Click chart to enlarge
Charts from Jensen's Survey of the NT - used by permission
Another Chart from Charles Swindoll
CAVEAT: A number of the resources listed below interpret the events of Mt 24:15ff as prophecy which was fulfilled in the destruction of Jerusalem and the Holy by the Romans in 70 AD. Matthew 24:21 would seem to be a stumbling block to such an interpretation. Jesus said "For then (speaking of Mt 24:15-20+) there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever will." Note His qualifier "NOR EVER WILL." Jesus is describing a time in history that will never be repeated (if we interpret Him literally, which I do). That means the worst tribulation in the history of the world occurred in 70 AD! What about World War I? What about World War II when 85 million people were killed? But let's say we restrict the "great tribulation" to an event just affecting the Jews. To say that the killing of upwards to a million Jews in 70 AD is worse than the 8 million killed by Hitler in the Holocaust does not seem to fit with Jesus' teaching in Mt 24:21 "NOR EVER WILL." For more discussion see Matthew 24:21 Commentary All this to say BE A BEREAN when you read the comments (INCLUDING MINE!) on the eschatological passages, especially Matthew 24-25.
- Matthew 22:1-14 The Great Wedding Invitation
- Matthew 22:15-22 The Things That Are God's
- Matthew 22:23-33 Giving an Answer to Unbelief
- Matthew 22:23-33 The Great Commandment
- Matthew 22:34-40 The "Big Idea" of the Law
- Matthew 22:41-46 The Greatest Question of All
JOSEPH ADDISON ALEXANDER GOSPEL ACCORDING TO MATTHEW
Cyril Barber - Published posthumously in 1861 and covering (in detail) only chapters 1-16, this volume contains the same richness of thought and close attention to detail that is found in Alexander's other commentaries.
INDEX - Note that chapters 17-28 are only brief summaries.
MICHAEL ANDRUS - click link for audio and notes - click "Notes" for pdf
- Matthew 22:1-22:14 Are You Coming to the Wedding? Phil Thengvall
- Matthew 22:15-22:22 Paying Taxes to Caesar
- Matthew 22:23-22:33 What Will Family Relationships Be Like in Heaven?
- Matthew 22:34-22:46 The Greatest Commandment
Comment: I appreciate Barclay's unique insights on Greek words, but clearly his teaching about a "second chance" is NOT sound doctrine! Be an Acts 17:11 Berean with Barclay. See discussion of his orthodoxy especially the article "The Enigmatic William Barclay".
JOHANN A BENGEL
BRIAN BILL Sermons on Matthew
JIM BOMKAMP SERMONS MATTHEW
- Matthew 22:1-14 Jesus Teaches His Disciples The Parable About The Wedding Feast
- Matthew 22:15-32 The Pharisees, Sadduccees, And Herodians Ask Jesus Test Questions To Try And Trap Him
- Matthew 22:33-46 The Pharisees Test Jesus Asking Him What The Greatest Commandment
James Rosscup writes that "In many ways it is the finest and most satisfying overall older commentary on Matthew. It helps the student on almost every verse. Broadus deals frontally with problems and gives much rich material that throws light on the text. His citations from other sources are often very helpful. From the standpoint of the Greek text, he is also sound. This 1886 work, long a part of the American Commentary on the New Testament series, is still one of the best in detailed explanation of the text where it counts." (Ibid)
Rosscup rates this as the #2 best detailed exegetical commentary on Matthew.
Cyril Barber - Very complete. Tackles interpretative problems honestly. Provides "Homiletical and Practical" suggestions for preachers. Adopts an amillennial interpretation of Christ's parables and teaching about the Kingdom. Valuable.
D Edmond Hiebert - One of the ablest American commentaries on Matthew from the past century and still valuable for the systematic interpretation of the gospel. It is the work of an accomplished conservative scholar.
Note: Broadus does interpret Mt 24:15 as fulfilled in 70AD.
- Matthew 22 Commentary - Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges
- Matthew 22 Commentary - Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges - more Greek text
- Matthew 22:15-22 Christ and Politics
- Matthew 22:11-13 The Garments of the Believer
- Matthew 22:1-13 The Wedding Garment
- Matthew 22:21 Practical Application of Faith
- Matthew 22:15-22 Dr. Truett and American Freedom
RON DANIEL - Sermon Notes
- Matthew 22:1-14 A Foreshadowing of Judgment, Part 7: Parables Against the Pharisees, Part 3: The Marriage Feast
- Matthew 22:15-22 Christ Confounds with the Word of the Kingdom, Part 1: Render to Caesar
- Matthew 22:23-33 Christ Confounds with the Word of the Kingdom, Part 2: Not Knowing the Scriptures
- Matthew 22:34-40 Christ Confounds with the Word of the Kingdom, Part 3: The Great Commandment
- Matthew 22:41-46; 26:59-64 I Believe in Jesus Christ Who Sitteth On the Right Hand of God
- Matthew 22:41-46 Christ Confounds with the Word of the Kingdom, Part 4: How is David's Son, David's Lord?
