Click chart to enlarge
Charts from Jensen's Survey of the NT - used by permission
Click to Enlarge
FRANK ALLEN THE ACTS OF THE APOSTLES (1931)
- Introduction to the Book of Acts
- Acts 1:1-8 The disciples prepared for and called to witness
- Acts 1:9-26 The ascension: waiting for the SPIRIT and reorganization.
- Acts 1:8, 14; 2:1 Preparation of witnesses.
JOSEPH A ALEXANDER Acts Commentary (1857, 1866) (Over 1000 pages!)
James Rosscup: "This work, originally out in 1857, has proved helpful to many, though it is now far out of date as to literature commenting on Acts. For many basic details verse by verse, it still is of good value and often will help on word meaning and special problems. The fact that it was reprinted is indicative of its respected place in Acts studies." (Commentaries for Biblical Expositors)
Cyril Barber - A beautifully produced work that brings within the reach of the busy pastor the benefits of this commentator's prodigious labors. A warmly devotional treatment. (The Minister's Library Volume 2)
Ajith Fernando - Loaded with exegetical and devotional gems, though dated.
D Edmond Hiebert - An exhaustive exposition of Acts by a conservative Presbyterian scholar of the past century. Gives a precise interpretation of the text on the basis of the original. Omission of technical matters makes it suitable to the English reader.
Spurgeon: "In all respects a work of the highest merit." (Commenting on Commentaries - nice resource as it has links to all 66 books)
JACK ARNOLD - Sermons
- Acts 1:1 The Gospel and the Acts
- Acts 1:2-7 Final Instructions
- Acts 1:8 Witnesses
- Acts 1:9-11 (Luke 24:50-52) The Ascension
- Acts 1:9-14 Waiting and Praying
- Luke 6:12-13 Common Men, Uncommon Calling
- Luke 6:14 Common Men, Uncommon Calling: Peter, Part 1
- Luke 6:14 Common Men, Uncommon Calling: Peter, Part 2
- Luke 6:14 Common Men, Uncommon Calling: Peter, Part 3
- Luke 6:14 Common Men, Uncommon Calling: Andrew and James
- Luke 6:14 Common Men, Uncommon Calling: John
- Luke 6:15 Common Men, Uncommon Calling: Matthew and Thomas
- Luke 6:16 Common Men, Uncommon Calling: Judas Iscariot, Part 1
- Luke 6:16 Common Men, Uncommon Calling: Judas Iscariot, Part 2
- Luke 6:15-16 Common Men, Uncommon Calling: James, Simon, and Judas
- Matthew 10:2 The Master's Men Andrew, James Son of Zebedee, John
- Matthew 10:3 The Master's Men, Philip and Bartholomew
- Matthew 10:3b The Master's Men, Matthew and Thomas
- Matthew 10:3-4 The Master's Men James Son of Alphaeus, Simon Zealot
- Matthew 10:4 The Master's Men, Part 5: Judas Iscariot
- Chart of the Apostles Names
- Where is Jesus now? Is Jesus in heaven?
- Holman Bible Dictionary - Ascension of Christ, Ascension
- Baker Evangelical Dictionary Ascension of Jesus Christ
- Charles Buck Dictionary Ascension of Christ
- Watson's Theological Dictionary Ascension of Christ
- Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible Ascension
- Hastings' Dictionary of the NT Ascension Ascension (2)
- International Standard Bible Encyclopedia Ascension
- Kitto Biblical Cyclopedia Ascension
WAYNE BARBER Acts - Life of Paul (through Acts 21)
- Paul - Introduction
- Paul the Missionary- Part 1
- Paul the Missionary- Part 2
- Paul the Missionary- Part 3
- Acts 1:1-3 Embryogenesis
- Acts 1:4-8 Christ’s Farewell Address
- Acts 1:9-26 Are We Better Off Without Jesus?
