Chart from recommended resource Jensen's Survey of the OT - used by permission
Chart on Judges - Charles Swindoll
|Jdg 1:1-3:6||Jdg 3:7-16:31||Jdg 17:1-21:25|
|Introduction||History of the Judges||Appendix|
|Causes of the
|Curse of the
|Failure to Complete Conquest Jdg 1:1-36
God's Judgment for
Failure Jdg 2:1-3:6
|Curse of the
|War with the
|Living Like the
|About 350 Years of Israel's History - Almost 25%!
From Compromise to Confusion!
Another Timeline of Israel's History
Click to Enlarge
from Jensen's Survey of the OT
Click to Enlarge
Explanation - The following list includes not only commentaries but other Christian works by well known evangelical writers. Most of the resources below are newer works (written after 1970) which previously were available only for purchase in book form or in a Bible computer program. The resources are made freely available by archive.org but have several caveats - (1) they do not allow copy and paste, (2) they can only be checked out for one hour (but can be checked out immediately when your hour expires giving you time to read or take notes on a lengthy section) and (3) they require creating an account which allows you to check out the books free of charge. To set up an account click archive.org and then click the picture of the person in right upper corner and enter email and a password. That's all you have to do. Then you can read these more modern resources free of charge! I have read or used many of these resources but not all of them so ultimately you will need to be a Berean (Acts 17:11+) as you use them. I have also selected works that are conservative and Biblically sound. If you find one that you think does not meet those criteria please send an email at https://www.preceptaustin.org/
DANIEL BLOCK - Judges, Ruth. Vol. 6: New American Commentary
Cyril Barber says this is "An exceedingly valuable exegetical and theological exposition. Based on the NIV, though Block gives evidence of working from the Hebrew text. Readers will find this a learned, discerning discussion that readily explains the meaning and message of these twin books. Recommended.
Rosscup - An evangelical contributes 586 pp. on Judges and 151 on Ruth. Introductory sections for both books survey the state of scholarly opinion and his belief in the integrity and reliability of the biblical books. Copious footnotes, often lengthy, reflect on others’ views, verifications of points in the books and also in other scripture, etc. Verse by verse work offers detail on grammar, word meaning, background, customs, and interpretive problems. Block holds that Jephthah sacrificed his daughter in death. On passages overall, this is a standout commentary, yet at times it states convictions without a specific answer to other leading views. One instance is in not commenting on the view that Ruth acted indecently with Boaz at night. Some accounts, as episodes of Samson, seem for the most part to be explained in reasonable detail. (Commentaries for Biblical Expositors: An annotated bibliography of selected works)
Tim Challies - Tremper Longman, who has not reviewed Dale Ralph Davis’ volume, gives Block’s commentary a 5-star rating and says, “This contribution is clearly the best thing available on the book of Judges. Block is thoroughly aware of all the literature that precedes his own, and he incorporates what is good and criticizes what is bad.” He also praises Block’s insights along with his literary and theological analysis. This commentary is slightly more advanced and in-depth than Davis’.
DONALD CAMPBELL - Judges Commentary Leaders in Crisis times (Living for God in a Society that has Forgotten God!)
Former president of Dallas Theological Seminary - has wonderful insights, illustrations and practical applications. Unfortunately this book is no longer being published but you may be able to find used copies. Excellent practical commentary on Judges with good illustrations for sermons.
Cyril Barber - A well-informed, judicious exposition that combines a timely handling of the text with a practical application of it. Ideal for adult discussion groups. Recommended.
ARTHUR CUNDALL -TOTC Judges & Ruth: Tyndale Old Testament Commentary (1968)
Arthur Cundall writes the commentary on Judges and Leon Morris writes the commentary on Ruth. These both get excellent reviews - see reviews by several users.
Here is a generic review of the Tyndale series - "The Tyndale volumes have long been the premier shorter-length commentary series on both Testaments throughout the English-speaking world." (Craig Blomberg, Denver Seminary)
PAUL ENNS - Judges Bible Study Commentary Everyman's Bible Commentary (1982) (Zondervan)
Cyril Barber - A practical, clearly outlined, conservative treatment. Ideal for laypeople.
GARY INRIG - Hearts of Iron, Feet of Clay Judges shows us our potential for greatness...our capacity for catastrophe (2005) This is one of my favorite practical commentaries on Judges. - see reviews by users.
Rosscup - This little book is a "sleeper" and has flown under the radar of many evangelicals. I highly recommend it to supplement your teaching and/or preaching through the Book of Judges. Notice that all the reviewers have given it the highest rating possible.
