Click chart to enlarge
Charts from Jensen's Survey of the NT - used by permission
Another Chart from Charles Swindoll
CAVEAT: A number of the resources listed below interpret the events of Mt 24:15ff as prophecy which was fulfilled in the destruction of Jerusalem and the Holy by the Romans in 70 AD. Matthew 24:21 would seem to be a stumbling block to such an interpretation. Jesus said "For then (speaking of Mt 24:15-20+) there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever will." Note His qualifier "NOR EVER WILL." Jesus is describing a time in history that will never be repeated (if we interpret Him literally, which I do). That means the worst tribulation in the history of the world occurred in 70 AD! What about World War I? What about World War II when 85 million people were killed? But let's say we restrict the "great tribulation" to an event just affecting the Jews. To say that the killing of upwards to a million Jews in 70 AD is worse than the 8 million killed by Hitler in the Holocaust does not seem to fit with Jesus' teaching in Mt 24:21 "NOR EVER WILL." For more discussion see Matthew 24:21 Commentary All this to say BE A BEREAN when you read the comments (INCLUDING MINE!) on the eschatological passages, especially Matthew 24-25.
- Matthew 16:1-12 Insisting on Signs
- Matthew 16:13-17 The Blessed Confession
- Matthew 16:18 I Will Build My Church
- Matthew 16:19 Keys to the Kingdom of Heaven
- Matthew 16:20-23 By Way of the Cross
- Matthew 16:24-27 Come Along - and Don't Forget Your Cross!
- Matthew 16:28-17:1-9 A Preview of His Majesty
JOSEPH ADDISON ALEXANDER GOSPEL ACCORDING TO MATTHEW
Cyril Barber - Published posthumously in 1861 and covering (in detail) only chapters 1-16, this volume contains the same richness of thought and close attention to detail that is found in Alexander's other commentaries.
INDEX - Note that chapters 17-28 are only brief summaries.
MICHAEL ANDRUS - click link for audio and notes - click "Notes" for pdf
- Matthew 16:13-20 Who's Got the Keys to the Kingdom?
- Matthew 16:21-16:28 Salvation and Abundant Life through Cross-Bearing - Josh Black
Comment: I appreciate Barclay's unique insights on Greek words, but clearly his teaching about a "second chance" is NOT sound doctrine! Be an Acts 17:11 Berean with Barclay. See discussion of his orthodoxy especially the article "The Enigmatic William Barclay".
JOHANN A BENGEL
JIM BOMKAMP SERMONS MATTHEW
- Matthew 16:1-12 The Pharisees And Sadduccees Come Together To Ask Jesus To Show Them A Sign
- Matthew 16:13-20 Jesus Asks His Disciples Who They Think He Is,
- Matthew 16:24-17:9 Jesus Teaches That A Follower Must Take Up His Cross And Be Willing To Lose His Life
James Rosscup writes that "In many ways it is the finest and most satisfying overall older commentary on Matthew. It helps the student on almost every verse. Broadus deals frontally with problems and gives much rich material that throws light on the text. His citations from other sources are often very helpful. From the standpoint of the Greek text, he is also sound. This 1886 work, long a part of the American Commentary on the New Testament series, is still one of the best in detailed explanation of the text where it counts." (Ibid)
Rosscup rates this as the #2 best detailed exegetical commentary on Matthew.
Cyril Barber - Very complete. Tackles interpretative problems honestly. Provides "Homiletical and Practical" suggestions for preachers. Adopts an amillennial interpretation of Christ's parables and teaching about the Kingdom. Valuable.
D Edmond Hiebert - One of the ablest American commentaries on Matthew from the past century and still valuable for the systematic interpretation of the gospel. It is the work of an accomplished conservative scholar.
Note: Broadus does interpret Mt 24:15 as fulfilled in 70AD.
- Matthew 16:13-16 Is That Your Final Answer?
- Matthew 16:13-16 Who Is Jesus To You?