- Acts 1:1-3 The Message of the Church
- Acts 1:4-8 - The Mission of the Church
- Acts 2:44-47 - The Attitude of the Church
JIM BOMKAMP BIBLE STUDIES
CAMBRIDGE GREEK TESTAMENT FOR SCHOOLS AND COLLEGES J. R. Lumby
RICH CATHERS - Sermon Notes - frequent illustrations
- The texts below are from 3 separate studies, some more of survey study and some in depth
- Acts 1 Sermon Notes - Text Text Text Text Text Text
- Acts 1:1-8 Keeping The Main Thing The Main Thing
- Acts 1:3-11 What Are You Looking At?
- Acts 1:4-12 What Are You Looking For?
- Acts 1:9-12 The Coronation Of The King
MATT CHANDLER Sermons on Acts
Video, audio, study guide and transcripts available.
- Acts 1:1,2 The Church: Continuing What Jesus Began
- Acts 1:3-11 Doing Jesus’ Work
- Acts 1:12-26 Why Christianity is Credible
- Acts 1:1-9 THE THIRTEENTH ANNIVERSARY
- Acts 1:14 THE SOUL-WINNING CHURCH
- Acts 1:1-3 THE INFALLIBLE FORTY DAYS
- Acts 1:4-5 THE GREATEST OF THE PROMISES
- Acts 1:8 OUR FAR-FLUNG MISSION LINE
- Acts 1:3 THE INFALLIBLE FORTY DAYS
- Acts 1:11 MOUNT OLIVET: MOUNT OF CHRIST’S RETURN
- Acts 1:1-8 OUR FAR-FLUNG MISSION LINE
- Acts 1:6-9 OUR FAR-FLUNG MISSION LINE/OUR MISSION FRONTIER
- Acts 1:1 THE GREAT GODLY EXPECTATIONS OF OUR LORD
- Acts 1:1 GREAT GODLY EXPECTATIONS
- Acts 1:4 THE GREATEST OF THE PROMISES Comforter, Holy Spirit,
- Acts 1:6-8 STRATEGY AND WORLD CONQUEST
- Acts 1:9-11 THE HEAVENLY ASCENSION
- Acts 1:10-11 WHEN JESUS COMES AGAIN
- Acts 1:21 THE GOOD HAND OF GOD UPON US
- Acts 1:11 THIS SAME JESUS
- Acts 1:12-14 PRAYER AND PENTECOST Holy Spirit
- Acts 1:14 THE PRAYING, SOUL-WINNING CHURCH
- Acts 1:14 THE PRE-PENTECOSTAL CHURCH
- Acts 1:8 THE OUTPOURING OF PENTECOSTAL POWER
- Acts 1:8 MINISTERING IN MISSIONS
- Acts 1:1-5 THE INFALLIBLE FORTY DAYS
- Acts 1:11 THE MANNER OF OUR LORD’S RETURN
- Acts 1:3 THE INFALLIBLE FORTY DAYS
- Acts 1:1 MT. OLIVET: MOUNT OF CHRIST’S RETURN
DAN DUNCAN - SERMONS
For corresponding Mp3's click here.
CHARLES ELLICOTT (EDITOR) E H PLUMPTRE (AUTHOR) Bible Commentary for English Readers Book of Acts
EXPLORE THE BIBLE - studies
- Acts 1:1-2 The Origin and Authority of the Acts of the Apostles
- Acts 1:6-9 The Conversations of the Great Forty Days
- Acts 1:9 The Ascension of Christ and Its Lessons
- Acts 1:24-26 The Election of Matthias
D Edmond Hiebert - Greek text. Still one of the most thorough commentaries on the Greek text. Significant for the Greek student.
Rosscup notes that Expositor's Greek Testament is "One of the older, much-used commentaries, which offers considerable help on Greek words, grammar, background etc. and will prove rather contributive, consulted along with newer and longer studies." (Commentaries for Biblical Expositors: An Annotated Bibliography of Selected Works).
WILLIAM M FURNEAUX
GENE GETZ - short videos (~10) emphasizing principles in the text
- Acts 1:1-11; Video Waiting and Working: Though we should always be prepared for Christ's return, we are to focus on being His witnesses in this world.
- Acts 1:12-26 Video; Selecting Spiritual Leaders: Spiritual qualifications that reflect godly character are to be used when appointing spiritual leaders.