Journey Through Judges - This is a 50 part series online (no charge) walking you through the entire book of Judges (recommended)!
ROBERT G BOLING - Judges The Anchor Bible. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday and Co., 1975.
Cyril Barber's critique - A new translation with scholarly notes and commentary. Neither as helpful to the expository preacher as Fausset's exemplary treatment, nor as abreast of the latest scholarly research as Wood's invaluable work. What is presented, however, is valuable for its correlation of linguistic and historical data.
WILLIAM NEWELL Studies in Joshua-Job This same resource is found here. Download Pdf (allows copy and paste)
Wiersbe says it is "valuable for your library."
Brookman writes "Popular studies with an excellent synopsis of the historical books. It is written in a clear manner, and surveys each book giving key ideas and insights."
JOHN GARSTANG - Joshua Judges: The Foundations of Bible History. Grand Rapids: Kregel Publications, 1978.
Cyril Barber's critique - Reprinted after years of neglect, this epochal work treats history, geography, archaeology, and the settlement of Israel in the land. Though he adheres to a modified form of the documentary hypothesis, Garstang's treatment is nevertheless possessed of a freshness and vitality seldom found in works of this nature.
CHARLES SWINDOLL - Old Testament characters : Bible study guide by Swindoll, Charles R (1991) 132 pages. Chapter 1 = Judges 13-15; Chapter 2 = Judges 16:4-31
BELOW ARE STUDY BIBLES, ETC
KJV Bible Commentary Judges - Hindson, Edward E; Kroll, Woodrow Michael. This is not a study Bible per se, but a one volume commentary with over 3000 pages of comments covering the entire OT/NT. There is no restriction on length of time one can use, but there is no copy and paste function. These are excellent conservative comments that interpret Scripture from a literal perspective. User reviews - it generally gets 4/5 stars from users. Recommended.
The King James Study Bible Second Edition (2013) (Thomas Nelson) contributing editors (only first is listed) include Wayne A. Brindle. There is no restriction on length of time one can use, but there is no copy and paste function.
Zondervan NIV Study Bible - (2011) 2570 pages - Use this one if available as it has more notes than edition below. One hour limit
NIV Study Bible by Barker, Kenneth L; Burdick, Donald W (1995) 2250 pages. This is the first edition. This resource has been fully revised in 2020. One hour limit
NKJV Study Bible: New King James Version Study Bible (formerly "The Nelson Study Bible - NKJV") by Radmacher, Earl D; Allen, Ronald Barclay; House, H. Wayne (1997, 2007); 917 ratings Very helpful notes. Conservative. There is no restriction on length of time one can use, but there is no copy and paste function.
Believer's Bible Commentary - OT and NT - MacDonald, William (1995) 2480 pages. Conservative. Literal. Pithy comments. John MacArthur, says "Concise yet comprehensive - the most complete single-volume commentary I have seen." Warren Wiersbe adds "For the student who is serious about seeing Christ in the Word." One hour limit.
HCSB Study Bible : Holman Christian Standard Bible - General Editor Jeremy Royal Howard (2010) 2360 pages. Conservative. Good notes. Include Holmans excellent maps. One hour limit
Life application study Bible: Old Testament and New Testament: New Living Translation. Has some very helpful notes especially with application of texts. 4,445 ratings One hour limit
The MacArthur study Bible - John MacArthur. Brief but well done notes 1,275 ratings
ESV study Bible - Excellent resource but not always literal in eschatology and the nation of Israel 6,004 ratings
The David Jeremiah Study Bible - (2013) 2208 pages. 2,272 ratings Logos.com - "Drawing on more than 40 years of study, Dr. David Jeremiah has compiled a legacy resource that will make an eternal impact on generations to come. 8,000 study notes. Hundreds of enriching word studies"50+ Essentials of the Christian Faith" articles."
Wycliffe Bible Commentary - Charles Pfeiffer - 1560 pages (1962). 214 ratings Less detailed than the KJV Bible Commentary. Conservative.
The Defender's Study Bible : King James Version by Morris, Henry M. Excellent notes by well known creationist. 45 ratings
New Bible Commentary - Barry G Webb authored Judges. (1994) See user reviews
Compact Bible commentary by Radmacher, Earl D; Allen, Ronald Barclay; House, H Wayne, et al - 954 pages. 424 ratings Multiple contributors to the comments which are often verse by verse. The comments are brief but meaty and can really help your study through a given book. A sleeper in my opinion.
