and Early Ministry
- Acts 12:20-23 - Kingdom of Herod Agrippa I (Kingdom of Herod Agrippa II)
- Paul's Journeys (summarized)
- Acts 13:4-14:28 - Paul's First Missionary Journey
- Acts 15:36-18:32 - Paul's Second Missionary Journey
- Acts 18:23-21:26 - Paul's Third Missionary Journey
- Acts 21:15-26:32 - Paul's Arrest and Imprisonment
- Acts 27:1-28:31 - Paul's Voyage to Rome
J VERNON MCGEE
G CAMPBELL MORGAN
HENRY MORRIS - Excellent, conservative, literal study Bible notes from a leading Creationist.
- Acts 18:1 - Corinth
- Acts 18:2 - Priscilla
- Acts 18:3 - occupation
- Acts 18:10 - occupation
- Acts 18:12 - Gallio
- Acts 18:17 - Sosthenes
- Acts 18:18 - shorn his head
- Acts 18:25 - This man was instructed
NET BIBLE NOTES
OUR DAILY BREAD - Devotional
- Acts 18 Devotionals
- Acts 18:1-4 Opening Our Homes
- Acts 18:1-3, 18-28 An Unusual Couple?
- Acts 18:1-11 Many People
- Acts 18:9-11 In All Kinds Of Weather
- Acts 18:18-28 Helpful Honks
- Acts 18:24-28 Eloquent, Yet Humble
T E PAGE
|Facing Fear||Acts 18:9-10||Fear, Overcoming; Faith; Trust; Peace||Mark Adams|
|Acts for a New Year - Peace in Fearful Times||Acts 18:9-10||New Year; Fear; Peace||Mark Adams|
F N PELOUBET
E A PLUMPTRE
Cyril Barber - one of the great commentaries on the book of Acts.
D Edmond Hiebert - A thorough (513-page), informative exposition by a conservative Anglican scholar. Full treatment of introductory problems. Has a full index. One of the standard older commentaries on Acts.
Gerald Cowen - Older works which one should obtain if the opportunity arises include R. B. Rackham, The Acts of the Apostles (Baker, 1978; reprint of the 1901 edition). This is considered by many to be a classic on Acts, and was called by W. Smith the greatest of all the commentaries on Acts (in Profitable Bible Study). This work includes an extensive introduction, including articles on the theology of Acts, and a verse by verse commentary. (Commenting on Commentaries on Acts)
REFORMATION STUDY BIBLE
- Acts 18:1
- Acts 18:2
- Acts 18:6
- Acts 18:7
- Acts 18:8
- Acts 18:10
- Acts 18:12
- Acts 18:13
- Acts 18:18
- Acts 18:23
A T ROBERTSON
- Acts 18:1-11 I Have Many People in this City
- Acts 18:12-23 Rest and Refreshment
- Acts 18:24-19:7 Have you received the Spirit?
- Acts 18 Sermons
- Acts 18:17 The Character of Gallio
- Acts 18:24-28 Character and Ministry of Apollos
- Acts 18 Commentary
- Sermon Notes for Acts 18:1
- Sermon Notes for Acts 18:7
- Sermon Notes for Acts 18:9
- Sermon Notes for Acts 18:11
- Sermon Notes for Acts 18:18
- Sermon Notes for Acts 18:24
- Sermon Notes for Acts 18:24-19:7
JAMES SMITH - Handfuls on Purpose - expanded sermon outlines
- Click this page for all the topics below
- PAUL AT CORINTH. Acts 18:1-17
R C SPROUL - Devotionals
C H SPURGEON
- Acts 18:9, 10 Cheer for the Worker, and Hope for London
- Acts 18:10 A Present Helper
- Acts 18:27 The Shank-bone Sermon; or The True Believers and Their Helpers
- Acts 18:10 - Devotional
A continuation of the author's exposition of Acts in which he demonstrates from the history of the early church the fallacy of relying solely on man-made programs without making room for the "body life" of believers.- A continuation of the author's exposition of Acts in which he demonstrates from the history of the early church the fallacy of relying solely on man-made programs without making room for the "body life" of believers.
THIRD MILLENNIUM STUDY NOTES
- Kingdom Mission: Paul in Corinth - Acts 18:1-22
- Paul: Third Kingdom Missionary Journey - Acts 18:23-21:14
- Kingdom Mission: Paul in Galatia and Phrygia - Acts 18:23-28
DEREK THOMAS - et al
- Acts 18:1-7 To the End of the Earth (42): Do Not Be Afraid by Derek Thomas
- Acts 18:18-28 To the End of the Earth (43): Priscilla, Aquila, and Apollos by Derek Thomas
DAVID THOMPSON Book of Acts Expositions
TODAY IN WORD
- Acts 18:1-16 Generations
- Acts 18:1-18 Don't Be Afraid, Keep On Speaking
- Acts 18:9-11, 18-22 Closing the Circle
- Acts 18:18-22 Home
- Acts 18:25-19:22 Start Spreading the News