ENDURANCE AND SEPARATION IN THE MINISTRY
Click chart to enlarge
Charts from Jensen's Survey of the NT - used by permission
Another Overview Chart - 2 Timothy - Charles Swindoll
|2 Timothy 1:1-18||2 Timothy 2:1-26||2 Timothy 3:1-17||2 Timothy 4:1-22|
Divide the Word
|Dangerous Times for
|Unashamed as a
|Unashamed as a
|Adequate as a
|Awarded as a
|Perseverance of the Gospel Message||Protection of
to Fulfill Ministry
Compiled from Jensen's Survey of the NT and Wilkinson's Talk Thru the Bible
James Rosscup writes that "This was the great work in the life of the versatile Dean of Canterbury. An outcome of this production was the New Testament for English Readers (4 vols.). Alford was a Calvinist, conservative and premillennial, though not dispensational. He takes a literal interpretation of the thousand years in Rev. 20 and has a famous quote there, is strong on sovereign election as in Ro 8:29, 30 and 1Pe 1:2, but, unfortunately, holds to baptismal regeneration in such texts as Titus 3:5 and John 3:5. He shows a great knowledge of the Greek text and faces problems of both a doctrinal and textual nature." (Commentaries for Biblical Expositors: An Annotated Bibliography of Selected Works)
John Piper writes ""When I’m stumped with a...grammatical or syntactical or logical [question] in Paul, I go to Henry Alford. Henry Alford...comes closer more consistently than any other human commentator to asking my kinds of questions."
Charles Haddon Spurgeon writes that this text "is an invaluable aid to the critical study of the text of the New Testament. You will find in it the ripened results of a matured scholarship, the harvesting of a judgment, generally highly impartial, always worthy of respect, which has gleaned from the most important fields of Biblical research, both modern and ancient, at home and abroad. You will not look here for any spirituality of thought or tenderness of feeling; you will find the learned Dean does not forget to do full justice to his own views, and is quite able to express himself vigorously against his opponents; but for what it professes to be, it is an exceedingly able and successful work. The later issues are by far the most desirable, as the author has considerably revised the work in the fourth edition. What I have said of his Greek Testament applies equally to Alford’s New Testament for English Readers,* which is also a standard work." (Spurgeon, C. H. Lectures to my Students, Vol. 4: Commenting and Commentaries; Lectures Addressed to the students of the Pastors' College, Metropolitan Tabernacle)
DON ANDERSON The Twelve Steps to a Fantastic Finish
2 Timothy study guides:
2 Timothy Teacher Notes - related to preceding lectures
- 2 Timothy study 10 - 2 Timothy 4:1-8
- 2 Timothy study 11 - 2 Timothy 4:9-15
- 2 Timothy study 12 - 2 Timothy 4:16-22
2 Timothy Study Notes - 1800 pages on detailed notes!
- 2 Timothy study 10 - 2 Timothy 4:1-8 - 167 pages of miscellaneous notes
- 2 Timothy study 11 - 2 Timothy 4:9-15 - 137 pages of miscellaneous notes
- 2 Timothy study 12 - 2 Timothy 4:16-22 - 147 pages of miscellaneous notes
See Caveats regarding Barclay's theology which was not always orthodox. This resource is listed because he gives some excellent background and helpful word studies.
James Rosscup: This is a lucid and well-organized exposition of the epistles with many helpful lists on different facets of truth John can have in mind at different points as on “light” and “darkness” in I John 1:5. There is stimulating background material and warm application. (Commentaries for Biblical Expositors: An annotated bibliography of selected works).
D Edmond Hiebert - Prints the author's own translation. A series of popular studies whose strong point is word study. Contains good illustrative material. Part of the author's interpretation follows a liberal position. Barclay holds that Christ's descent into Hades gave those who there heard Him a second chance.
CHRIS BENFIELD Sermon
Rosscup - Earlier this was published in The Cambridge Greek Testament (Cambridge: University, 1922). It is one of the finest older works which grapples seriously with the Greek. Bernard was a fine scholar in his day.