The living insights study Bible : New International Version
The Apologetics Study Bible Understand Why You Believe by Norman Geisler
NIV Archaeological Study Bible (2005) 2360 pages 950 ratings
NIV Celebrate Recovery Study Bible
Daily study Bible for women : New Living Translation
The woman's study Bible : the New King James Version
The study Bible for women : Holman Christian Standard Bible
Daily study Bible for men : New Living Translation
NIV topical Study Bible : New International Version
The Ryrie Study Bible - Charles Ryrie (1978) 2142 pages. Conservative. 216 ratings
The Hebrew-Greek key study Bible : New American standard study by Strong, James, 1822-1894; Zodhiates, Spiros
The new inductive study Bible : updated New American Standard Bible
With the Word - Devotional Commentary - Warren Wiersbe - 428 ratings
Evangelical Commentary on the Bible - Judges by Andrew Boling (20 pages); editor Walter Elwell (1989) 1239 pages. User reviews. (See also Boling's 380 page commentary on Judges the Anchor Bible Series)
Wiersbe's expository outlines on the Old Testament by Wiersbe, Warren W 113 ratings
"Even the most difficult Scriptures come alive as Warren Wiersbe leads you book-by-book through the Old Testament and helps you to see the "big picture" of God's revelation. In this unique volume, you will find: • Introductions and/or outlines for every Old Testament book • Practical expositions of strategic chapters • Special studies on key topics, relating the Old Testament to the New Testament • Easy-to-understand expositions that are practical, preachable, and teachable If you have used Dr. Wiersbe's popular BE series, you know how simple and practical his Bible studies are, with outlines that almost teach themselves. If not, you can now discover a wonderful new resource. This work is a unique commentary on every book of the Old Testament. It contains new material not to be found in the BE series.
The Shaw pocket Bible handbook - Editor - Walter Elwell (1984) 408 pages.
"This hardback is small in size but packed full of content: Brief summaries of every book of the bible, cultural, archaeological and historical info, word definitions, pictures, maps and charts." Worth checking!
DONALD CAMPBELL -
- Judges Commentary - sign in, borrow - How to Win Against Overwhelming Odds
ARTHUR CUNDALL -
- TOTC Judges & Ruth: Tyndale Old Testament Commentary - sign in, borrow - Resentment and Appeasement
- Hearts of Iron, Feet of Clay - sign in, borrow - God's Transforming Presence > No Turning Back > How Not to Know the Will of God Prepared for Victory; Satan's Game Plan - Jdg 7:15-25; Gideon's Sad Ending
ART RELATED To the Book of Judges
- Pictures Related to Book of Judges
- Maps Related to Book of Judges
- The Judges of Israel
- The Period of the Judges
- Ehud and the Oppression of the Moabites
- Deborah's Victory over the Canaanites
- Gideon's Battles with the Amalekites
- Jephthah and the Ammonites
- Samson the the Philistines
- Timelines Related to Book of Judges
- BLB Image Gallery -- 66 Images Related to Judges
WAYNE BARBER - audio but worth listening
This is only available in audio, but is listed because Dr Barber's "down home" preaching style draws out many practical insights on the Christian life from the ancient book of Judges. This series was preached in 1996. Wayne is now with the Lord.
- Little Is Much When God Is In It (Part 1): Judges 6:1-24
- Little Is Much When God Is In It (Part 2): Judges 6:23-32
- Little Is Much When God Is In It (Part 3): Judges 6:33- 7:25
- The Problems A Leader Must Face: Judges 8:1-32
- Be Careful Daddy, There's Somebody Watching: Judges 8:33-9:4
BRIAN BELL Teaching Notes
- Judges 6 A Weak Man, in a Weak Clan,w/a Weak Plan
- Judges 8 The Trouble w/Victory
BIBLE FOR HOME
BIBLE.ORG - Articles
- Judges 6 "The Calling Of Gideon"
- Judges 7 "God Uses Gideon To Deliver Israel From Midian"
- Judges 8 "Gideon Causes Israel To Stumble: Beware Of Success"
GEORGE BUSH Judges Notes 1852
Spurgeon: Like other works of this author—of considerable value.
Cyril Barber - A pleasing synthesis of scholarship and devotion, historical background and relevant exposition. Bible students, whether laypeople or pastors, should eagerly acquire the writings of this fine biblical scholar and for their own edification and enrichment read what he wrote. This valuable reprint of the 1852 edition makes available the rare and rich homiletic suggestions of this Princeton scholar.
