Click chart to enlarge
Charts from Jensen's Survey of the NT - used by permission
Another Chart from Charles Swindoll
Explanation - The following list includes not only commentaries but other Christian works by well known evangelical writers. Most of the resources below are newer works (written after 1970) which previously were available only for purchase in book form or in a Bible computer program. The resources are made freely available by archive.org but have several caveats - (1) they do not allow copy and paste, (2) they can only be checked out for one hour (but can be checked out immediately when your hour expires giving you time to read or take notes on a lengthy section) and (3) they require creating an account which allows you to check out the books free of charge. To set up an account click archive.org and then click the picture of the person in right upper corner and enter email and a password. That's all you have to do. Then you can read these more modern resources free of charge! I have read or used many of these resources but not all of them so ultimately you will need to be a Berean (Acts 17:11+) as you use them. I have also selected works that are conservative and Biblically sound. If you find one that you think does not meet those criteria please send an email at https://www.preceptaustin.org/
The Beatitudes for today by Blanchard, John
The Gospel of Matthew by Boice, James Montgomery
When Jesus confronts the world : an exposition of Matthew 8-10 by Carson, D. A
Matthew's Story: Good News for Uncertain Times. Thompson, William G New York: Paulist Press, 1989. A clear introduction to Matthew as story theology for Christians who wish to have their faith stimulated
Matheson (Ligonier) - This massive work (almost 1,600 pages) is the fruit of a lifetime of teaching the Gospel of Matthew. The commentary is in-depth without losing sight of the big picture. It is scholarly without being unreadable. Very highly recommended.
A critical and exegetical commentary on the Gospel according to Saint Matthew : in three volumes by Davies, W. D. (William David), and D.C. Allison (International Critical Commentary)
Matheson (Ligonier) - For those doing an exhaustive study of the Gospel of Matthew, the work of Davies and Allison is indispensable. Readers should be aware that it is written from a moderately critical perspective, but in terms of comprehensiveness, there is nothing quite like this commentary. It is a highly technical commentary on the Greek text and thus not suitable for lay readers, but discerning pastors who are looking for information on every conceivable issue related to the text need look no further. The three paperback volumes are somewhat expensive (see links above), but they are a bargain compared to the hardcovers, which run approximately $150 each! For those not interested in all the technical details, an abridged version is also available.
Cyril Barber - A massive work. Learned, yet not so erudite that it is beyond the comprehension level of a seminary-trained pastor. The nuances of the Greek text are ably elucidated. Scheduled for 3 volumes. Replaces the earlier work by W. C. Allen.
The Sermon on the Mount by Davies, W. D. (William David)
The setting of the Sermon on the Mount by Davies, W. D. (William David)
Seeking the kingdom : the Sermon on the mount made practical for today by Dockery, David S
Cyril Barber - A practical guide applying the contents of Matthew 5--7 to the needs of people today who are waiting for Christ’ return and the inauguration of His Kingdom.
The Bible knowledge background commentary : Matthew-Luke by Evans, Craig A - This resource will give you very interesting insights and is worth checking on individual passages.
The Gospel of Matthew by France, R. T New International Commentary on the New Testament, (2007)
Challies - France has a volume in the Tyndale series that is highly regarded, but it has since been eclipsed by his much longer and more significant contribution to the NICNT. That series, like so many, is somewhat uneven, but France’s is said to be excellent. Keith Mathison says the “work is thorough and solidly evangelical and will be beneficial to pastors and all serious students of Scripture.” I expect to find a greater number of endorsements as the commentators catch up with newer volumes like this one.
Keith Matheson (Ligonier) - A short commentary on the Gospel of Matthew has been available by R.T. France in the Tyndale New Testament Commentary series since 1985, but in 2007, France published a much more comprehensive commentary on this Gospel in the NICNT series—The New International Commentary on the New Testament. France’s work is thorough and solidly evangelical and will be beneficial to pastors and all serious students of Scripture. His commentary is distinctive in that he takes a largely preterist approach to much of the Olivet Discourse.