BIBLE.ORG RESOURCES Resources that Reference 2 Timothy
BRIDGEWAY BIBLE COMMENTARY
ERNEST FAULNER BROWN
D Edmond Hiebert - A concise, conservative, phrase-by-phrase interpretation by a missionary in India who understands the positions of Timothy and Titus in the light of his own missionary experience.
CENTURY BIBLE COMMENTARY
- 2 Timothy 4:2 Instant in season
- 2 Timothy 4:2 Have A Message And Be One
- 2 Timothy 4:6 Are You Ready to be Offered
- Reflections on 2 Timothy - 81 page commentary in Pdf
- 2 Timothy 4:1-2: Ministry of the Word - 100 page treatise - Discussion of 2 Timothy 4:1ff begins on page 46. Below are topics covered at length
- 1. THE DIVINE MANDATE - page 46
2. PREACH THE WORD - page 47
3. ON TEACHING METHOD - page 51
4. LEARNING BY DOING - page 55
5. THE USE OF STORIES - page 59
6. A COMPREHENSIVE MINISTRY - page 64
7. NOTES AND DELIVERY - page 67
8. CHRISTIAN LITERATURE - page 70
9. REFUTE! REBUKE! REMIND! - page 73
10. GOD GIVES THE INCREASE - page 76
GEORGE CLARKE "Designed for Pastors and Sunday Schools"
- 2 Timothy 4:1-5 My Major Task And Yours
- 2 Timothy 4:1-5 Preaching & Hearing God's Word
- 2 Timothy 4:6-8 Finishing Well
- 2 Timothy 4:9-22 Facing Life's Winter
- 2 Timothy 4:1-4 The New Religion; Peace of Mind
- 2 Timothy 4:1-5 Books and The Book
- 2 Timothy 4:2 The Place of Evangelism in Pulpit Ministry
- 2 Timothy 4:3 The Liberal and the Deity of Christ
- 2 Timothy 4:5 Do the Work of an Evangelist
- 2 Timothy 4:6-8 The Golden Tomorrow
- 2 Timothy 4:6-8 Paul Faces the Westering Sun
- 2 Timothy 4:6-18 Paul Before Caesar
- 2 Timothy 4:10 Loving The Wrong World
- 2 Timothy 4:13 Books and the Book
- 2 Timothy 4:21 Come Before Winter
JOHN DARBY SYNOPSIS
EDWARD DENNETT Expository Sermons
- 2 Timothy 4:1-7 Hitherto-Underneath-Henceforth
- 2 Timothy 4:1-4 Biblical Priorities for the Life of the Church
- 2 Timothy 4:1-4 Preach the Word
- 2 Timothy 4:1-5 Fulfill Your Ministry
- 2 Timothy 4:5-8 Finishing the Race
- 2 Timothy 4:6-22 How Faithfulness Looks at the End
JUSTIN EDWARD Family Bible New Testament
FIRST EVANGELICAL FREE: WICHITA, KANSAS - Series on 2 Timothy
- 2 Timothy 4:1-4:8 LEAVE IT ALL ON THE FIELD Josh Black
- 2 Timothy 4:2: Biblical Theology: The Queen of the Sciences Must Recover Her Crown
- 2 Timothy 4:9-4:22 GREAT IS THY FAITHFULNESS: Josh Black
PATRICK FAIRBAIRN The Pastoral Epistles
GENE GETZ Bible Principles Short Videos
- 2 Timothy 4:1-5; Fulfilling Our Ministry: Since we will all appear some day before God and Jesus Christ, we are to diligently fulfill our ministry. Video
- 2 Timothy 4:6-8; Being Faithful: With God's help, our goal should be to live our lives without regrets. Video
- 2 Timothy 4:9-18; A Loyal Friend: When even those we've loved and trusted fail to be true and loyal friends, we are to focus on the Lord Jesus Christ who will never forsake us. Video
GOSPEL COALITION Sermons Most are Mp3's
GOTQUESTIONS - 2 Timothy
- 2 Timothy 4:2 What does it mean to preach the Word?