CAMBRIDGE BIBLE FOR SCHOOLS AND COLLEGES - D A Cooke
CAMBRIDGE BIBLE COMMENTARY John James Lias
ALAN CARR - SERMON
- Judges 6:1-10 The High Cost of Low Living
- Judges 6:11-24 The Call of Gideon
- Judges 6:25-32 The Cultivation of Gideon
- Judges 6:33-40 The Challenge of Gideon
- Judges 7:1-23 God Has The Best Plan
- Judges 8:1-21 Pride, Politics and Persistence
- Judges 8:22-35 The Temptations of Gideon's Final Days
W A CRISWELL
J N DARBY
BOB DEFFINBAUGH "The Dark Days of Israel's Judges - A Study of the Book of Judges"
- Judges 6:1-35 First Things First
- Judges 6:36-7:23 When Less is More
- Judges 7:23-8:32 When More is Less - Or - What Happened to Gideon?
- Judges 8:33-9:21 When Government is God's Judgment
JOHN DUMMELOW Commentary
DAN DUNCAN - MP3
FOUNDERS MINISTRIES - Writers include Mark Dunn, Tom Nettles, Tom Ascol, Michael Wren
Founders entitles their study of Judges "Half hearted devotion to a wholly devoted God"
- Judges 6:14-16,36-40 Do You Require Signs?
- Judges 6 Gideon The Unlikely Warrior
- Judges 6:1-24 Our Peace
- Judges 6-7 Faithful While Fearful
- Judges 7 With God, Weakness Is Strength
- Judges 8 The Dangers and Inadequacy of Success
- Judges 8:22-9:57 The Fruit of Ungodliness
CHARLES ELLICOTT COMMENTARY FOR ENGLISH READERS
EASY ENGLISH COMMENTARY
EXPOSITOR'S BIBLE COMMENTARY - R A WATSON
- Judges 6:1-14 The Desert Hordes and the Man at Ophrah
- Judges 6:15-32 Gideon, Iconoclast and Reformer
- Judges 6:33-7:7 "The People Are Yet Too Many"
- Judges 7:8-8:21 "Midian's Evil Day"
- Judges 8:22-28 Gideon the Ecclesiastic
- Judges 8:29-9:57 Abimelech and Jotham
EXPOSITOR'S DICTIONARY OF TEXTS
A R FAUSSET Judges - An Expository Commentary
Cyril Barber - A work of immeasurable value. Remains one of the finest treatments extant. A must for the expositor.
Well Done If part of a page does not show switch to the two page view or try "refresh" (F5 Key)
ARNO GAEBELEIN Annotated Bible on Judges
GENE GETZ PRINCIPLES FROM JUDGES
These are short videos with practical principles.
- Judges 6:1-13; Blaming God: We should not blame God for our misfortunes when weve caused these problems through our flagrant disobedience. Video
- Judges 6:14-16; Overcoming Intimidation: Even if we lack status and position in the Christian community, we are to trust God to use us to carry out His work in this world. Video
- Judges 6:17-40; Determining God's Will: We must be very cautious in asking God to verify what He has already made clear in His direct revelation in Scripture. Video
- Judges 7:1-23; Quality versus Quantity: In measuring success and doing God's work, we are to focus on quality rather than quantity. Video
- Judges 8:22-35; Thinking Consistently: To make decisions that glorify God, we must develop a value system that is consistent with God's character. Video
GOTQUESTIONS BOOK OF JUDGES
Have also included selected articles from Fausset's Bible Dictionary which is an older but excellent resource.
- Judges 6-8 What can we learn from the life of Gideon? (Fausset's article)
- Judges 6:32, 7:1 Why is Gideon referred to as Jerubbaal?
- Judges 6:37-40 Is it acceptable to "lay out a fleece" before God in prayer?
- Judges 8-9 Who was Abimelech in the Book of Judges?
