Click chart to enlarge
Charts from Jensen's Survey of the NT - used by permission
Another Chart from Charles Swindoll
JOSEPH ADDISON ALEXANDER GOSPEL ACCORDING TO MATTHEW
Cyril Barber - Published posthumously in 1861 and covering (in detail) only chapters 1-16, this volume contains the same richness of thought and close attention to detail that is found in Alexander's other commentaries.
- Matthew 1:1-17 The Lineage of Our King
- Matthew 1:18-25 Wondering at Immanuel
- Matthew 1:18-25 God With Us
- Matthew 1:18-25 Our Redeemer - Preserved!
MICHAEL ANDRUS - click link for audio and notes - click notes for pdf
Comment: I appreciate Barclay's unique insights on Greek words, but clearly his teaching about a "second chance" is NOT sound doctrine! Be an Acts 17:11 Berean with Barclay. See discussion of his orthodoxy especially the article "The Enigmatic William Barclay".
JOHANN A BENGEL
- Matthew 2:1-12 Three Seekers
- Matthew 2:1-12 Devotion
- Matthew 2:1-12 Give More
- Matthew 2:1-8 A Tale of Two Kings
- Matthew 2:13-23 Dealing with the Post-Christmas Blahs
JIM BOMKAMP SERMONS MATTHEW
- Matthew 2: The Two Responses To Hearing About Jesus Christ: The Magi Verses Herod"
- Matthew 2:1-23 The Magi Visit Baby Jesus
- Matthew 2:1-12 Wise Men Still...
- Matthew 2:1-12 Following A Star And Finding A Shack
- Matthew 2:1-12 The Sacrifice Of Biblical Worship, Part 2
- Matthew 2 Commentary - Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges
- Matthew 2 Commentary - Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges - more Greek text
- Matthew 2:11 A Gift for Christ
- Matthew 2:11 When They Opened Their Treasures
- Matthew 2:2 The Lights of Christmas
RON DANIEL - Sermon Notes
- Matthew 2:1-23 Two Incredible Journeys
- Matthew 2:1-12, 16-18 Responses to the Revelation of the Coming of the King
- Matthew 2:13-18 The Slaughter of the Infants and Innocent Suffering
- Matthew 2:1-12 Wise Men from the East
- Matthew 2:1-12 Nine Lessons and Carols- Born by the Book
- Matthew 2:1-12 Irony and Worship at Christmas
- Matthew 2:1-12 Jesus born in Bethlehem: According to Scripture
- Matthew 2:13-23 Flight, Murder, and Return From Egypt
CHARLES ELLICOTT (editor) - Edward H Plumptre - author of Matthew
CHARLES R ERDMAN
EXPLORE THE BIBLE
EXPOSITOR'S BIBLE COMMENTARY - John Gibson
EXPOSITOR'S DICTIONARY OF TEXTS - excerpts from other sermons
EXPOSITOR'S GREEK TESTAMENT - A B Bruce
- Matthew - Discovering Christ in Matthew (>900pp, Note Fortner is not literal on prophecy)
- Matthew 2:23 Christ the Nazarene
- Matthew 2:1-12 Lessons From The Wise Men
- Matthew 2:13-23 Satan's First Assault
GENE GETZ - 10+/- minute videos emphazing principles in each section of Scripture
- Matthew; Principle #3; Mt. 2:1-12; Worshipful Generosity: We are always to use our material gifts s to worship and praise God and His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. Video
GOTQUESTIONS GOSPEL OF MATTHEW
- Gospel of Matthew - Bible Survey
- What were the key events in the life of Jesus Christ?
- Why did God give us four Gospels?
- What is the harmony of the Gospels?
- What is a Christmas nativity?
- Is Micah 5:2 a Messianic prophecy?
- Why was Jesus born in a manger?
- What year was Jesus Christ born? When was Jesus born?
- Can the various resurrection accounts from the four Gospels be harmonized?
- When were the Gospels written?
- Mt 1:1-16 Is there an error in the counting of the generations in Matthew chapter 1?
- Why are Jesus' genealogies in Matthew and Luke so different?
- How old was Mary when Jesus was born?
JAMES HASTINGS - in depth
HOLMAN STUDY - Open>select "gear" symbol right upper page>select "Synch>enter Scripture
- Matthew Notes - well done notes
DAVID HOLWICK - frequent illustrations
- Matthew 2:1-2 A Journey To Jesus
- Matthew 2:1-2 Debunking Christmas
- Matthew 2:1-10 The Star of Bethlehem
- Matthew 2:1-10 The Strangest Star
- Matthew 2:1-12 The Fourth Wise Man
- Matthew 2:1-12 What Most Miss At Christmas
- Matthew 2:9-11 Gift Getting
- Matthew 2:9-11 The Best Present
- Matthew 2:9-11 Magi - Giving the Best
- Matthew 2:9-11 What Will Jesus Get?