- Matthew 16:21-24 How To Experience The Heart Of Real Christianity
- Matthew 16 Commentary - Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges
- Matthew 16 Commentary - Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges - more Greek text
- Matthew 16:13-18 The True New Testament Church
- Matthew 16:16 The Great (Confirmed) Confession
- Matthew 16:27 Final Rewards-In Hell or Heaven
- Matthew 16:1-3 Signs of the Times
- Matthew 16:3 The Signs of the Times
- Matthew 16:13-18 The Church of the Living God
- Matthew 16:18 The Church That Jesus Built
- Matthew 16:16 The Great Confession
- Matthew 16:21-28 The Christ of the Cross
RON DANIEL - Sermon Notes
- Matthew 16:1-12 More of Jesus' Kingdom Miracles and Teaching, Part 8: A Warning against False Teaching
- Matthew 16:13-20 The Confession and the Cross of the Kingdom, Part 1: The Confession of the Kingdom
- Matthew 16:21-23 The Confession and the Cross of the Kingdom, Part 2: The Necessity of the Cross
- Matthew 16:24-28 The Confession and the Cross of the Kingdom, Part 3: The Essence of the Kingdom
- Matthew 16:24-26 What It Means to Be a Member of FPC - The Five Questions of Membership (3)
CHARLES ELLICOTT (editor) - Edward H Plumptre - author of Matthew
CHARLES R ERDMAN
D Edmond Hiebert A well-outlined paragraph-by-paragraph interpretation by a noted conservative Presbyterian teacher and writer. Intended for the lay reader. His understanding of the Olivet Discourse is premillennial.
This commentary is easy to read often with a devotional flavor.
EXPLORE THE BIBLE
EXPOSITOR'S BIBLE COMMENTARY - John Gibson
EXPOSITOR'S DICTIONARY OF TEXTS - excerpts from other sermons
EXPOSITOR'S GREEK TESTAMENT - A B Bruce
D Edmond Hiebert - Greek text. Provides introductory material on the synoptics in relation to each other and individually. The notes provide many illuminating insights for the Greek student. Due to its age, it does not reflect the latest insights concerning the Greek.
GENE GETZ - 10+/- minute videos emphazing principles in each section of Scripture
- Matthew; Principle #40; Mt. 16:1-12; p. 1315 False Teachers: We are to be on guard against being led astray by anyone who teaches false doctrine. Video
- Matthew; Principle #41; Mt. 16:13-23; Satanic Influences: Even if our belief in Christ's deity is accurate, we are still to be on guard against Satan's efforts to influence our thinking and actions. Video
- Matthew; Principle #42; Mt. 16:24-17:13; Serving Faithfully: Even though we may have unanswered questions, we should serve Jesus Christ faithfully until He comes again. Video
GOTQUESTIONS GOSPEL OF MATTHEW
- Gospel of Matthew - Bible Survey
- Mt 10:2-4 Who were the twelve disciples / apostles of Jesus Christ?
- Mt 10:5-6, 15:24 Did Jesus come only for the Jews and not the Gentiles?
- Mt 10:14 What does it mean to shake the dust off your feet?
- Mt 10:16 What does it mean to be wise as serpents and harmless as doves?
- Mt 10:34-36 What did Jesus mean by coming to bring a sword?
- Mt 11:11 In what way was John the Baptist the greatest?
- Mt 11:15, 13:9, 43 What did Jesus mean when He said, “He who has ears to hear”?
- Mt 11:30 What does it mean when Jesus says “my yoke is easy and my burden is light”?
- Mt 12:8 What does it mean that Jesus is the Lord of the Sabbath?
- Mt 12:13-21 What is the meaning of the Parable of the Rich Fool?
- Mt 12:25, 26 What does it mean that a house divided cannot stand?
- Mt 12:36 What are idle words?
- Mt 12:38-41 What is the sign of Jonah?
- Mt 12:42 Who was the Queen of the South?
- Mt 13:3, 10, 13, 18, 24, 31, 33, 34-36 Why did Jesus teach in parables?
- Mt 13:31-32 What is the meaning of the Parable of the Mustard Seed?
- Mt 13:33 What is the meaning of the Parable of the Leaven?
- Mt 13:36-43 What is the Parable of the Wheat and the Tares?
- Mt 13:44, 45-46 - What is the meaning of the parables of the hidden treasure and the pearl of great price?
- Mt 13:47 What is the meaning of the Parable of the Dragnet?
- Mt 14:15-34 What can we learn from Jesus’ feeding of the 5,000?
- Mt 14:25 What was the meaning of Jesus walking on water?
- Mt 15:22-27 Why did Jesus call the Canaanite woman a dog?
- Mt 15:24 Why did Jesus say that He was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel?
- Mt 16:18 - What are the gates of hell?
- Mt 16:19 What are the keys of the kingdom?
- Mt 16:23, Mk 8:33 - Why did Jesus say to Peter, “Get behind me Satan”?
- Mt 16:26 - What does it mean to love your neighbor as you love yourself?