L M GRANT
SCOTT GRANT Sermons on Judges
- Judges 6:1-34 Coming Out of Hiding
- Judges 6:33-7:18 Protection from Pride
- Judges 7:19-8:21 Behind the Facade
- Judges 8:22-32 The Stuff that Tragedies are Made of
- Judges 8:33-9:21 Treating A Toxic Relationship
JAMES GRAY - Concise Bible Commentary
DAVE HATCHER - NOTES
ROBERT HAWKER Poor Man's Commentary Judges
- Jehovah Shalom -Pt 1: The LORD our Peace
- Jehovah Shalom - Pt 2
- Angel of the LORD
- How to Handle Fear - 4 Part Study
INTERNATIONAL CRITICAL COMMENTARY George F Moore
JAMIESON, FAUSSET, BROWN
- Judges 8 Commentary
- Judges 8 Commentary - unabridged
S LEWIS JOHNSON Sermons on Judges
- Judges 6:11-40 Gideon and the Call of God
- Judges 6:33-34 The Holy Spirit in the Old Testament
- Judges 7:1-25 Gideon’s Three Hundred
- Judges 8:1-32 The Backslider
JUDGES DEVOTIONALS AND ILLUSTRATIONS
Today in the Word, Back to the Bible, Our Daily Bread, et al
KEIL AND DELITZSCH
HOMER HEATER, JR - Judges
- Judges 6:1-6 - Daily Bible Illustrations - Nomad Aggressions
- Judges 6:11-23 - Daily Bible Illustrations - Gideon
- Judges 6:24-34 - Daily Bible Illustrations - Baal
- Judges 7 - Pictorial Bible
- Judges 7:1-15 - Daily Bible Illustrations - Tests
- Judges 7:16-8:17 - Daily Bible Illustrations - The Stratagem
- Judges 8 - Pictorial Bible
KEITH KRELL - sermons
PAUL E. KRETZMANN The Popular Commentary Lutheran Perspective
- Judges 6:28 Discouragement
- Judges 6:34: Fleece or Faith?
- Judges 7:1 Glory to God
- Judges 7-8 A Quiet Place
- Judges 8:33-35: Web of Conspiracy
LANGE'S COMMENTARY Paulus Cassel
DAVID LEGGE Sermons on Judges
- Judges 6:1-24 Gideon, The Fearful
- Judges 6:25-35 Gideon, The Faithful
- Judges 6:36-40 Gideon and the Fleece
- Judges 7 Gideon, The Fighter
- Judges 8 Gideon, The Fallen
- Judges 6:24 Gideon's Altar
- Judges 6:37 Gideon's Fleece
- Judges 7:1-8 Fit Though Few ’
- Judges 7:13-23 A Battle Without a Sword
MARTIN MANSER - Dictionary Bible themes - interesting
J VERNON MCGEE
F B MEYER
Rosscup comments: Meyer (1847–1929) published this originally in 1895. He left a big witness as a Christian, husband and expositor on the spiritual life. Here he is clear, simple, to the point, and practical in application. The book is especially suited for pastors, Sunday School teachers and laypersons. Sometimes he overdoes things, as in seeing Hittites and confederates as depicting “The evil habits of the old past” (p 12). Yet in many cases he is apt, as using Gideon to show the need to look to God for adequacy. He sees Saul as unsaved, having the Spirit on him but not in him (Commentaries for Biblical Expositors: An annotated bibliography of selected works)
- Judges 6:14
- Judges 7:13
- Judges 8:18
- Judges 8 Commentary
- Judges 6 Commentary - Gideon
- Judges 7 Commentary - Trumpets and Pitchers
- Judges 8 Commentary -Rule Thou Over Us
G CAMPBELL MORGAN
TOMMY NELSON - Mp3's only - click here for messages below - links open very slowly
- Judges 6:1-27: Gideon: The Molding of an Unlikely Hero
- Judges 6-7: “Where Eagles Dare”
- Judges 7:9-25: Lowly Tools for Lofty Tasks
- Judges 8:1-21: Three Persons You Do Not Want To Be
- Judges 8:22-35: An Ephod at Ophrah
NET BIBLE NOTES
JAMES NISBET Church Pulpit Commentary
OUR DAILY BREAD
- Judges 6:11-16 Unlikely Servants
- Judges 6:11-16,33-40 From Worms To Wars
- Judges 6:11-23 Facing Our Fears
- Judges 6:11-16 Ordinary People
- Judges 7:1-23 Midnight Encouragement
- Judges 7:2-8 The Enemy of Trust
- Judges 7:24–8:3 Talk Low, Talk Slow
- Judges 8:22-27 Good Intentions
PHIL NEWTON - SERMON
- Judges 6 Courage for the Faint
- Judges 7:1-8:28 The Sword of the Lord, Part 1
- Judges 8:29-9:57 The Fruit of Unfaithfulness
PETER PETT Commentary on Judges
PREACHER'S HOMILETICAL COMMENTARY
REFORMATION STUDY BIBLE
- Judges 7:1–8
- Judges 7:17
- Judges 7:23–8:21
- Judges 7:25
- Judges 8:1–3
- Judges 8:4–21
- Judges 8:22
- Judges 8:23
- Judges 8:24
- Judges 8:27
- Judges 8:31
- Judges 8:33–9:57
- Judges 8:33
- Judges 8:34
- Judges 8:35
- Judges 6:1-40 "Please, Lord, How Can I Save Israel?"