Kingdom life in a fallen world : living out the Sermon on the Mount by Ferguson, Sinclair B
Cyril Barber - A challenging discussion of the relevance of Matthew 5--7 to the life of the believer.
The Sermon on the Mount by Ferguson, Sinclair B
The Gospel according to Matthew : an introduction and commentary by France, R. T
Rosscup (comment on his work in the Tyndale NT Commentary) - This work, only a fair one, was done to replace R. V. G. Tasker’s work. It handles many matters well, concisely, and usually hits the crux of interpretation, showing awareness of considerable scholarly literature and main views. France uses the NIV text. He draws up summaries of sections and shows the meaning and connection in context.
Matthew 1-14 by Gangel, Kenneth O - This is more like a workbook with questions and short explanatory notes.
Matthew 15-28 by Gangel, Kenneth O
Reading Matthew : a literary and theological commentary on the first gospel by Garland, David E
The Gospel of Matthew by Hobbs, Herschel H., (1965) 364 pages
The Gospel of Matthew by Hobbs, Herschel H (1961) 264 pages
Abba Father : the Lord's pattern for prayer (Matthew 6:9-14) by Hughes, R. Kent,
Book of Matthew : the carpenter king by Lucado, Max
Matthew : the coming of the King by MacArthur, John,
The Gospel of Matthew: Behold Your King by MacDonald, William (1974) 340 pages
Matthew 1-13 by McGee, J. Vernon
Matthew 14-28 by McGee, J. Vernon
The Gospel according to Matthew by Morgan, G. Campbell
The Gospel According to St. Matthew : an Introduction and Commentary by Tasker, R. V. G (1983) 292 pages. 2 ratings
Matthew, a study guide commentary by Vos, Howard Frederic,
Live like a king : making the Beatitudes work in daily life by Wiersbe, Warren
Rosscup - First published in 1976. Wiersbe recognizes the present and future implications of the “Sermon on the Mount,” and expounds the Beatitudes (Matthew 5:1-16) with God’s Kingdom program in mind. Here is a work that is rich in insights and spiritual application. Each message deals with the realities of living the Christian life as a “King’s kid.” Recommended.
Cyril Barber - A devotional masterpiece. Practical, relevant, rich in insights, and rewarding in its application of truth to life. This brief work deserves to be read slowly and carefully
The Bible exposition commentary by Wiersbe, Warren W - All NT books in one source. Excellent.
Rosscup - One of America’s most appreciated staunchly evangelical Bible conference teachers gives diligent, refreshing expositions. These are all of his 23 separate, earlier books in the “Be” series on the New Testament. He strikes a particular appeal with lay people as he crystallizes sections, deals with some of the verses, handles certain problems and backgrounds and applies principles. He is premillennial.
Wiersbe's Expository Outlines on the New Testament by Wiersbe, Warren W
Cyril Barber - This is a book of exceptional merit. Pastors, missionaries, and Christian workers will profit from its use. Wiersbe introduces each book of the NT, provides an outline, and then furnishes his readers with a chapter-by-chapter discussion of the contents. The homiletic style is a “plus.” Recommended.
Windows on the parables by Wiersbe, Warren
Interpreting the parables by Blomberg, Craig
Chronological and Background Charts of the NEW TESTAMENT - Pdf - D Wayne House - outstanding compilation of charts - check this one out!. This book can also be borrowed = Chronological and background charts of the New Testament
Note: The first 3 resources have no time restriction and allow copy and paste function:
(1) KJV Bible Commentary - Hindson, Edward E; Kroll, Woodrow Michael. Over 3000 pages of the entire OT/NT. Well done conservative commentary that interprets Scripture from a literal perspective. Pre-millennial. User reviews - it generally gets 4/5 stars from users. - 372 ratings
Very well done conservative commentary that interprets Scripture from a literal perspective user reviews
The King James Version Bible Commentary is a complete verse-by-verse commentary. It is comprehensive in scope, reliable in scholarship, and easy to use. Its authors are leading evangelical theologians who provide practical truths and biblical principles. Any Bible student will gain new insights through this one-volume commentary based on the timeless King James Version of the Bible.