- Mt 16:28 - Was Jesus' statement to the disciples in Luke 9:27 (Mk 9:1) incorrect?
- Mt 17:1-8, Mk 9:2-8, Lk 9:28-36 - What was the meaning and importance of the transfiguration?
- Mt 17:14-20 What does it mean to have mustard seed faith?
- Mt 17:20 - Can faith really move mountains?
- Mt 17:24-27 - What is the temple tax?
- Mt 18:15-17 How should Christians handle disputes?
- Mt 18:21,22 - What did Jesus mean when He said that we should forgive others seventy times seven?
- Mt 18:23-35 What is the meaning of the Parable of the Unforgiving / Unmerciful Servant?
- Mt 19:14 Why did Jesus say, “Let the little children come to me”?
- Mt 19:16-29, 30 - What did Jesus mean when He said the first will be last and the last will be first?
- Mt 19:16, 17-23 - Why did Jesus tell the rich young ruler he could be saved by obeying the commandments?
- Mt 19:24 What does it mean it is easier for a camel to go thru the eye of a needle than for a rich man to go to heaven?
- Mt 20:1-16, 19:27 - What is the meaning of the Parable of the Laborers in the Vineyard?
- Mt 20:29-34, Mk 10:46-52, Lk 18:35-43 - Did Jesus heal two blind men (Matthew) or one blind man (Mark, Luke)?
- Mt 21:1-17, Mk 11:1-11, Lk 19:29-40, Jn 12:12-19 - What is the significance of the triumphal entry?
- Mt 21:23-44 Why is Jesus called the stumbling stone?
- Mt 22:1-14, cp Lk 14:15-24 - What is the meaning of the Parable of the Wedding Feast?
- Mt 21:12, Mk 11:15ff, Lk 19:45ff, Jn 2:13ff How many times did Jesus cleanse the temple and why?
- Mt 21:13 What does it mean that the house of prayer had been turned into a den of thieves?
- Mt 21:28-32 What is the meaning of the Parable of the Two Sons?
- Mt 21:33-46, Mk 12:1-12, Lk 20:9-19 - What is the meaning of the Parable of the Vineyard?
- Mt 22:13 What is the outer darkness?
- Mt 22:14 - What does “Many are called but few are chosen” mean?
- Mt 22:21 - What did Jesus mean when He said, “Render to Caesar what is Caesar’s”?
- Mt 22:34-40, 38 - What is the greatest commandment?
- Mt 22:37-40 - What does it mean to gain the whole world but lose your soul?
- Mt 23:9 - Did Jesus mean that we should never refer to our earthly father as “father”?
- Mt 23:13-36 - Why did Jesus rebuke the scribes and Pharisees so harshly?
- Mt 23:15 - Why did Jesus refer to the Pharisees as a “child of hell”?
- Mt 24:1-25:46 - What happened on the Mount of Olives?
- Mt 24:1-25:46 What is the Olivet Discourse?
- Mt 24:34, Mk 13:30, Lk 21:34 - What did Jesus mean when He said, "this generation will not pass"?
- Mt 24:35 - What does it mean that heaven and earth will pass away?
- Mt 24:36, Mk 13:32 - If Jesus was God, why did He not know when He would return?
- Mt 24:36-44 Is it possible to know when Jesus is coming back?
- Mt 25:1-13 What is the meaning of the Parable of the Ten Virgins?
- Mt 25:14-30 What is the meaning of the Parable of the Talents?
- Mt 25:31-46 What is the meaning of the Parable of the Sheep and Goats?
- Mt 25:40, 31-46 - Who are the "least of these" in the Bible?
- Mt 26:1–29, Mk 14:12–25, Lk 22:7–20, Jn 13:1–38 - What happened in the upper room?
- Mt 26:7 - What is an alabaster box?
- Mt 26:41 - What does it mean to watch and pray?
- Mt 26:41 - What does it mean that the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak?
- Mt 26:52 - What does it mean to live by the sword and die by the sword?
- Mt 26:26-29, et al - What happened during Jesus’ last hours on earth?
- Mt 26:57, etal - What trials did Jesus face before His crucifixion?
- Mt 26:69-74, Mk 14:66-72, Lk 22:55-62, Jn 18:15-18, 25-27 - What was the reason behind Peter's denial of Jesus?
- Mt 27:25 - Are the Jews cursed because they killed Christ and asked for “His blood to be on us"?
- Mt 27:32; Mk 15:21; Lk 23:26, cp Jn 19:17 - Who helped Jesus carry the cross?