GLOAG, PATON J - exegetical commentary - helps to know some Greek
Spurgeon "Dr. Hackett says aye Dr. Gloag's work: "I have examined it with special care. For my purposes I have found it unsurpassed by any similar work in the English language. It shows a thorough mastery of the material, philology, history, and literature pertaining to this range of study, and a skill in the use of this knowledge, which places it in the first class of modern expositions." (Commenting on Commentaries - excellent resource with links to all 66 books)
GOTQUESTIONS - questions related to the book of Acts
- Book of Acts - Bible Survey
- Acts 1 Who was Theophilus at the beginning of Luke and Acts?
- Acts 1 Was Matthias or Paul God's choice to replace Judas as the 12th apostle?
GRACE NOTES - Expositional Study by Warren Doud
W H GRIFFITH-THOMAS
D Edmond Hiebert - A full verse-by-verse commentary by a conservative Baptist professor of the past century. Still valuable for a clear unfolding of the text of Acts.
C H Spurgeon writes that "Hackett occupies the first position among commentators upon the Acts." (Commenting on Commentaries - excellent resource with links to all 66 books)
HOLMAN PUBLISHING - study notes
DAVID HOLWICK SERMON NOTES
- Restoration of the Fortunes of Judah and Israel
- The Glorious Restoration Of Israel - John Walvoord
- What is replacement theology / supersessionism?
- Will all Israel be saved in the end times?
- What is the Palestinian Covenant?
- Did God give Israel the Promised Land for all time (Deuteronomy 4:40)?
- The Jewish Problem - David Baron
- Israel of God
INTERVARSITY PRESS Commentary on the Book of Acts William J Larkin, Jr.
Cyril Barber - Historically helpful. Contains some important insights. Critical matters are confined to the footnotes. Oriented toward the pastorate.
Preceptaustin - I found Larkin's notes very helpful with good insights.
- Acts 1:1--2:47 The Jerusalem Church: Its Beginning
- Acts 1:1-26 Preparation for Pentecost
- Acts 1:1-11 Post- resurrection Appearances & Ascension
- Acts 1:12-26 Waiting for Spirit: Election of Matthias
H A IRONSIDE Commentary on Acts
- Acts 1:1-5 Acts, part I
- Acts 1:6-12 The Plan, the Power and the Promise
- Acts 1:12-16 Biblical Apostolic Succession
- E Earle Ellis - The End of the Earth (Acts 1:8) - Bulletin for Biblical Research 1991, page 123-32.
- Thomas Moore -To the End of the Earth’: The Geographical and Ethnic Univarsalism of Acts 1:8 in Light of Isaianic Influence on Luke - JETS 40/3, 1997
- John F. Maile - “The Ascension in Luke-Acts.” Tyndale Bulletin 37 (1986):29-59
D Edmond Hiebert - Prints the authors own translation. An able devotional exposition by a noted Plymouth Brethren scholar of the past century. The viewpoint is premillennial; the volume reflects something of the author's ecclesiastical views. Contains much rich material on the meaning of Acts.
- Acts 1 Commentary - click arrow to for next chapter
PAUL KRETZMANN Popular Commentary of the Bible
Spurgeon - Adds nothing to our knowledge of the Acts; but the homiletical hints are useful (Commenting on Commentaries - excellent resource with links to all 66 books)
- Acts 1:1-5 Resources for Finishing Our Lord's Unfinished Work--1
- Acts 1:1-11 How to Finish Christ's Work
- Acts 1:6-11 Resources for Finishing Our Lord's Unfinished Work--2
- Acts 1:12-26 Resources for Finishing Our Lord's Unfinished Work--3
- Acts 1:1-2 The Theme of Acts
- Acts 1:1-14 The Ascension
- Acts 1:3 The Forty Days
- Acts 1:7 The Unknown Tomorrow
- Acts 1:21-22 The Apostolic Witnesses
- Is Mary the co-redemptrix / mediatrix?
- Is prayer to saints / Mary biblical?
- Is the perpetual virginity of Mary biblical?
- What is Mariolatry?
- What is the immaculate conception?
- What does the Bible say about the virgin Mary?
