Click chart to enlarge
Chart from Jensen's Survey of the NT - used by permission
THE EXPANDING WITNESS OF THE SPIRIT-EMPOWERED CHURCH
MARK ADAMS - Sermons
JOSEPH A ALEXANDER Acts Commentary (1857, 1866)
James Rosscup: "This work, originally out in 1857, has proved helpful to many, though it is now far out of date as to literature commenting on Acts. For many basic details verse by verse, it still is of good value and often will help on word meaning and special problems. The fact that it was reprinted is indicative of its respected place in Acts studies." (Commentaries for Biblical Expositors)
Cyril Barber - A beautifully produced work that brings within the reach of the busy pastor the benefits of this commentator's prodigious labors. A warmly devotional treatment. (The Minister's Library Volume 2)
D Edmond Hiebert - An exhaustive exposition of Acts by a conservative Presbyterian scholar of the past century. Gives a precise interpretation of the text on the basis of the original. Omission of technical matters makes it suitable to the English reader.
HENRY ALFORD - Greek Testament Critical Exegetical Commentary
- Acts 13 Commentary
- Acts 13 Commentary - Similar work but all Latin and Greek are translated into English
FRANK ALLEN - ACTS OF THE APOSTLES(1931)
- Acts 13:1-12 The first foreign missionaries.
- Acts 13:13-52 The preaching of the first foreign missionaries.
PAUL APPLE -642 page commentary - check it out
JACK ARNOLD SERMONS BOOK OF ACTS
- Acts 13:1-3 The First Official Missionaries
- Acts 13:4-13 The Blessings, Burdens and Blunders of Missionaries
- Acts 13:14-41 Paul's First Recorded Sermon
- Acts 13:42-52 Eternal Life: Of God or Man?
WILLIAM ARNOT Acts Commentary
Cyril Barber - These sermons reveal Arnot's thorough awareness of the original text and the milieu of the early church. His material is provocative as well as edifying. Both laypeople and pastors should read this book eagerly in order to better determine the course of the church, its commitments, and the criteria of its fellowship. Recommended.(The Minister's Library Volume 2)
- Acts 12:20-25, 13:1 Antioch Occupied for Christ
- Acts 13:2-12 The First Foreign Mission - Cyprus
- Acts 13:13-52 The Gospel in Asia Minor
WILLIAM BARCLAY'S DAILY STUDY BIBLE
Hiebert - Divides Acts into brief paragraphs, with the author's translation of the portion printed at the beginning. The comments are generally devotional in character, containing various religious and literary quotations. The author is at his best in his discriminating discussion of Greek words. The interpretation is liberal in spots.
ALBERT BARNES Notes on the New Testament on Acts
BRIAN BELL SERMON NOTES
- Acts 13:1-5 The Charge of the Church
- Acts 13:14-16 The Communication of the Church
- Acts 13:38-46 Rising to the Occasion
BIBLICAL ART - retrieved from Google search
- Acts 13:1-12 "The Holy Spirit Leads To Missions"
- Acts 13:13-37 "Paul And The Men Sail To Asia Minor"
- Acts 13:38-52 "Forgiveness Through Christ Is Proclaimed"
- Acts 13:48-14:20 "Ministry And Persecution In Galatia"
JOHN CALVIN Commentary Acts of the Holy Spirit
CAMBRIDGE GREEK TESTAMENT FOR SCHOOLS AND COLLEGES - J. R. Lumby
RICH CATHERS - Sermon Notes - frequent illustrations
MATT CHANDLER Sermons on Acts
ADAM CLARKE Commentary on Acts
STEVEN COLE Sermons Book of Acts
- Acts 13:1-3 The Main Business of the Church
- Acts 13:4-12 Into the Battle
- Acts 13:13-41 The God Who Keeps His Promise
- Acts 13:42-14:7 Good News That Divides
THOMAS CONSTABLE Expository Notes on the book of Acts
W A CRISWELL - Sermon on Acts
- Acts 13 PRAYER AND MISSIONS
- Acts 13:5-6 THE WORK WHERE UNTO GOD HAS CALLED US
- Acts 13:4-12 CHRISTIANITY FACES THE PAGAN WORLD
- Acts 13:38 THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS
- Acts 13:42 TEACHING THE WORD OF THE LORD
- Acts 13:48 THE DOCTRINE OF ELECTION
BOB DEFFINBAUGH EXPOSITORY SERMONS
DEVOTIONALS ON ACTS
Today in the Word (Moody), Our Daily Bread (Radio Bible Class), Our Daily Walk - F B Meyer, Our Daily Homily - F B Meyer, Our Daily Bread
DAN DUNCAN - SERMON For corresponding Mp3's click here.