CHARLES ELLICOTT (editor) - Edward H Plumptre - author of Matthew
CHARLES R ERDMAN
D Edmond Hiebert A well-outlined paragraph-by-paragraph interpretation by a noted conservative Presbyterian teacher and writer. Intended for the lay reader. His understanding of the Olivet Discourse is premillennial.
This commentary is easy to read often with a devotional flavor.
EXPLORE THE BIBLE
EXPOSITOR'S BIBLE COMMENTARY - John Gibson
EXPOSITOR'S DICTIONARY OF TEXTS - excerpts from other sermons
EXPOSITOR'S GREEK TESTAMENT - A B Bruce
D Edmond Hiebert - Greek text. Provides introductory material on the synoptics in relation to each other and individually. The notes provide many illuminating insights for the Greek student. Due to its age, it does not reflect the latest insights concerning the Greek.
GENE GETZ - 10+/- minute videos emphazing principles in each section of Scripture
- Matthew; Principle #50; Mt. 22:15-46; Divine Wisdom: When communicating with people who are attempting to advance Satan's agenda, we should seek to respond with divine wisdom in order to avoid arguments. Video
GOTQUESTIONS GOSPEL OF MATTHEW
- Gospel of Matthew - Bible Survey
- Mt 10:2-4 Who were the twelve disciples / apostles of Jesus Christ?
- Mt 10:5-6, 15:24 Did Jesus come only for the Jews and not the Gentiles?
- Mt 10:14 What does it mean to shake the dust off your feet?
- Mt 10:16 What does it mean to be wise as serpents and harmless as doves?
- Mt 10:34-36 What did Jesus mean by coming to bring a sword?
- Mt 11:11 In what way was John the Baptist the greatest?
- Mt 11:15, 13:9, 43 What did Jesus mean when He said, “He who has ears to hear”?
- Mt 11:30 What does it mean when Jesus says “my yoke is easy and my burden is light”?
- Mt 12:8 What does it mean that Jesus is the Lord of the Sabbath?
- Mt 12:13-21 What is the meaning of the Parable of the Rich Fool?
- Mt 12:25, 26 What does it mean that a house divided cannot stand?
- Mt 12:36 What are idle words?
- Mt 12:38-41 What is the sign of Jonah?
- Mt 12:42 Who was the Queen of the South?
- Mt 13:3, 10, 13, 18, 24, 31, 33, 34-36 Why did Jesus teach in parables?
- Mt 13:31-32 What is the meaning of the Parable of the Mustard Seed?
- Mt 13:33 What is the meaning of the Parable of the Leaven?
- Mt 13:36-43 What is the Parable of the Wheat and the Tares?
- Mt 13:44, 45-46 - What is the meaning of the parables of the hidden treasure and the pearl of great price?
- Mt 13:47 What is the meaning of the Parable of the Dragnet?
- Mt 14:15-34 What can we learn from Jesus’ feeding of the 5,000?
- Mt 14:25 What was the meaning of Jesus walking on water?
- Mt 15:22-27 Why did Jesus call the Canaanite woman a dog?
- Mt 15:24 Why did Jesus say that He was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel?
- Mt 16:18 - What are the gates of hell?
- Mt 16:19 What are the keys of the kingdom?
- Mt 16:23, Mk 8:33 - Why did Jesus say to Peter, “Get behind me Satan”?
- Mt 16:26 - What does it mean to love your neighbor as you love yourself?
- Mt 16:28 - Was Jesus' statement to the disciples in Luke 9:27 (Mk 9:1) incorrect?
- Mt 17:1-8, Mk 9:2-8, Lk 9:28-36 - What was the meaning and importance of the transfiguration?
- Mt 17:14-20 What does it mean to have mustard seed faith?
- Mt 17:20 - Can faith really move mountains?
- Mt 17:24-27 - What is the temple tax?
- Mt 18:15-17 How should Christians handle disputes?
- Mt 18:21,22 - What did Jesus mean when He said that we should forgive others seventy times seven?
- Mt 18:23-35 What is the meaning of the Parable of the Unforgiving / Unmerciful Servant?
- Mt 19:14 Why did Jesus say, “Let the little children come to me”?
- Mt 19:16-29, 30 - What did Jesus mean when He said the first will be last and the last will be first?
- Mt 19:16, 17-23 - Why did Jesus tell the rich young ruler he could be saved by obeying the commandments?
- Mt 19:24 What does it mean it is easier for a camel to go thru the eye of a needle than for a rich man to go to heaven?