- Matthew 2:9-12 The Father's Gift
- Matthew 2:9-12 Why All the Hassle?
- Matthew 2:11-15 Who Belongs Here?
- Matthew 2:16-18 Crying at Christmas
Tim Challies: Keener’s work receives high recommendations and significant warnings about the limits of its usefulness.
- Matthew 2:1-12 When Bethlehem Became the House of Bread
- Matthew 2:13-23 From Bethlehem to Egypt to Nazareth
STEVE KRELOFF - Messianic Pastor
- Matthew - Six Ways Satan Is Stealing Christmas
- Matthew 2: Jesus' Birth Fulfills Prophecy
- Matthew 2:1: Who Were the Wise Men?
- Matthew 2:1-3: Fools and Wise Men 1 - Study Guide - click dropdown
- Matthew 2:1-3: Fools and Wise Men 1
- Matthew 2:4-12: Fools and Wise Men 2 - Study Guide - click dropdown
- Matthew 2:4-12: Fools and Wise Men 2
- Matthew 2:13-15: The King Fulfills Prophecy- 1
- Matthew 2:16-23: The King Fulfills Prophecy- 2
- Matthew 1 An Unsavory Lineage
- Matthew 1:1-17 Why Does God Include Israel's Checkered History in Christ's Family Tree?
- Matthew 1 God with Us
J VERNON MCGEE
HEINRICH A MEYER - Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament
Hiebert - The prince of biblical expositors covers the entire gospel in a series of seventy-three biblical expositions. This volume on Matthew is the best of his expository volumes on the four gospels. Does not deal with critical introductory problems. The volume requires careful and intent reading, and offers many rich spiritual insights into Matthew's gospel.
HENRY MORRIS - Defender's Study Bible study notes - well-done, conservative
JAMES NISBET - Church Pulpit Commentary
- Matthew 2
- Matthew 2:1-2
- Matthew 2:2
- Matthew 2:1-12
- Matthew 2:1-12
- Matthew 2:1-10
- Matthew 2:11-12
- Matthew 2:11
- Matthew 2:1-12 Bethlehem's Brightest - The Seekers Song -Donald Cantrell
- Matthew 2:1-12 The Three Gifts-Franklin L. Kirksey
- Matthew 2:1-12 We Shall Give Him Our Substance-David E. Owen
- Matthew 2 What Do You Give Someone Who Has Everything? - J. Mike Minnix
- Matthew 2 Wise Worship-Frank Page
- Matthew 2:11 Christmas Gift Suggestions-Paul E. Brown
- Matthew 2:1-10 Do You Hear What I Hear?-Johnny Hunt
- Matthew 2:1-12 What Happened in Bethlehem Didn't Stay in Bethlehem!-J. Mike Minnix
- Matthew 2:1-12 What Shall I Give This King?-David E. Owen
- Matthew 2:1-23 O Worship the King-Franklin L. Kirksey
- Matthew 2:1-6 Do You Hear What I Hear?-Terry Trivette
- Matthew 2:2 How Should A King Come?- Franklin L. Kirksey
EDWARD PLUMPTRE - In Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers
- Matthew 2:1-12 We Three Kings
- Matthew 2:1-6 The King Has Come!
- Matthew 2 Herod: The Man Who Tried to Kill Christmas
- Matthew 2:7-12 Follow the Christmas Star
- Matthew 2:16-18 Christmas Tears
DON ROBINSON - transcripts, conservative
J C RYLE
C H SPURGEON
- Matthew 2 Commentary
- Spurgeon's 500 Page Commentary on Matthew
- Matthew 2:1-4 The Far-Off, Near; the Near Far Off
- Matthew 2:2 The Sages, the Star, and the Savior
- Matthew 2:14 Out of Egypt
- Matthew 2:23 The Nazarene and the Sect of the Nazarenes
TODAY IN THE WORD - Devotionals often with good sermon illustrations
DANIEL B. WALLACE
- Sorry - Links keep changing at this so cannot keep the live any longer - go to link for sermons, select "Browse Books" then "Matthew" and scroll down
- Matthew 1-2 The Savior Appears: God with Us
- Matthew 2:13-21 The Light Still Shines
- Matthew 2:1-12 We Have Seen His Star
THIRD MILLENNIUM STUDY NOTES MATTHEW
- During the time of King Herod - Matthew 2:1-2
- Herod called the Magi secretly - Matthew 2:3-12
- Get up, take the child . . . and escape to Egypt - Matthew 2:13-18
- Get up, take the child . . . and go to the land of Israel Matthew 2:19-23