- Dawn For The Nation Acts 13:1-12
- Justification By Faith Acts 13:13-43
- Awakening In Antioch Acts 13:44-52
JOHN EADIE - Paul the Preacher
CHARLES ELLICOTT, EDITOR - E H PLUMPTRE - AUTHOR
- Acts 13 Commentary Bible Commentary for English Readers
EXPOSITOR'S BIBLE Commentary on Acts of the Apostles - George T. Stokes
WILLIAM M FURNEAUX
ARNO C GAEBELEIN - THE ACTS OF THE APOSTLES - AN EXPOSITION (1912)
D Edmond Hiebert - A forceful, conservative unfolding of the message of Acts by a noted premillennial, dispensational Bible teacher active during the first half of this century. Emphasizes the transition from Judaism to Christianity as portrayed in Acts.
GENE GETZ - short videos (~10) emphasizing principles in the text
- Acts 13:1-3; Video Corporate Wisdom: When we want to discover the will of God, we are to be open to receiving wisdom and guidance from other mature believers.
- Acts 13:4-12;Video Servant-Leadership: No matter what the role is within the body of Jesus Christ, leaders are to allow others who are more qualified than they are to emerge as the prominent leaders.
GLOAG, PATON J - exegetical commentary - helps to know some Greek
- Spurgeon "Dr. Hackett says aye Dr. Gloag's work: "I have examined it with special care. For my purposes I have found it unsurpassed by any similar work in the English language. It shows a thorough mastery of the material, philology, history, and literature pertaining to this range of study, and a skill in the use of this knowledge, which places it in the first class of modern expositions." (Commenting on Commentaries - excellent resource with links to all 66 books)
- A Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the Acts of the Apostles - Volume 2 (or here) - Acts 13-28
GOTQUESTIONS - questions related to the book of Acts
- What can we learn from the life of Barnabas?
- What is the connection between prayer and fasting?
- Christian fasting - what does the Bible say?
- What are the different types of fasting?
- How to fast—what does the Bible say?
- Fast, Fasting - Baker's Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology
- Fast; Fasting - International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
- Fasting - Article by Archibald Alexander
- Why don't Christians fast the same as Muslims?
- How can I recognize the guidance of the Holy Spirit?
- What is the role of the Holy Spirit in our lives today?
- How can I receive divine guidance?
- How can I know God's will for my life? What does the Bible say about knowing God's will?
- How much power does Satan possess?
- What is righteousness?
- What does it mean to pursue righteousness?
- Who was King Saul in the Bible?
- Was King Saul saved?
- Why did God send an evil spirit to torment King Saul?
- What is repentance and is it necessary for salvation?
- Who was John the Baptist in the Bible?
- Was John the Baptist really Elijah reincarnated?
- In what way was John the Baptist the greatest (Matthew 11:11)?
- Why did John the Baptist refer to the Pharisees as a brood of vipers?
- Was Jesus crucified on a cross, pole, or stake?
- What is the meaning of the cross?
- Why is there a curse associated with hanging on a tree?
- What is the curse of the law?
- On Site Article - The Resurrection of Christ
- Who Moved the Stone? by Frank Morrison
- Where do the Hebrew Scriptures prophesy the death and resurrection of the Messiah?
- Why is the truth of the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ so important?
- Why is the resurrection of Jesus Christ important?
- Why should I believe in Christ's resurrection?
- When will the Resurrection take place?
- What is the first resurrection? What is the second resurrection?
- Is the resurrection of Jesus Christ true?
- What is more important, the death of Christ or His resurrection?
- Can the various resurrection accounts from the four Gospels be harmonized?
- What did Jesus mean when He said, “I am the Resurrection and the Life” (John 11:25)?
- What does it mean that Jesus is God's only begotten son?
- What is the doctrine of eternal Sonship and is it biblical?
- What is forgiveness?
- Got Forgiveness? How can I receive forgiveness from God?
- What is the relationship between salvation and forgiveness?
- Do Christians have to keep asking for forgiveness for their sins?
- In regards to forgiveness, is there a difference between willful sin and ignorant sin?
- I have committed _____ sin. Will God forgive me?
- If the Jewish people do not offer animal sacrifices, how do they believe they can receive forgiveness from God?
- Will God forgive me?
- Why do we need to confess our sins if they have already been forgiven (1 John 1:9)?
- Why is justification by faith such an important doctrine?
- What is justification? What does it mean to be justified?