- Mt 20:1-16, 19:27 - What is the meaning of the Parable of the Laborers in the Vineyard?
- Mt 20:29-34, Mk 10:46-52, Lk 18:35-43 - Did Jesus heal two blind men (Matthew) or one blind man (Mark, Luke)?
- Mt 21:1-17, Mk 11:1-11, Lk 19:29-40, Jn 12:12-19 - What is the significance of the triumphal entry?
- Mt 21:23-44 Why is Jesus called the stumbling stone?
- Mt 22:1-14, cp Lk 14:15-24 - What is the meaning of the Parable of the Wedding Feast?
- Mt 21:12, Mk 11:15ff, Lk 19:45ff, Jn 2:13ff How many times did Jesus cleanse the temple and why?
- Mt 21:13 What does it mean that the house of prayer had been turned into a den of thieves?
- Mt 21:28-32 What is the meaning of the Parable of the Two Sons?
- Mt 21:33-46, Mk 12:1-12, Lk 20:9-19 - What is the meaning of the Parable of the Vineyard?
- Mt 22:13 What is the outer darkness?
- Mt 22:14 - What does “Many are called but few are chosen” mean?
- Mt 22:21 - What did Jesus mean when He said, “Render to Caesar what is Caesar’s”?
- Mt 22:34-40, 38 - What is the greatest commandment?
- Mt 22:37-40 - What does it mean to gain the whole world but lose your soul?
- Mt 23:9 - Did Jesus mean that we should never refer to our earthly father as “father”?
- Mt 23:13-36 - Why did Jesus rebuke the scribes and Pharisees so harshly?
- Mt 23:15 - Why did Jesus refer to the Pharisees as a “child of hell”?
- Mt 24:1-25:46 - What happened on the Mount of Olives?
- Mt 24:1-25:46 What is the Olivet Discourse?
- Mt 24:34, Mk 13:30, Lk 21:34 - What did Jesus mean when He said, "this generation will not pass"?
- Mt 24:35 - What does it mean that heaven and earth will pass away?
- Mt 24:36, Mk 13:32 - If Jesus was God, why did He not know when He would return?
- Mt 24:36-44 Is it possible to know when Jesus is coming back?
- Mt 25:1-13 What is the meaning of the Parable of the Ten Virgins?
- Mt 25:14-30 What is the meaning of the Parable of the Talents?
- Mt 25:31-46 What is the meaning of the Parable of the Sheep and Goats?
- Mt 25:40, 31-46 - Who are the "least of these" in the Bible?
- Mt 26:1–29, Mk 14:12–25, Lk 22:7–20, Jn 13:1–38 - What happened in the upper room?
- Mt 26:7 - What is an alabaster box?
- Mt 26:41 - What does it mean to watch and pray?
- Mt 26:41 - What does it mean that the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak?
- Mt 26:52 - What does it mean to live by the sword and die by the sword?
- Mt 26:26-29, et al - What happened during Jesus’ last hours on earth?
- Mt 26:57, etal - What trials did Jesus face before His crucifixion?
- Mt 26:69-74, Mk 14:66-72, Lk 22:55-62, Jn 18:15-18, 25-27 - What was the reason behind Peter's denial of Jesus?
- Mt 27:25 - Are the Jews cursed because they killed Christ and asked for “His blood to be on us"?
- Mt 27:32; Mk 15:21; Lk 23:26, cp Jn 19:17 - Who helped Jesus carry the cross?
- Mt 27:46, et al - What are the last seven sayings of Christ and what do they mean?
- Mt 27:46, Mk 15:34 - If Jesus was God, why did He call God "My God?"
- Mt 27:46 - Why did Jesus say, 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me'?
- Mt 27:52, 53 - What is the meaning of those who were raised to life at Jesus’ death (Matthew 27:52-53)?
- Mt 28:19, Acts 2:38 - Should we be baptized in Jesus' name, or in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit?
HOLMAN STUDY - Open>select "gear" symbol right upper page>select "Synch>enter Scripture
- Matthew Notes - well done notes
DAVID HOLWICK - frequent illustrations
- Not Futuristic
Tim Challies: Keener’s work receives high recommendations and significant warnings about the limits of its usefulness.
Futuristic on Matthew 24-25
- Matthew 22:1-14 The Parable of the Marriage Feast
- Matthew 22:15-40 Christ’s Answers to Carping Questions
- Matthew 22:41-46 The Cardinal Question of the Day of Questions
- 41. The Greatest Commandment Matthew 22:34-40
STEVE KRELOFF - Messianic Pastor
Futuristic on Matthew 24-25
- Matthew 22:1-14 Responding To A Invitation
- Matthew 22:15-22: Our Obligation to God/Government
- Matthew 22:15-22: Our Obligation to God/Government- Study Guide - click dropdown
- Matthew 22:23-33: The God of the Living - Study Guide - click dropdown
- Matthew 22:23-33: The God of the Living
- Matthew 22:34-40: The Great Commandment - Study Guide - click dropdown
- Matthew 22:34-40: The Great Commandment
- Matthew 22:41-46: Whose Son is Christ? - Study Guide - click dropdown
- Matthew 22:41-46: Whose Son is Christ?