P G MATTHEW - sermons
JAMES MCCULLEN - frequent illustrations
HEINRICH A. W. MEYER
D Edmond Hiebert - Greek text. An exhaustive exegetical study of Acts by a well-known German scholar of the past century. Still contains much of value, although unaware of later developments in the understanding of the Koine Greek.
J R MILLER
- A Spirit Filled Church
- Acts Book Introduction - John MacArthur
- Analysis of Acts - James Van Dine
- Is the Book of Acts Historically Accurate? - Don Stewart
- The Acts of the Apostles - Trustworthiness - William Ramsay
- Personhood of the Spirit
- What is an apostle?
- Is God restoring the offices of apostle and prophet in the church today?
- What is the difference between a disciple and apostle?
- Why should I believe in Christ’s resurrection?
- Why does it matter that Jesus rose from the dead?
- Why is the truth of the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ so important?
- Who resurrected Jesus?
- Where does the saying ‘He is risen; He is risen, indeed’ come from?
- Why didn't the disciples always recognize Jesus after His resurrection?How can I avoid being a doubting Thomas?
- Can the various resurrection accounts from the four Gospels be harmonized?
- What is the significance of the "folded napkin" in Christ's tomb after the resurrection?
- Who Moved the Stone? Frank Morson
- John MacArthur "Kingdom Parables" in which he gives more explanation of the universal Kingdom and the mediatorial Kingdom.
- Alva McClain - The Universal and Mediatorial Kingdoms of God (article from his book "The Greatness of the Kingdom")
- Darrell Bock - The Kingdom of God in New Testament Theology
- John Walvoord - The NT Doctrine of the Kingdom of God-part 1, Part 2 (Also Kingdom of God in the OT)
- Kingdom of Heaven or God
- Chart of the Apostles Names
- The Women Who Followed Jesus
- Women Who Traveled With Jesus and His Disciples
- Acts of the Apostles - 423 page Pdf (includes all the following notes)
- Acts Commentary 1:1-5
- Acts Commentary 1:6-26
HENRY MORRIS - Defender's Study Bible - conservative, literal study Bible notes from a leading Creationist.
- Introduction to Acts
- Acts 1:1 - Theophilus Jesus began
- Acts 1:3 - infallible proofs forty days
- Acts 1:5 - baptized with the Holy Ghost
- Acts 1:6 - at this time
- Acts 1:7 - times or the seasons
- Acts 1:8 - power shall be witnesses Samaria
- Acts 1:10 - he went up two men
- Acts 1:11 - this same Jesus
- Acts 1:14 - one accord in prayer with his brethren
- Acts 1:15 - an hundred and twenty
- Acts 1:18 - purchased a field
- Acts 1:19 - Aceldama
- Acts 1:20 - book of Psalms bishopric (his office)
- Acts 1:22 - baptism of John witness with us
- Acts 1:25 - his own place
- Acts 1:26 - lots
ROBERT NEIGHBOUR Wells of Living Water Commentary
JAMES NISBET - Church Pulpit Commentary
- Acts 1 Devotionals
- Acts 1:1-8 Let the Whole World Hear!
- Acts 1:1-8 The Missionary Option
- Acts 1:1-8 Evie’s Decision
- Acts 1:1-8 He Wanted To
- Acts 1:1-8 To The End
- Acts 1:1-9 Home Missions
- Acts 1:1-9 Being A Witness
- Acts 1:1-10 He Lives!
- Acts 1:1-11 The Ascension - 2
- Acts 1:1-11 Why Did He Leave?
- Acts 1:1-11 Forty Amazing Days
- Acts 1:1-11 More Than Waiting
- Acts 1:1-11 Infallible Proofs
- Acts 1:1-11 Gentle Witness
- Acts 1:1-11 You Can Believe It
- Acts 1:1-11 The Ascension - 3
- Acts 1:1-11 Witnesses
- Acts 1:1-11 Ascended and Enthroned
- Acts 1:1-11 To Be Continued
- Acts 1:1-11 Gentle Witness
- Acts 1:1-14 Perhaps Today!
- Acts 1:7 Our Lord's Return
- Acts 1:8 Change The World!
- Acts 1:8 UNCHANGED ORDERS
- Acts 1:8 Have We Learned?
