Click chart to enlarge
cChart from recommended resource Jensen's Survey of the OT - used by permission
|Summary Chart of
The Book of Genesis
|Topics||Beginning of the Human Race
(Race As A Whole)
|Beginning of the Hebrew Race
(Family of Abraham)
|Faithfulness of Mankind
|Faithfulness of One Man's Family
From Eden to Ur
From Canaan to Egypt
(20% of Genesis)
|About 300 Years
193 Yr in Canaan, 93 Yr in Egypt
(80% of Genesis)
- blessed - Ge 9:7 1:22,28 2:3 8:17 24:60 Ps 112:1 128:3,4 Isa 51:2
- Be - Ge 9:7,19 1:28 8:17 10:32
And God blessed Noah and his sons and said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth
Genesis 9:2 "The fear of you and the terror of you will be on every beast of the earth and on every bird of the sky; with everything that creeps on the ground, and all the fish of the sea, into your hand they are given.
- Ge 1:28 2:19 35:5 Lev 26:6,22 Job 5:22,23 Ps 8:4-8 104:20-23 Eze 34:25 Ho 2:18 Jas 3:7
The fear of you and the terror of you will be on every beast of the earth and on every bird of the sky; with everything that creeps on the ground, and all the fish of the sea, into your hand they are given.
- Every - Lev 11:1-47 22:8 De 12:15 14:3-21 Ac 10:12-15 1Ti 4:3-5
- even - Ge 1:29,30 Ps 104:14,15 Ro 14:3,14,17,20 1Co 10:23,25,26,31 Col 2:16,21,22 1Ti 4:3,4
Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you, as I gave the green plant
- the life - Lev 3:17 7:26 17:10-14 19:26 De 12:16,23 14:21 15:23 1Sa 14:34 Ac 15:20,25,29 1Ti 4:4
Only you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood.
- every - Ex 21:12,28,29
- and at - Ge 4:9,10 Lev 19:16 Nu 35:31-33 De 21:1-9 Ps 9:12 Mt 23:35
- brother - Ac 17:26
Surely I will require your lifeblood; from every beast I will require it. And from every man, from every man's brother I will require the life of man.
- by - Ex 21:12-14 22:2,3 Lev 17:4 24:17 Nu 35:25 1Ki 2:5,6,28-34 Mt 26:52 Ro 13:4 Rev 13:10
- in - Ge 1:26,27 5:1 Ps 51:4 Jas 3:9
Whoever sheds man's blood, By man his blood shall be shed, For in the image of God He made man
- Ge 9:1,19 1:28 8:17
As for you, be fruitful and multiply; Populate the earth abundantly and multiply in it.
- Ge 9:11,17 6:18 17:7,8 22:17 Isa 54:9,10 Jer 31:35,36 33:20 Ro 1:3
Now behold, I Myself do establish My covenant with you, and with your descendants after you
- Ge 9:15,16 8:1 Job 38:1-41 41:1-34 Ps 36:5,6 145:9 Jon 4:11
and with every living creature that is with you, the birds, the cattle, and every beast of the earth with you; of all that comes out of the ark, even every beast of the earth
- And I - Ge 8:21,22 Isa 54:9
- neither shall all - Ge 7:21-23 8:21,22 2Pe 3:7,11
I establish My covenant with you; and all flesh shall never again be cut off by the water of the flood, neither shall there again be a flood to destroy the earth
- Ge 17:11 Ex 12:13 13:16 Jos 2:12 Mt 26:26-28 1Co 11:23-25
God said, "This is the sign of the covenant which I am making between Me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all successive generations
- Eze 1:28 Rev 4:3 10:1
I set My bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a sign of a covenant between Me and the earth
- remember - Ex 28:12 Lev 26:42-45 De 7:9 1Ki 8:23 Ne 9:32 Ps 106:45 Jer 14:21 Eze 16:60 Lu 1:72
- the waters - Isa 54:8-10