- 2 Timothy 4:5 What does it mean to endure hardship?
- 2 Timothy 4:3 What does 2 Timothy 4:3 mean by itching ears?
- 2 Timothy 4:6 What is a drink offering?
- 2 Timothy 4:7 What did Paul mean when he said he had fought the good fight?
- 2 Timothy 4:7 What did Paul mean when he said he had finished the race?
- 2 Timothy 4:7 What did Paul mean when he said he had kept the faith?
- 2 Timothy 4:10 Who was Demas in the Bible?
- 2 Timothy 4:11 Who was John Mark in the Bible?
- 2 Timothy 4:12 Who was Tychicus in the Bible?
- 2 Timothy 4:14 Who was Alexander the coppersmith in the Bible?
GRACE BIBLE CHURCH
H. HARVEY, D.D. Well Done Verse by Verse Commentary.
- 2 Timothy 4 "Hearts Afire" - Table of Contents
- 2 Timothy 4:7a Man o' War
- 2 Timothy 4:10 Demas, Charmed by the World
- Holman Christian Standard Bible Study Bible - Well done conservative notes. Includes access to Holman NT Commentary on each Gospel (see Library in left gutter).
- 2 Timothy 4:1- 5: Our Charge
- 2 Timothy 4:1- 5: The Charge
- 2 Timothy 4:3: Mormonism
- 2 Timothy 4:3-4 Worshiping Weirdness
- 2 Timothy 4:5- 8: A Mother's Struggle
- 2 Timothy 4:6- 8:Will You Finish Well?
- 2 Timothy 4:9-21: How To Grow Through Loneliness
- 2 Timothy 4:9-22: When No One Stands By You - But God
- 2 Timothy 4:9-22: Come Before Winter
ICC NEW TESTAMENT COMMENTARY
ILLUSTRATIONS ON 2 TIMOTHY from 10,000 Illustrations Bible.org
Cyril Barber - Continuously in print for 50 years, having made its debut in 1947. Ironside always has something good to say. He is easy to read, evangelical, and provides deft applications of the truth to life. One limitation of this revision is the use of the KJV when some other modern translation (e.g., NKJV) would have better served the needs of modern readers. Otherwise, this exposition is lucid and ideal for lay Bible study.
James Rosscup - He is staunchly evangelical, showing good broad surveys based on diligent study, practical turns, even choice illustrations. In prophecy he is premillennial dispensational....Many preachers have found that Ironside works, read along with heavier books on details of exegesis, help them see the sweep of the message and prime their spirits for practical relevance.
John Cereghin - Ironside, Harry A., Expository Notes on the Epistles of James and Peter, 1947, 41 pages. Brief devotional exposition. He attacks hyper-Calvinism (68); denounces the error of “soul sleep” (73); suggests that angels may refer to Genesis 6 (82-83); teaches the Premillennial coming of Christ (98). A practical and devotional exposition. Reprinted from the 1904 edition.
Rosscup - This is a helpful old set of 1863 for laypeople and pastors to have because it usually comments at least to some degree on problems. Though terse, it provides something good on almost any passage, phrase by phrase and is to some degree critical in nature. It is evangelical. There is also a 1-volume edition, briefer at some points (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1961). Especially in its multi-volume form this is one of the old evangelical works that offers fairly solid though brief help on many verses. Spurgeon said, “It contains so great a variety of information that if a man had no other exposition he would find himself at no great loss if he possessed this and used it diligently” (Commenting and Commentaries, p. 3). Things have changed greatly since this assessment! It is primarily of help to pastors and lay people looking for quick, though usually somewhat knowledgeable treatments on verses.
Spurgeon - A really standard work. We consult it continually, and with growing interest. Mr. Fausset’s portion strikes us as being of the highest order.