- Acts 1:8 Lesson Of The 18-Wheeler
- Acts 1:8 Fence-Breaking
- Acts 1:8 Christ's Agents
- Acts 1:8 The Power Of Pentecost
- Acts 1:8 Business Card
- Acts 1:9-14 . . . And His Brothers
- Acts 1:12-14 Going Away
JOSEPH PARKER Commentary on the Book of Acts The People's Bible
- Acts - Preface
- Acts - Outline in Seven Parts
- Acts 1:1-9 The Beginning of Apostolicity
- Acts 1:10-14 The Upward Look
- Acts 1:15-26 The Premature Election
- The Dispensation of the Spirit - A Series of Articles
PASTOR LIFE - sermons
|The Resurrection - Hoax or History?||Acts 1:1-11||Resurrection; Easter||Denis Lyle|
|Who Should Pray||Acts 1:12-15||Prayer; Prayer Meeting||Donald Cantrell|
|Something Happens When Churches Pray||Acts 1:14-26||Prayer; Prayer Meeting||Donald Cantrell|
|Missions - A New Perspective||Acts 1:6-8||Missions; Soul Winning; Evangelism||J. Robert White|
|Promised Power||Acts 1:8||Spirit, Power of; Holy Spirit; Missions||Ron Hale|
- Acts 1:1-3 What Jesus Did After the Beginning
- Acts 1:4-8 The Spirit Wants the World for Christ
- Acts 1:4-5 You Will Be Baptized with the Holy Spirit
- Acts 1:6-14 You Shall Receive Power Till Jesus Comes
- Acts 1:15-26 What Judas's Death Teaches Us about the Spirit
WIL POUNDS - sermon
- Colossians 1:9 Commentary
- Colossians 4:12 Commentary
- Devotional on Prayer
- Guide to Praying for Missionaries
- Pithy Prayer Phrases
- Prayer - Greek Words for Prayer
- Prayer Devotionals and Illustrations
- Prayer Hymns and Poems
- Prayer Quotes
- Prayer Quotes, Devotionals and Illustrations
- Praying His Word
- Praying in the Spirit
- Spurgeon's Gems on Prayer
- Acts 1:1 The Adventure Begins: How Jesus Works Through Ordinary People
- Acts 1:1-3 40 Amazing Days: The Original Founders Week
- Acts. 1:3 Many Infallible Proofs: How We Know Christ Lives Today
- Acts 1:4 In God’s Waiting Room: Lessons from the “Down Time” of Life
- Acts 1:4-5 The Baptism of the Holy Spirit: The Source of Our Power
- Acts 1:6-7 Is It Time Yet? Don't Forget the First Rule of the Spiritual Life
- Acts 1:8 From Oak Park to the Ends of the Earth: God's Plan for Calvary Memorial Church
- Acts 1:8 You Will Be My Witnesses: God's Job Description for Every Christian
- Acts 1:9 He Ascended Into Heaven: Why It Still Matters Today
- Acts 1:10-11 This Same Jesus: The Blessed Hope of the Church
- Acts 1:12-14 The Church on its Knees: Unleashing the Power of United Prayer
- Acts 1:15-26 How God Uses Bad People to Do His Will: Another Look at God's Providence
- Acts 1:15, 20 The Scripture Had to Be Fulfilled: Can We Still Believe the Bible?