and I will remember My covenant, which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and never again shall the water become a flood to destroy all flesh
- everlasting - Ge 9:9-11 8:21,22 17:13,19 2Sa 23:5 Ps 89:3,4 Isa 54:8-10 55:3 Jer 32:40 Heb 13:20
When the bow is in the cloud, then I will look upon it, to remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth
- Shem - Ge 9:23 10:1 1Ch 1:4
- Ham - Ge 10:1,6
- Canaan - Heb. Chenaan
Now the sons of Noah who came out of the ark were Shem and Ham and Japheth; and Ham was the father of Canaan
- These - Ge 5:32
- and of - Ge 8:17 10:2-32 1Ch 1:4-28
These three were the sons of Noah, and from these the whole earth was populated
- an husbandman - Ge 3:18,19,23 4:2 5:29 Pr 10:11 12:11 Ec 5:9 Isa 28:24-26
- planted - De 20:6 28:30 Pr 24:30 Song 1:6 1Co 9:7
Then Noah began farming and planted a vineyard
- and was - Ge 6:9 19:32-36 Pr 20:1 23:31,32 Ec 7:20 Lu 22:3,4 Ro 13:13 1Co 10:12 Ga 5:21 Tit 2:2
- and he - Hab 2:15,16 Rev 3:18
He drank of the wine and became drunk, and uncovered himself inside his tent.
- Ham - Ge 9:25 10:6,15-19 1Ch 1:8,13-16
- told - 2Sa 1:19,20 Ps 35:20,21 40:15 70:3 Pr 25:9 30:17 Ob 1:12,13 Mt 18:15 1Co 13:6 Ga 6:1
Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brothers outside.
Genesis 9:23 But Shem and Japheth took a garment and laid it upon both their shoulders and walked backward and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were turned away, so that they did not see their father's nakedness.
- Ex 20:12 Lev 19:32 Ro 13:7 Ga 6:1 1Ti 5:1,17,19 1Pe 2:17 4:8
But Shem and Japheth took a garment and laid it upon both their shoulders and walked backward and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were turned away, so that they did not see their father's nakedness.
- Cursed - Ge 9:22 3:14 4:11 49:7 De 27:16 28:18 Mt 25:41 Joh 8:34
- a servant - The devoted nations, which God destroyed before Israel, were descended from Canaan: and so were the Phoenicians and Carthaginians, who were at length subjugated with dreadful destruction by the Greeks and Romans. The Africans, who have been bought and sold like beasts, were also his posterity. Jos 9:23,27 Jud 1:28-30 1Ki 9:20,21 2Ch 8:7,8 Joh 8:34
So he said, "Cursed be Canaan; A servant of servants He shall be to his brothers
- Blessed - De 33:26 Ps 144:15 Ro 9:5
- the Lord - Ge 10:10-26 12:1-3 Lu 3:23-36
- Shem - Heb 11:16
- his servant - or, servant to them, Ge 27:37,40
He also said, "Blessed be the LORD, The God of Shem; And let Canaan be his servant.
- enlarge - or, persuade
- Japheth - Japheth denotes enlargement, and how wonderfully have his boundaries been enlarged; for not only Europe, but Asia Minor, part of Armenia, Iberia, the whole of the vast regions of Asia north of Taurus, and probably America, fell to the share of his posterity.
- he shall dwell - These words may mean either that God or that Japheth shall dwell in the tents of Shem. In either sense the prophecy has been literally fulfilled.
- dwell - Isa 11:10 Ho 2:14 Mal 1:11 Ac 17:14 Ro 11:12 15:12 Eph 2:13,14,19 3:6,13 Heb 11:9,10
May God enlarge Japheth, And let him dwell in the tents of Shem; And let Canaan be his servant
- nine - Ge 5:5,20,27,32 11:11-25 Ps 90:10
So all the days of Noah were nine hundred and fifty years, and he died.