My Comment - This is one of the best older (Pre-1800) works on interpretation of prophecy as it tends to interpret the text literally and not allegorically.
Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible - Unabridged
- 2 Timothy 4:1-5 Picture of A Preacher
- 2 Timothy 4:6-8 At the End of the Road
- 2 Timothy 4:9-12 Snapshots of Six Soldiers
- 2 Timothy 4:13-18 On Remand
- 2 Timothy 4:19-22 Just a Last Few Lines
STEVE KRELOFF - Messianic Jewish Pastor
- 2 Timothy Sermons - 37 messages - excellent Mp3's messages below
- Effective Proclamation - 2 Timothy 4:1-2
- A Faithful Minister's Focus - 2 Timothy 4:1-5
- Effective Proclamation - 2 Timothy 4:1-2
- The Urgency of the Hour (Part 1) - 2 Timothy 4:3-5
- The Urgency Of The Hour (Part 1) - 2 Timothy 4:3-5
- The Urgency of the Hour (Part 2) - 2 Timothy 4:6-8
- The Urgency Of The Hour (Part 2) - 2 Timothy 4:6-8
- Proclamation Under Adversity - 2 Timothy 4:9-22
D Edmond Hiebert - Oosterzee, J. J. Van, "The Pastoral Letters," J. P. Lange's Commentary on the Holy Scriptures. Translated from the German. (1863). The abundant material is in three sections: exegetical and critical; doctrinal and ethical; homiletical and practical. A full evangelical treatment by a Dutch Reformed minister and theologian of the past century.
James Rosscup - The treatments of books within this evangelical set vary in importance. Generally, one finds a wealth of detailed commentary, background, and some critical and exegetical notes. Often, however, there is much excess verbiage that does not help particularly. On the other hand, it usually has something to assist the expositor on problems and is a good general set for pastors and serious lay people though it is old.
LIGONIER MINISTRIES Devotionals
J P LILLEY - The Pastoral Epistles - Well done verse by verse comments, informative, not technical
D Edmond Hiebert - Uses author's own translation. A scholarly, conservative work giving a comprehensive discussion of the Pastorals as a group as well as the individual epistles. A verse-by-verse exposition characterized by spiritual warmth and practical appeal.
Cyril Barber - This "first century message to twentieth century pastors" is a work of rare merit, and we welcome its reappearance.
- 2 Timothy 4:1-8 The Priorities of a Faithful Teacher - Study Guide - see dropdown
- 2 Timothy 4:1-3 The Pastor's Priorities - Q & A's
- 2 Timothy 4:1-5 Ministry in an Age of Itching Ears
- 2 Timothy 4:1: Marks of the Faithful Preacher 1
- 2 Timothy 4:2: Marks of the Faithful Preacher 2
- 2 Timothy 4:3-4: Marks of the Faithful Preacher 3
- 2 Timothy 4:5 Marks of the Faithful Preacher 4
- 2 Timothy 4:6-8 The Epitaph of a Faithful Preacher
- 2 Timothy 4:6: The Triumphant Epitaph of Paul 1
- 2 Timothy 4:7: The Triumphant Epitaph of Paul 2
- 2 Timothy 4:8: The Triumphant Epitaph of Paul 3
- 2 Timothy 49-22 Friends and Foes
P G MATTHEW 2 TIMOTHY SERMONS
- 2 Timothy 3:16-4:5 Preach the Word
- 2 Timothy 4:1-5 Preach the Word
- 2 Timothy 4:6-8 The End and the Beginning
- 2 Timothy 4:9-15 Sweet Fellowship
- 2 Timothy 4:16-18 The Presence and the Power of the Lord
- 2 Timothy 4:19-22 Saint Paul’s Last Words of Grace
J VERNON MCGEE - Mp3's
F B MEYER
J R MILLER
HENRY MORRIS Defender's Study Bible Note
- 2 Timothy 4:1 charge thee
- 2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word be instant
- 2 Timothy 4:4 turn away their ears from the truth unto fables
- 2 Timothy 4:7 finished my course
- 2 Timothy 4:8 crown of righteousness righteous judge love his appearing
- 2 Timothy 4:10 forsaken me
- 2 Timothy 4:11 Only Luke, Take Mark
- 2 Timothy 4:13 The cloke the books
H C G MOULE Devotional Commentary
D Edmond Hiebert comments that this work is "Marked by careful scholarship, spiritual insight, and reverent faith. One of the outstanding volumes of the series. Appended is a long poem by the author on the martyrdom of Paul.