- Mt 27:46, et al - What are the last seven sayings of Christ and what do they mean?
- Mt 27:46, Mk 15:34 - If Jesus was God, why did He call God "My God?"
- Mt 27:46 - Why did Jesus say, 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me'?
- Mt 27:52, 53 - What is the meaning of those who were raised to life at Jesus’ death (Matthew 27:52-53)?
- Mt 28:19, Acts 2:38 - Should we be baptized in Jesus' name, or in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit?
SCOTT GRANT -
HOLMAN STUDY - Open>select "gear" symbol right upper page>select "Synch>enter Scripture
- Matthew Notes - well done notes
DAVID HOLWICK - frequent illustrations
JAMES HASTINGS Matthew - Great Texts of the Bible
- Matthew 16:18 My Church
- Matthew 16:19 The Keys of the Kingdom
- Matthew 16:24 The Cost of Discipleship
- Not Futuristic
Tim Challies: Keener’s work receives high recommendations and significant warnings about the limits of its usefulness.
Futuristic on Matthew 24-25
- Matthew 16:13-19 Is Peter the Rock?
- Matthew 16:13-20,18:15-20 The Keys of the Kingdom of God
- Matthew 16:21-23 The Proclamation of the Passion
- Matthew 16:24-28 Jesus on How to Find It
- Matthew 16:28-17:8 The Transfiguration of Christ
- 22. The Church That Jesus Built Matthew 16:13-19
- 23. The Absolute Necessity of the Cross Matthew 16:21-23
- 24. Don't Forget Your Cross Matthew 16:24-26
STEVE KRELOFF - Messianic Pastor
Futuristic on Matthew 24-25
- Matthew 16:1-4 Dealing with Spiritual Blindness 1
- Matthew 16:5-12 Dealing with Spiritual Blindness 2
- Matthew 16:13-17: The Supreme Confession
- Matthew 16:13-17: The Supreme Confession - Study Guide - click dropdown
- Matthew 16:13-28: 7 Foundational Elements of a True Church, Part 1
- Matthew 16:13-28: 7 Foundational Elements of a True Church, Part 2
- Matthew 16:18-20: The Church that Christ Builds 1
- Matthew 16:18-20: The Church that Christ Builds 1 - Study Guide - click dropdown
- Matthew 16:18-20: The Church that Christ Builds 2
- Matthew 16:18-20: The Church that Christ Builds 2 - Study Guide - click dropdown
- Matthew 16:21-23: Offending Christ
- Matthew 16:21-23: Offending Christ - Study Guide - click dropdown
- Matthew 16:24-27: Winning by Losing - The Paradox of Discipleship - Study Guide - click dropdown
- Matthew 16:24-27: Winning by Losing
- Matthew 16:27-28: Preview of Second Coming 1 - Study Guide - click dropdown
- Matthew 16:27-28: Preview of Second Coming 1
- Matthew 16 Peter, the Rock of the Church
- Matthew 16 Upon this Rock I Will Build My Church
- Matthew 16 Binding and Loosing Satan, Sin, or Sinners?
- Matthew 16 How to Take Up Your Cross?
- Matthew 18 Do Believers Have Guardian Angels?
- Matthew 16:13-28 The Divine Christ Confessed, the Suffering Christ Denied
- Matthew 16:21 Christ Foreseeing the Cross
J VERNON MCGEE
JAMES MCCULLEN - sermons
- Matthew 16:13-19 The Church Jesus Started.
- Matthew 16:13-18 The Church Jesus Started Matthew
- Matthew 16:21-28 When Christians Think Like the Devil
HEINRICH A MEYER - Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament
Hiebert - The prince of biblical expositors covers the entire gospel in a series of seventy-three biblical expositions. This volume on Matthew is the best of his expository volumes on the four gospels. Does not deal with critical introductory problems. The volume requires careful and intent reading, and offers many rich spiritual insights into Matthew's gospel.
Hiebert comments on "A Practical Commentary on the Gospel According to St. Matthew" (1895) - The lengthy introduction covers critical problems and supports traditional Matthean authorship. This volume of some 650 closely printed pages offers a thorough interpretation by an accomplished conservative scholar of the previous century. It shows wide acquaintance with the scholarly work on the gospel to his day. (Ed: His comments are verse by verse, phrase by phrase, often with a devotional "flavor.")