- How do God’s mercy and justice work together in salvation?
- Is there a difference between the book of life and the Lamb's book of life?
- What is the Book of Life?
- Tony Garland's summary - Book of Life - - Its Ultimate Purpose When are Names Written? Names Blotted Out
- Is it possible for a person's name to be erased from the Book of Life?
- Is eternal security biblical?
- What is eternal life?
- What is predestination? Is predestination biblical?
- How are predestination and election connected with foreknowledge?
- Bob Utley's Special Topic: Election/Predestination and the Need for a Theological Balance
GRACE NOTES - Expositional Study by Warren Doud
L M GRANT
W H GRIFFITH-THOMAS
DAVE GUZIK Commentary Notes on Acts
HORATIO B HACKETT A Commentary on the Original Text of the Acts of the Apostles
D Edmond Hiebert - A full verse-by-verse commentary by a conservative Baptist professor of the past century. Still valuable for a clear unfolding of the text of Acts.
C H Spurgeon writes that "Hackett occupies the first position among commentators upon the Acts." (Commenting on Commentaries - excellent resource with links to all 66 books)
F B HOLE
MATTHEW HENRY Commentary on Acts
HOLMAN PUBLISHING - study notes
- Holman Christian Standard Bible Study Bible - Well done conservative notes. Includes access to Holman NT Commentary on each Gospel (see Library in left gutter).
HOMILETICS - Acts 13
INTERVARSITY PRESS Commentary on the Book of Acts - William J Larkin, Jr. (Excellent commentary)
Cyril Barber - Historically helpful. Contains some important insights. Critical matters are confined to the footnotes. Oriented toward the pastorate.
- Acts 13:1--21:16 Paul's Missionary Journeys
- Acts 13:1--14:28 The First Missionary Journey
- Acts 13:1-3 The Commissioning
- Acts 13:4-12 Witness on Cypress
- Acts 13:13-52 Witness at Pisidian Antioch
H A IRONSIDE Commentary on Acts
JAMIESON, FAUSSET, BROWN Commentary on Acts
S. LEWIS JOHNSON Sermons on Acts
- Acts 13:1-4 Antioch and the New Testament Church: Acts
- Acts 13:4-12 The Cypriot Sorcerer Encounters God’s Magic: Acts
- Acts 13:13-25 Paul at Antioch – Biblical Evangelism, part I: Acts
- Acts 13:26-41 Paul at Antioch - Biblical Evangelism, part II
- Acts 13:42-52 Enrolled for Life and Testimony: Acts
Hiebert - An able devotional exposition by a noted Plymouth Brethren scholar of the past century. The viewpoint is premillennial; the volume reflects something of the author's ecclesiastical views. Contains much rich material on the meaning of Acts.
R J KNOWLING The Expositor's Greek Testament The Acts of the Apostles
D Edmond Hiebert - Greek text. Still one of the most thorough commentaries on the Greek text. Significant for the Greek student.
PAUL KRETZMANN Popular Commentary of the Bible The Acts of the Apostles
JOHN MACARTHUR Verse by Verse Sermons on Acts
- Acts 13:1-13 Satanic Resistance
- Acts 13:1-2a Satanic Opposition to a Spirit-Filled Church, Part 1
- Acts 13:2b-13 Satanic Opposition to a Spirit-Filled Church, Part 2
- Acts 13:14-23 Paul Preaches Jesus, Part 1
- Acts 13:23-37 Paul Preaches Jesus, Part 2
- Acts 13:38-41 Paul Preaches Jesus, Part 3
- Acts 13:42-52 The Troubling Gospel
ALEXANDER MACLAREN Sermons on Acts
- Acts 13:1-13 To the Regions Beyond
- Acts 13:9 Why Saul Became Paul
- Acts 13:13 John Mark
- Acts 13:26-39 The First Preaching in Asia Minor
- Acts 13:36, 37 Luther-A Stone on the Cairn
- Acts 13:44-52 Jewish Rejecters & Gentile Receivers
- Acts 13:46 Unworthy of Life
- Acts 13:52 Full of the Holy Ghost
MAPS - related to Acts
- Acts 2 - Pentecost and the Jewish Diaspora
- Acts 4-11 - Expansion of the Early Church in Palestine
- Acts 9, 11, 12 - Paul's Conversion and Early Ministry
- Acts 12:20-23 - Kingdom of Herod Agrippa I (Kingdom of Herod Agrippa II)
- Paul's Journeys (summarized)
- Acts 13:4-14:28 - Paul's First Missionary Journey
- Acts 15:36-18:32 - Paul's Second Missionary Journey
- Acts 18:23-21:26 - Paul's Third Missionary Journey
- Acts 21:15-26:32 - Paul's Arrest and Imprisonment
- Acts 27:1-28:31 - Paul's Voyage to Rome
P G MATTHEW - sermons
- The Church in Mission Acts 13:1-12
- Evangelizing Pisidian Antioch Acts 13:13-43
- Evangelizing Pisidian Antioch, Part Two Acts 13:44-52
J VERNON MCGEE Thru the Bible The Acts of the Apostles
F B MEYER
HEINRICH A. W. MEYER
Greek text. An exhaustive exegetical study of Acts by a well-known German scholar of the past century. Still contains much of value, although unaware of later developments in the understanding of the Koine Greek.