- Acts 1:15-26 What Happened to Judas? The Man Who Kissed the Door of Heaven But Went to Hell
- Acts 1:21-26 Dice in the Prayer Meeting: Making Tough Decisions with God's Help
Rosscup - "Many authors contributed to this work that had the aim of giving preachers material on introduction, verse by verse exposition, a section on homiletics, and a section of collected homilies (outlines, etc.) by various preachers, which can stimulate thought. It moves through one small section of Bible verses after another." (Rosscup, J. Commentaries for Biblical Expositors: An annotated bibliography of selected works)
RADIO BIBLE CLASS
Gerald Cowen - Older works which one should obtain if the opportunity arises include R. B. Rackham, The Acts of the Apostles (Baker, 1978; reprint of the 1901 edition). This is considered by many to be a classic on Acts, and was called by W. Smith the greatest of all the commentaries on Acts (in Profitable Bible Study). This work includes an extensive introduction, including articles on the theology of Acts, and a verse by verse commentary. (Commenting on Commentaries on Acts)
REFORMATION STUDY BIBLE STUDY NOTES ACTS OF THE APOSTLES
- Acts 1:1
- Acts 1:2
- Acts 1:3
- Acts 1:4
- Acts 1:5
- Acts 1:6
- Acts 1:7
- Acts 1:8
- Acts 1:9
- Acts 1:10
- Acts 1:11
- Acts 1:12
- Acts 1:13
- Acts 1:14
- Acts 1:15
- Acts 1:16
- Acts 1:17
- Acts 1:18
- Acts 1:21
- Acts 1:23
- Acts 1:24
- Acts 1:26
DON ROBINSON Sermons on Acts
- Acts 1:1-11 Why Stand Ye Gazing?
- Acts 1:1-9 The Great Commission, the Power
- Acts 1:12-14 2nd Floor Christianity
- Acts 1:14 Keeping the Church Alive
- Acts 1:15 Why Join Church?
- Study of the Book of Acts - Part 1
- Acts 1:1-11 The Revolution, Anchored in Glorifying God
- Acts 1:8 Anchored and Moving Forward, Dependent upon the Holy Spirit
- Acts 1:8b Anchored and Moving Forward, with a Heart for the Lost
- Acts 1:12-2:13 Anchored and Moving Forward, in Unity
NOTE - These are of variable quality so must be approached with a Berean mindset!
JAMES SMITH - Handfuls on Purpose - expanded sermon outlines
- Click this page for all the topics below
- THE INFANT CHURCH. Acts 1
R C SPROUL - Devotionals
- Acts 1:6–11 The Ascension of Christ
- Acts 1:6–11 The Return of Christ
- Acts 1:8 Power to Minister
- Acts 1:8 Power to Minister -2
- Acts 1:9-26 The Ascension of Christ
- Acts 1:1-10 Purposes of the Book of Acts
- Acts: An Unfinished Story
- Acts 1:1-14 Out Of The Shadows
- Acts 1:15-2:4 The Birthday Of The Church
- Acts 1:8-11 The Ascension of Christ
THIRD MILLENNIUM STUDY NOTES
- The Accession to Pentecost - Acts 1:1-2:47
- The Ascension of Jesus Christ and the Promise of the Holy Spirit - Acts 1:1-11
- The Ascension and Session of Jesus: Why Did Jesus Go to Heaven?
- The Choosing of Matthias - Acts 1:12-26
- Acts 1:1-11 Gazing Into Heaven: The Ascension of Jesus by Derek Thomas
- Acts 1:1-12 Taken Up Coming Back by Donald Patterson
- Acts 1:1-11 Ascended King by David Strain
- Acts 1:6-11 He Ascended into Heaven by James Baird
- Acts 1:8 Obedient to the Last Command by David Meredith
- Acts 1:9-11 I Believe in Jesus Christ Who Ascended Into Heaven by J. Ligon Duncan
- Acts 1:12-14 The New Testament Church - Birthed in Prayer by Derek Thomas
- Acts 1:12-26 To the End of the Earth:(2)Then They Were Twelve Again by Derek Thomas
DAVID E THOMPSON
TODAY IN THE WORD DEVOTIONALS
Moody Bible Institute - Dozens of Devotionals Arranged by Chapter. Click Chapters Below
BOB UTLEY - Acts Commentary
- 1. The Person of the Holy Spirit
- 2. The Work of the Holy Spirit in the Old Testament
- 3. The Work of the Holy Spirit in the Old Testament
- 4. The Holy Spirit in Relation to the Person and Work of Christ
- 5. The Holy Spirit in Relation to the Unsaved World
- 6. The Work of the Holy Spirit in Salvation
- 7. The Work of the Holy Spirit in Salvation
- 8. The Work of the Holy Spirit in the Believer
- 9. The Work of the Holy Spirit in the Believer
- 10. The Work of the Holy Spirit in the Believer
- 11. The Eschatology of the Holy Spirit