HENRY MORRIS - Defender's Study Bible study notes - well-done, conservative
NET BIBLE NOTES - short notes including notes on passages where there is a variation in the manuscripts used for translation. Futuristic
- Matthew 16:1-12 Discerning the Times
- Matthew 16:13-20 The Rock of Revelation
- Matthew 16:21-23 God's Interests or Man's?
- Matthew 16:24-28 When Losing is Finding
- Matthew 16:24-28 A Disciple and His Cross
JAMES NISBET - Church Pulpit Commentary
- Matthew 16 - multiple on one page
- Matthew 16:13-20
- Matthew 16:13-17
- Matthew 16:16
- Matthew 16:18
- Matthew 16:18
- Matthew 16:21-28
- Matthew 16:24
- Matthew 16:24-28
- Matthew 16:24-28
- Matthew 16:24-28
- Matthew 16:25
- Matthew 16:25
- Matthew 16:26
- Matthew 16:26
- Matthew 16:26
- Matthew 16:26
- Matthew 16:27
- Matthew 16:13-18 The Invisible Church - Franklin L. Kirksey
- Matthew 16:13-19 I Love My Church - It Shall Succeed! - Curtis Kelly
- Matthew 16:13-20 Three Great Lessons from the Master Teacher - Paul E. Brown
- Matthew 16:15-16 Conclusions Concerning Christ - Donnie L. Martin
- Matthew 16:17-19 The Local Church is the Hope of the World - Jerry N. Watts
- Matthew 16:18 Never Say Die Church - Alan Stewart
- Matthew 16:24 The Cross You Bear - Johnny L. Sanders
- Matthew 16:24-27 The Terms of Gains, Losses, and Exchanges - Vince Hefner
- Matthew 16:13-20: Preparing to Receive Christ
- Matthew 16:13-26: I Will Build My Church from All Peoples
- Matthew 16:13-26: I Will Build My Church
- Upon This Rock (Matthew 16:18)
- The Keys Of The Kingdom (Matthew 16:19)
- Whom Do Men Say That I Am? (Matthew 16:13-17)
- The Gates Of Hell Shall Not Prevail (Matthew 16:18)
- Who is Jesus Christ? (Matthew 16:13-16)
- How Good Christians Sometimes Do the Devil’s Work (Matthew 16:21-23)
- God Has a Big Family—Part 1 “I Believe in the Holy Catholic Church” (Matthew 16:18)
- Who Do Men Say That I Am? (Matthew 16:13-17)
- Solus Christus: By Christ Alone (Matthew 16:13-18)
- Matthew 16:1-12 The Church’s Greatest Peril
- Matthew 16:13-20 Living in the Prospect of Victory
- Matthew 16:21-28 Christ’s Cross and Ours
DON ROBINSON - transcripts, conservative
- Who Needs the Church? - Matthew 16:13-18
- What God Wants GBT To Be - Matthew 16:13-18
- Some Things that Haven’t Changed - Matt. 16:18
- What is My Role in the Church? - Matthew 16:18
- Article XIII: The Local Church - Matthew 16:18
- Gates of Hell Shall Not Prevail - Matthew 16:18
- If Any Man Will Follow Me - Matthew 16:21-26
- Three Stages of Rejection - Matthew 16:24-27
- A Question of Profit - Matthew 16:26
- Is There Any Profit? - Matthew 16:26
- The Coming Kingdom of God - 60 page booklet (futuristic)
- To Earth With Love - 23 pages
- Willing to Pay the Price (discipleship) - 15 pages
- Matthew - Divorce on Trial - 25 pages
- Matthew 16:1-12 The Danger of False Teachers
- Matthew 16:13-20 The Program of Christ
- Matthew 16:21-28 The Cross Then the Crown
J C RYLE
C H SPURGEON
- Matthew 16 Commentary
- Matthew 16:13-17 Jesus Known by Personal Revelation
- Matthew 16:28 An Awful Premonition
C H SPURGEON - EXPOSITION TO THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO MATTHEW
Not Futuristic on Mt 24-25 See Commentary on Matthew in Pdf
SPURGEON'S EXPOSITIONS ON Matthew Commentary
NOTE: This is a different set of expository notes
DON STEWART - 385 pages (1997)
THIRD MILLENNIUM STUDY NOTES MATTHEW
- A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a miraculous sign - Matthew 16:1-4
- Yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees - Matthew 16:5-12
- Who do you say I am? - Matthew 16:13-20
- The Church: Visible and Invisible: Is Everyone in the Church Saved?
- Get behind me, Satan! - Matthew 16:21-28
TODAY IN THE WORD - Devotionals often with good sermon illustrations