- Judges 7:1-8:3 "As the Sand That Is On the Seashore"
- Judges 8:4-35 "The Lord Will Rule Over You"
RON RITCHIE Sermon
- Judges 6:1-10 - The Word of God Reaching the Conscience
- Judges 6:11-40 - Gideon Prepared for Service
- Judges 7:1-14 - What Characterizes God's Witnesses in the Day of Ruin
- Judges 7:15-25 - What Testimony Consists In
- Judges 8:1-23 - Difficulties and Snares in Service
- Judges 8:24-35 - Gideon's Ephod
ROB SALVATO - SERMON
RAYMOND H SAXE - expository notes
- Judges 6:1-10 (pdf)
- Judges 6:11-24 (pdf)
- Judges 6:25-40 (pdf)
- Judges 7:1-25 (pdf)
- Judges 8:1-21 (pdf)
- Judges 8:22-35 (pdf)
JOHN SCHULTZ - former missionary to Papau, New Guinea
- Commentary on the Book of Judges - 132 pages
SERMON BIBLE COMMENTARY
CHARLES SIMEON -SERMONS
- Judges 6:36-40 Gideon's Fleece
- Judges 7:19-22 Gideon's Victory Over Midian
- Judges 8:1-3 Gideon Pacifies the Ephraimites
- Judges 8:4 Faint Yet Pursuing
- Judges 8:15-17 Gideon Chastises the Men of Succoth and Penuel
A B SIMPSON
SPEAKER'S BIBLE COMMENTARY
C H SPURGEON
- Judges 6:4ff One War Over and Another Begun
- Judges 6:14 - Faith's Checkbook
- Judges 7 Exposition
- Judges 7:9 Soul Winning
- Judges 7:13, 14 The Dream of the Barley Cake
- Judges 7:20 - Devotional
- Judges 8 Exposition
- Judges 8:4 Faint but Not Faint-Hearted
JOE TEMPLE Judges Sermons
- Judges 6 Gideon, the Deliverer
- Judges 6 Deliverance Provided
- Judges 6:1, 7-10 Continued Disobedience of the Israelites
- Judges 6 God's Instruments of Deliverance
- Judges 7:19-23 Defeat in the Midst of Victory
- Judges 8:33-35, 9:56-57 The New Declension
G W THATCHER - generally verse by verse comments
THIRD MILLENNIUM Book of Judges
- Gideon - Judges 6:1-8:32
- The Evil Situation at the Time of His Call - Judges 6:1-10
- Gideon's Call to Deliver - Judges 6:11-32
- Gideon's Struggle to Believe God's Promise - Judges 6:33-7:18
- Gideon Delivers Israel From Midian - Judges 7:19-8:21
- The Evil Situation When He Died - Judges 8:22-32
- Abimelech - Judges 8:33-9:57
- Introduction of Idolatry - Judges 8:33-35
DAVID THOMPSON SERMONS
TODAY IN THE WORD
JOHN TRAPP Commentary on Judges
JAMES VAN DINE
JOHN WESLEY - Notes on the Bible
Spurgeon comments: Mr. Wiseman in this work tells “of Gideon and Barak, of Samson and of Jephthah,” and he does it in a powerful style. He was one of the best preachers in the Wesleyan body. A man of fulness, and judiciousness; in fact, a wise man.
Cyril Barber - Men of Faith... contains a wealth of practical material; applications are offered to encourage and challenge us today. The author presents a general view of the period of the judges along with an in depth study of the lives of Barak, Gideon, Jephthah, and Samson.
Brookman - A valuable classic reprint study that presents a general overview of the period of the Judges along with an in depth study of the lives of Barak, Gideon, Jephthah and Samson."
Wiersbe - (Contains) rich veins of gold that others have ignored or neglected. I rejoice that (this) classic is available again for people who are serious about Bible study...you (will) find insights from the Scriptures that can enrich your life and ministry."
- Judges 6 The Lord Is With You, O Valiant Warrior
- Judges 7 The Torch Bearers
- Judges 8,9 From Triumph To Tragedy
SERMONS BY VERSE - older works