Cyril Barber - A delightful devotional commentary. First published in 1905
PHIL NEWTON Sermons
- 2 Timothy 4:1-5 A Commitment to Biblical Exposition
- 2 Timothy 4:6-8 Finishing Well
- 2 Timothy 4:9-15 Supporting the Brethren
- 2 Timothy 4:16-22 Not Alone!
OUR DAILY BREAD - devotionals
- 2 Timothy 4:1-5 Itchy Ears
- 2 Timothy 4:1-5 Make It Known
- 2 Timothy 4:1-8 Candlelight Wisdom
- 2 Timothy 4:1-8 Faithfulness
- 2 Timothy 4:1-8 Mom’s Finish Line
- 2 Timothy 4:1-13: Book Friends
- 2 Timothy 4:1-8 Joyful Reunion
- 2 Timothy 4:2 Are You A Preacher?
- 2 Timothy 4:3 The Time Will Come
- 2 Timothy 4:4 The Gospel Of Judas
- 2 Timothy 4:4 Yeah, But . . .
- 2 Timothy 4:5 Not Satisfied
- 2 Timothy 4:6 Bon Voyage
- 2 Timothy 4:6: A Last Farewell
- 2 Timothy 4:6 The Lonely Season
- 2 Timothy 4:6: Finishing the Race
- 2 Timothy 4:6 What Will Happen?
- 2 Timothy 4:6: What Will Happen?
- 2 Timothy 4:6: Ready to Go Home
- 2 Timothy 4:6 Magnifying Our Master
- 2 Timothy 4:6-8 White Space
- 2 Timothy 4:6-8 What Are You Living For?
- 2 Timothy 4:6-18 Dying With Certainty
- 2 Timothy 4:7 A Letter from the Battlefield
- 2 Timothy 4:7: Finishing Well (booklet)
- 2 Timothy 4:7. Finishing Well
- 2 Timothy 4:7 Finish Well
- 2 Timothy 4:7: Your Biography
- 2 Timothy 4:7: Finishers
- 2 Timothy 4:7: Win Or Lose
- 2 Timothy 4:7: A Worthy Effort
- 2 Timothy 4:7-8: Living For Eternity
- 2 Timothy 4:7-8 ,Purpose in Routine
- 2 Timothy 4:7-8: Christ Living In Us
- 2 Timothy 4:8: The Umpire
- 2 Timothy 4:8. The Promised Prize
- 2 Timothy 4:8: What Matters Most
- 2 Timothy 4:8b Two Views of Life
- 2 Timothy 4:9-18 Ant World
- 2 Timothy 4:9-18 Be A Stander
- 2 Timothy 4:9-22 Friends
- 2 Timothy 4:11 Learning From The Past
- 2 Timothy 4:11 Failure
- 2 Timothy 4:13-18 Reading and Remembering
- 2 Timothy 4:14-18 Right And Wrongs
- 2 Timothy 4:16 Famous Last Words
- 2 Timothy 4:16-17: The Lord & You
- 2 Timothy 4:16-17 The Lord and You
- 2 Timothy 4:16-18 Realistic Expectations
PASTORLIFE Sermons by Various Pastors
- 2 Timothy Focusing on the Word - David E Owen
- 2 Timothy 4:1-2 Preach The Word! - Alan Stewart
- 2 Timothy 4:1-8 An Ordination Charge to God's Man - J Mike Minnix
- 2 Timothy 4:7 Parting Words of Paul - Donnie Martin
- 2 Timothy 4:7 A Life Well-Lived - Alan Stewart
- 2 Timothy 4:9-18 The Giant of Loneliness - Denis Lyle
- 2 Timothy 4:9-22 What Kind of Servant are You? - Donnie Martin
- 2 Timothy 3:14-4:4 All Scripture Is Breathed Out by God and Profitable
- 2 Timothy 3:16-4:5: The Place of Preaching in Worship
- 2 Timothy 3:16-4:4 Advice to Pastors: Preach the Word