(2) The King James Study Bible Second Edition 2240 pages (2013) (Thomas Nelson) General Editor - Edward Hindson with multiple contributing editors. . 3,194 ratings. Pre-millennial. See introduction on How to Use this Study Bible.
(3) NKJV Study Bible: New King James Version Study Bible (formerly "The Nelson Study Bible - NKJV") by Earl D Radmacher; Ronald Barclay Allen; Wayne H House. 2345 pages. (1997, 2007). Very helpful notes. Conservative. Pre-millennial. 917 ratings
The Experiencing God Study Bible : the Bible for knowing and doing the will of God - Blackaby, Henry (1996) 1968 pages - CHECK THIS ONE! Each chapter begins with several questions under the title "PREPARE TO MEET GOD." Then you will interesting symbols before many of the passages. The chapter ends with a "DID YOU NOTICE?" question. This might make a "dry chapter" jump off the page! Read some of the 48 ratings
The New Testament and Wycliffe Bible commentary - This version has no time restriction but only has the NT.
The David Jeremiah study bible - (2013) 2208 pages. 2,272 ratings Logos.com - "Drawing on more than 40 years of study, Dr. David Jeremiah has compiled a legacy resource that will make an eternal impact on generations to come. 8,000 study notes. Hundreds of enriching word studies"50+ Essentials of the Christian Faith" articles."
Believer's Bible Commentary by MacDonald, William (1995) 2480 pages
Dr. John MacArthur, Jr. - "Concise yet comprehensive - the most complete single-volume commentary I have seen."
Warren Wiersbe - "For the student who is serious about seeing Christ in the Word."
Compact Bible commentary by Radmacher, Earl D; Allen, Ronald Barclay; House, H Wayne, et al - 954 pages. 424 ratings Multiple contributors to the comments which are often verse by verse. The comments are brief but meaty and can really help your study through a given book. A sleeper in my opinion.
NIV cultural backgrounds study Bible. bringing to life the ancient world of scripture Keener, Craig and Walton, John. Editors (2017)
The NIV study Bible by Barker, Kenneth L; Burdick, Donald W (1995) 2250 pages. Note this is the first edition. This resource has been fully revised in 2020.
The Word in life Study Bible - Only covers the NT. Very interesting format. Not your routine study Bible. Worth checking (e.g., here is a picture of Jesus' post-resurrection appearances.)
JOSEPH ADDISON ALEXANDER GOSPEL ACCORDING TO MATTHEW
Cyril Barber - Published posthumously in 1861 and covering (in detail) only chapters 1-16, this volume contains the same richness of thought and close attention to detail that is found in Alexander's other commentaries.
MICHAEL ANDRUS - click link for audio and notes - click "Notes" for pdf
- Matthew 4:1-11 - The Testing of Jesus
- Matthew 4:12-17 - Jesus the Galilean
- Matthew 4:18-22 - Fishers of Men
- Matthew 4:23-25 - The Word and the Power
Comment: I appreciate Barclay's unique insights on Greek words, but clearly his teaching about a "second chance" is NOT sound doctrine! Be an Acts 17:11 Berean with Barclay. See discussion of his orthodoxy especially the article "The Enigmatic William Barclay".
JOHANN A BENGEL
G. R. BLACKABY
JIM BOMKAMP SERMONS MATTHEW
- Matthew 2:1-12 Wise Men Still...