- Matthew 22:1-14 Two Ways of Despising God’s Feast
- Matthew 22:34-46 The Tables Turned: the Questioners Questioned
J VERNON MCGEE
JAMES MCCULLEN - sermons
HEINRICH A MEYER - Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament
Hiebert - The prince of biblical expositors covers the entire gospel in a series of seventy-three biblical expositions. This volume on Matthew is the best of his expository volumes on the four gospels. Does not deal with critical introductory problems. The volume requires careful and intent reading, and offers many rich spiritual insights into Matthew's gospel.
Hiebert comments on "A Practical Commentary on the Gospel According to St. Matthew" (1895) - The lengthy introduction covers critical problems and supports traditional Matthean authorship. This volume of some 650 closely printed pages offers a thorough interpretation by an accomplished conservative scholar of the previous century. It shows wide acquaintance with the scholarly work on the gospel to his day. (Ed: His comments are verse by verse, phrase by phrase, often with a devotional "flavor.")
HENRY MORRIS - Defender's Study Bible study notes - well-done, conservative
NET BIBLE NOTES - short notes including notes on passages where there is a variation in the manuscripts used for translation. Futuristic
- Matthew 22:1-14 The King's Invitation
- Matthew 22:15-22 God and Government
- Matthew 22:23-33 Don't Mistake God
- Matthew 22:34-40 The Great Commandment
- Matthew 22:41-46 Who is Jesus Christ?
JAMES NISBET - Church Pulpit Commentary
- Matthew 22 - multiple on one page
- Matthew 22:1-10
- Matthew 22:15-22
- Matthew 22:23-33
- Matthew 22:34-40
- Matthew 22:34-40
- Matthew 22:37
- Matthew 22:37
- Matthew 22:37
- Matthew 22:37-40
- Matthew 22:37-40
- Matthew 22:39
- Matthew 22:13-15 Children - An Example To Adults - Parents - Johnny Hunt
- Matthew 22:36-40 Living in Love - J. Mike Minnix
- Matthew 22:34-40 Love Your Neighbor as Yourself, Part 1
- Matthew 22:34-40 Love Your Neighbor as Yourself, Part 2
- Matthew 21:33-46 The Parable of the Tenants
- Matthew 22:1-14 The Wedding Banquet
- Matthew 22:15-22 The Christian and the State
- Matthew 22:23-33 No Marriage in Heaven
- Matthew 22:34-46 The Deity of Jesus Christ
DON ROBINSON - transcripts, conservative
- Baptist Distinctives: The Autonomy of the Local Church - Matthew 22:17-21
- Commitment - Matthew 22:36-38
- The Coming Kingdom of God - 60 page booklet (futuristic)
- To Earth With Love - 23 pages
- Willing to Pay the Price (discipleship) - 15 pages
- Matthew - Divorce on Trial - 25 pages
J C RYLE
JAMES SMITH SERMON OUTLINES GOSPEL OF MATTHEW
- The Marriage Feast Matthew 22:1-14
C H SPURGEON
- Matthew 22 Commentary
- Matthew 22:2-4: The Parable of the Wedding Feast
- Matthew 22:5: Making Light of Christ
- Matthew 22:8-10- Guests for the Wedding Feast - Sermon Notes
- Matthew 22:10 The Wedding Was Furnished with Guests
- Matthew 22:11-13 What is the Wedding Garment?
- Matthew 22:11-14: The Wedding Garment
- Matthew 22:30 The Angelic Life
- Matthew 22:42 Questions of the Day and THE Question of the Day
C H SPURGEON - Devotionals
C H SPURGEON - EXPOSITION TO THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO MATTHEW
Not Futuristic on Mt 24-25 See Commentary on Matthew in Pdf
SPURGEON'S EXPOSITIONS ON Matthew Commentary
NOTE: This is a different set of expository notes
DON STEWART - 385 pages (1997)
THIRD MILLENNIUM STUDY NOTES MATTHEW
- Parable of wedding feast - Matthew 22:1-14
- Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's - Matthew 22:15-22
- At the resurrection people will neither marry - Matthew 22:23-33
- Which is the greatest commandment in the Law? - Matthew 22:34-40
- The Lord said to my Lord - Matthew 22:41-46
TODAY IN THE WORD - Devotionals often with good sermon illustrations
DANIEL B WALLACE