J R MILLER
G CAMPBELL MORGAN The Acts of the Apostles: Commentary
Rosscup writes that this 1947 work is "one of Morgan’s better commentaries and one which the student can profitably consult." (Commentaries for Biblical Expositors: An Annotated Bibliography of Selected Works).
D Edmond Hiebert - Expository messages on Acts by a noted Bible teacher-preacher. His exposition aims at setting forth the spiritual force and method of early Christianity. Stress is placed on the variety of ways in which the Spirit is seen at work in Acts. Offers many illuminating insights.
- Acts of the Apostles - entire book in one Pdf
- Acts Commentary 13:1-3
- Acts Commentary 13:4-12
- Acts Commentary 13:13-41
- Acts Commentary 13:42-52
HENRY MORRIS - Defender's Study Bible notes
- Acts 13:1- Niger Lucius Herod the tetrarch
- Acts 13:2 - the Holy Ghost
- Acts 13:5 - in the synagogues
- Acts 13:13 - Paphos John departing from them
- Acts 13:16 - ye that fear God
- Acts 13:20 - four hundred and fifty years
- Acts 13:33 - second psalm
- Acts 13:34 - on this wise
- Acts 13:35 - another psalm
- Acts 13:40 - in the prophets
- Acts 13:47 - light of the Gentiles
- Acts 13:48 - ordained to eternal life
- Acts 13:52 - filled
ROBERT NEIGHBOUR Wells of Living Water Commentary
NET BIBLE NOTES
PHIL NEWTON Sermons on Acts
- Acts 13:1-3 A Call to Missions
- Acts 13:4-12 Recognizing False Teachers
- Acts 13:13-41 Gospel Invitation
- Acts 13:42-52 Evidences of Grace
JAMES NISBET - Church Pulpit Commentary
OUR DAILY BREAD Devotional Illustrations
- Acts 13:1-5 Pray Or Act?
- Acts 13:1-5 Are You Ready?
- Acts 13:1-13 Doing Things God’s Way
- Acts 13:13 Tough To Love
- Acts 13:22 Wait On The Lord
- Acts 13:22 The Heart Of The Matter
- Acts 13:36-41 A Past Long Gone
- Acts 13:36 Why Not Now?
- Acts 13:39 “I’m Justified!”
- Acts 13:44-52 Witnessing Smarter
THOMAS E. PAGE - 1895 Commentary
- Personality and Manifestation of the Holy Spirit
- The Historic Movement Towards Spirituality
- The Holy Spirit As the Interpreter of Scripture
- The Ministry of the Comforter
- The Convictive Work of the Holy Ghost
- The Witness of the Spirit
- The Human Spirit Limited by the Human Body
- The Gift of the Holy Ghost Considered as the Gospel's Culmination
- The Miracles of the Holy Ghost
- Acts 13:1-13 The First Missionary Journey
- Acts 13:14-41 Paul's First Recorded Speech
- Acts 13:38 The Forgiveness of Sins
- Acts 13:42-52 Growth of Apostolic Power
PASTOR LIFE - sermons
- Acts 13 - Prayer and a Lost World - Donald Cantrell
- Acts 13:38-39 What It Means To Be Forgiven - Sammy Burgess
F N PELOUBET
JOHN PIPER Sermons on Acts
- Acts 13:1-12 The Straight Paths of the Lord
- Acts 13:1-4 Prayer, Fasting and the Course of History
- Acts 13:1-5 Education for Exultation: In Setting Some Apart
- Acts 13:13-29 History Is God's Story
- Acts 13:36 The Mission and Vision of Bethlehem Baptist Church: Volume Two
PREACHER'S HOMILETICAL COMMENTARY The Acts of the Apostles
PULPIT COMMENTARY The Acts of the Apostles
RICHARD RACKHAM The Acts of the Apostles: An Exposition 1904
Rosscup writes "This is a very good though at times terse commentary from the standpoint of Greek and, historical background. Rackham was conservative but amillennial. Verse by verse he often offers good help, and he has addenda on topics such as breaking of bread, Sadducees and Pharisees, etc." (Commentaries for Biblical Expositors)
D Edmond Hiebert - A thorough (513-page), informative exposition by a conservative Anglican scholar. Full treatment of introductory problems. Has a full index. One of the standard older commentaries on Acts.