- Matthew 2:1-12 Following A Star And Finding A Shack
- Matthew 2:1-12 The Sacrifice Of Biblical Worship, Part 2
- Matthew 4 Commentary - Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges
- Matthew 4 Commentary - Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges - more Greek text
- Matthew 4:1-11 Terrible Temptation
- Matthew 4:12-16 The Great Light
- Matthew 4:18-22 Fishers of Men
- Matthew 4:1-11 The World of Satan
- Matthew 4:18 Fishing for Men
- Matthew 4:13-16 Those Who Shall Never Die
- Matthew 4:1-11 The World Of Satan
- Matthew 4:1-11 The Triumph of Christ Over Satan
RON DANIEL - Sermon Notes
- Matthew 3:13-4:11 The Baptism And Temptation Of Jesus
- Matthew 4:12-24 Follow Me
- Matthew 4:25-5:16 The Beatitudes; Salt And Light
- Matthew 3:13—4:4 The Temptation of Jesus, Part I
- Matthew 4:5-7 The Second Temptation of Jesus Satan’s “Leap of Faith”
- Matthew 4:8-10 The Third Temptation of Jesus
- Matthew 4:12-25 The Commencement of Jesus’ Ministry
- Matthew 4:18-5:16 Hope in the Gospels
- Matthew 4:1-11 Jesus' Temptation and Response
- Matthew 4:12-17 The Kingdom of Heaven is at Hand
- Matthew 4:18-22 Four Disciples Chosen
- Matthew 4:23-25 Proclamation and Healing
CHARLES ELLICOTT (editor) - Edward H Plumptre - author of Matthew
CHARLES R ERDMAN
EXPLORE THE BIBLE
EXPOSITOR'S BIBLE COMMENTARY - John Gibson
EXPOSITOR'S DICTIONARY OF TEXTS - excerpts from other sermons
EXPOSITOR'S GREEK TESTAMENT - A B Bruce
GENE GETZ - 10+/- minute videos emphazing principles in each section of Scripture
- Matthew; Principle #5; Mt. 4:1-11; The Power of Scripture: When we're tempted to violate God's will, we are to follow Jesus' example and use Scripture to thwart Satan's efforts. Video
- Matthew; Principle #6; Mt. 4:18-22; Dedicated Discipleship: To follow the Lord Jesus Christ, we must faithfully apply His teachings. Video
- Matthew; Principle #7; Mt. 4:23-5:1; Producing Mature Disciples: To develop mature Christ-followers, all spiritual leaders should give special attention to those who have a sincere desire to learn deep spiritual truths. Video
GOTQUESTIONS GOSPEL OF MATTHEW
- Gospel of Matthew - Bible Survey
- What were the key events in the life of Jesus Christ?
- Why did God give us four Gospels?
- What is the harmony of the Gospels?
- Mt 4:1-10 What was the meaning and purpose of Jesus' temptations?
- Mt 4:19 What does it mean to be “fishers of men”?
JAMES HASTINGS - in depth
DAVID HOLWICK - frequent illustrations
Tim Challies: Keener’s work receives high recommendations and significant warnings about the limits of its usefulness. It may also be going out of print since it is not available at Westminster Books and is currently available only from Amazon resellers. This is the kind of commentary I tend to avoid since I don’t consider myself sufficiently schooled to confidently sort through the weaknesses. However, most experts do recommend it with certain caveats. (Challies.com)
- INTRODUCTION TO THE KINGDOM (1:1-4:23)
- Word About Jesus Spreads Widely (4:25)
STEVE KRELOFF - Messianic Pastor
- Matthew 4:1-12 The Victory of the King
- Matthew 4:12-16 The Springing of the Great Light
- Matthew 4:17-25The Early Welcome and the First Ministers of the King
ROD MATTOON - excellent illustrations
- The Sermon on the Mount - Matthew 5:1-48 - 312 pages - Illustrations Index on page 301
- The Sermon on the Mount Volume 2 - Matthew 6-7 - 328 pages - Numerous Illustrations Index on page 323
J VERNON MCGEE
HEINRICH A MEYER - Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament
Hiebert - The prince of biblical expositors covers the entire gospel in a series of seventy-three biblical expositions. This volume on Matthew is the best of his expository volumes on the four gospels. Does not deal with critical introductory problems. The volume requires careful and intent reading, and offers many rich spiritual insights into Matthew's gospel.