- 2 Timothy 3:16-4:5 The Supremacy and Sweetness of God
- 2 Timothy 3:16-4:5 Preaching God in a Man-Centered Age
- 2 Timothy 3:16-4:5 Preaching: With Confidence That it Belongs in Worship
- 2 Timothy 4:5-22 Lord Stood by me that All Nations Might Hear
- 2 Timothy 4:6-8: I Have Kept the Faith
- 2 Timothy 4:17-18: The Lord Stood by Me
PREACHER'S HOMILETICAL COMMENTARY
REFORMATION STUDY BIBLE Study Notes
RICK RENNER - devotional & Greek word studies
- 2 Timothy 4:1-5 Full Proof Ministry
- 2 Timothy 4:1-10 Easy Thing Not Always Right Thing:
- 2 Timothy 4:2 The Message We Preach
- 2 Timothy 4:2 The Message We Preach
- 2 Timothy 4:9-22 Problems: Loneliness
- 2 Timothy 4:10 Demas
- 2 Timothy 4:10 Quitting
J. C. RYLE
- 2 Timothy 4:1-4 Preach The Word In Season And Out Of Season
- 2 Timothy 4:5-8 Finishing Well
- 2 Timothy 4:9-22 Final Words
RAYMOND SAXE Sermons on 2 Timothy
SERMON AUDIO 2 TIMOTHY Audios and Pdfs
Caveat emptor - quality may vary
- 2 Timothy 4:1, 2. Charge to Ministers and People
- 2 Timothy 4:7, 8. A Christian’s dying Reflections
- 2 Timothy 4:10 Apostasy of Demas
- 2 Timothy: How Not To Collapse
- 2 Timothy 4:1-4: The Majesty of Ministry
- 2 Timothy 4:5-8: The Passing of the Torch
- 2 Timothy 4:9-22: The End of the Road
- In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus - 2 Timothy 4:1
- The Word - 2 Timothy 4:2
- Itching ears - 2 Timothy 4:3-5
- Recollections, Reflections, and Exhortations - 2 Timothy 4:6-18
- Fighting, Finishing, and a Crown - 2 Timothy 4:6-8
- I have finished the race, I have kept the faith - 2 Timothy 4:6-7
- Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness - 2 Timothy 4:8
- Exhortation and Encouragement of Timothy - 2 Timothy 4:9-18
- Do your best to come to me - 2 Timothy 4:9
- Demas . . . Crescens . . . Titus - 2 Timothy 4:10
- Luke . . . Mark . . . Tychicus - 2 Timothy 4:11-12
- My scrolls, especially the parchments - 2 Timothy 4:13
- Alexander the metalworker did me a great deal of harm - 2 Timothy 4:14-15
- The Lord stood at my side and gave me strength - 2 Timothy 4:16-18
- Final Blessing - 2 Timothy 4:19-22
- Priscilla, Aquila, Onesiphorus, Erastus, and Trophimus - 2 Timothy 4:19-20
- The Lord be with your spirit - 2 Timothy 4:21-22
- 4:1 The Presence Of The Lord
- 4:2-4 The Climatic Goal Of Our Gatherings
- 4:5 Four Marks Of A Spirit Filled Life
- 4:6-8 The Christian’s Great Assurance And Hope
- 4:9-15, 19-22 Paul, The Human Being
- 4:16-18 The Lord God Stands At The Christian’s Side And Rescues Him.
DAVID THOMPSON SERMONS - each Pdf about 5 pages