RADIO BIBLE CLASS
ROBERT RAYBURN SERMONS BOOK OF ACTS
REFORMATION STUDY BIBLE STUDY NOTES
- Acts 13:1
- Acts 13:3
- Acts 13:4
- Acts 13:5
- Acts 13:6
- Acts 13:7
- Acts 13:8
- Acts 13:9
- Acts 13:13
- Acts 13:14
- Acts 13:15
- Acts 13:20
- Acts 13:33
- Acts 13:34
- Acts 13:39
- Acts 13:46
- Acts 13:48
- Acts 13:51
A. T. ROBERTSON Word Pictures on Acts
ROB SALVATO - Sermons
- Acts 13 Sermons - titles below
- Acts 12:5 Peter's Deliverance from Prison
- Acts 12:21-23 The Evil of Pride
CHUCK SMITH Commentary and Sermon Notes
- Acts 13 Commentary
- Sermon Notes for Acts 13:1
- Sermon Notes for Acts 13:4
- Sermon Notes for Acts 13:14
- Sermon Notes for Acts 13:22
- Sermon Notes for Acts 13:22
- Sermon Notes for Acts 13:30
- Sermon Notes for Acts 13:38
- Sermon Notes for Acts 13:38
- Sermon Notes for Acts 13:38-39
- Sermon Notes for Acts 13:42-52
- Sermon Notes for Acts 13:44
- Sermon Notes for Acts 13:47
JAMES SMITH - Handfuls on Purpose - expanded sermon outlines
- Click this page for all the topics below
- THE CALL OF BARNABAS AND SAUL. Acts 13:1-12
- THE GOODNESS OF GOD. Acts 13:13-43
- RESULTS OF PAUL'S PREACHING. Acts 13:42-52
R C SPROUL - Devotionals
C H SPURGEON
- Acts 13:12 Two Pauls and a Blinded Sorcerer
- Acts 13:26 To You
- Acts 13:26 To You - notes
- Acts 13:34 The Sure Mercies of David
- Acts 13:34 - devotional
- Acts 13:39 - devotional
- Acts 13:36 His Own Funeral Sermon
- Acts 13:38 The True Arm of Preaching
- Acts 13:38, 39 Simple Fact and Simple Faith
- Acts 13:46-48 Further Afield
- Acts 13:49 Gospel Missions
RAY STEDMAN Sermon Series - Expository Studies in Acts
THIRD MILLENNIUM - SERMONS AND STUDY NOTES
- Sermons - most Mp3's
- The Kingdom Witness to the Ends of the Earth - Acts 13:1-28:31
- Paul: First Kingdom Missionary Journey - Acts 13:1-14:28
- Kingdom Mission: Set Apart for Me Barnabas and Saul - Acts 13:1-3
- Kingdom Mission: Barnabas and Saul in Cyprus - Acts 13:4-12
- Kingdom Mission: Paul and Barnabas in Pisidian Antioch - Acts 13:13-52
DEREK THOMAS SERMONS BOOK OF ACTS
- Acts 13:1-12 To the End of the Earth (30): Catching the Vision for Missions by Derek Thomas
- Acts 13:13-43 To the End of the Earth (31): Preaching Jesus! by Derek Thomas
- Acts 13:52 Giving Thanks in Hard Places by Brad Mercer
DAVID THOMPSON - Sermon expositions, well-done
TODAY IN THE WORD DEVOTIONALS Book of Acts
Moody Bible Institute - Dozens of Devotionals Arranged by Chapter. Click Chapters Below
- Acts 13 - multiple devotionals on one page
BOB UTLEY - Acts Commentary
MARVIN VINCENT New Testament Word Studies On the Book of Acts
- Whyte's Dictionary of Bible Characters - James the Lord's Brother
- Whyte's Dictionary of Bible Characters - Barnabas
- Acts 13:1-3 Called Into Service
- Acts 13:1-3, 1 Peter 5:1-11 Shared Leadership
- Acts 13:1-12 The First Missionaries
- Acts 13:13-44 Forgiveness of Sins is Proclaimed to you
- Acts 13:42-52 Jealousy and Joy