HENRY MORRIS - Defender's Study Bible study notes - well-done, conservative
- Matthew 4:1-11 Tempted and Triumphant
- Matthew 4:12-17 The Kingdom is Here!
- Matthew 4:18-22 Fishers of Men
- Matthew 4:23-5:2 Christianity in Ministry and Practice
JAMES NISBET - Church Pulpit Commentary
- Matthew 4:1
- Matthew 4:4
- Matthew 4:4
- Matthew 4:1-11
- Matthew 4:1-11
- Matthew 4:1-11
- Matthew 4:1-11
- Matthew 4:1-11
- Matthew 4:12-17
- Matthew 4:17
- Matthew 4:18-20
- Matthew 4:18-22
- Matthew 4:18-25
- Matthew 4:18-25
- Matthew 4:19
- Matthew 4:20
- Matthew 4:19
- Matthew 4:19
- Matthew 4 In The New Year - Temped But True-J. Mike Minnix
- Matthew 4:1-11 Tackling Temptation-Denis Lyle
- Matthew 4:1-11 The Story of Jesus - His Temptation-David E. Owen
- Matthew 4:1-11 The Cross We Cannot Ignore-Johnny L. Sanders
- Matthew 4:19-20 Extreme Makeover: Holy Edition-Franklin L. Kirksey
- Matthew 4:21-22 Happy Father's Day Zebedee!-Franklin L. Kirksey
- Matthew 4:4 The Mouth of God-J. Mike Minnix
EDWARD PLUMPTRE - In Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers
- Matthew 4:1-11 Tempted as a Man
- Matthew 4:12-17 Transformed Lives
- Matthew 4:18-22 What is a Christian?
- Matthew 4:23-25 Jesus the Miracle Worker
DON ROBINSON - transcripts, conservative
J C RYLE
C H SPURGEON
- Matthew 4 Commentary
- Spurgeon's 500 Page Commentary on Matthew
- Matthew 4:1 Tempted by the Devil
- Matthew 4:3 Sonship Questioned
- Matthew 4:3 Sonship Questioned - Sermon Notes
- Matthew 4:4 Infallibility - Where to Find It and How to Use It
- Matthew 4:5-7 Temptations on the Pinnacle
- Matthew 4:15-16: Light for Those Who Sit in Darkness
- Matthew 4:19: How to Become Fishers of Men
- Matthew 4:19- The Making of Men-catchers - Sermon Notes
- Matthew 4:20 Straightway
- Matthew 4:23-25 Three Homilies from One Text
- Matthew 4 - click for devotional on passages below
- Matthew 4:1
- Matthew 4:4
TODAY IN THE WORD - Devotionals often with good sermon illustrations
DANIEL B. WALLACE
- Matthew: Introduction, Argument, and Outline
- Matthew 4:18-22 Fishing in NT: A Misunderstood Analogy for Evangelism
- Sorry - Links keep changing at this so cannot keep the live any longer - go to link for sermons, select "Browse Books" then "Matthew" and scroll down
- Matthew 3-4 The Savior Appears: Come and See
THIRD MILLENNIUM STUDY NOTES MATTHEW
- Temptation in the wilderness - Matthew 4:1-11
- Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert - Matthew 4:1
- If you are the Son of God - Matthew 4:2-4
- If you are the Son of God - Matthew 4:5-7
- If you will bow down and worship me - Matthew 4:8-11
- Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near - Matthew 4:12-17
- Come, follow me - Matthew 4:18-22
- Preaching the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease - Matthew 4:23-25
- The Gospel: What Is Salvation and How Do I Get It?