1 CORINTHIANS - PROBLEMS OF A LOCAL CHURCH
Click chart to enlarge
Charts from Jensen's Survey of the NT - used by permission
- Baker Evangelical Dictionary Corinthians, First and Second, Theology
- Easton's Bible Dictionary Corinthians, First Epistle to the
- Fausset Bible Dictionary Corinthians, the Epistles to the
- Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible Corinthians, First Epistle to the; Second Epistle
- International Standard Bible Encyclopedia Corinthians, First Epistle to the
- McClintock and Strong's Bible Encyclopedia Corinthians, First Epistle to The
- The Nuttall Encyclopedia Corinthians, Epistles to the
- Holman - 1 Corinthians , 2 Corinthians
HENRY ALFORD The New Testament for English Readers 1 Corinthians Commentary
James Rosscup writes that Alford's series on the New Testament "contains much that is valuable in the Greek New Testament… though all of the Greek New Testament words have been changed to English throughout." (Commentaries for Biblical Expositors: An Annotated Bibliography of Selected Works)
Charles Haddon Spurgeon (see his comments in following entry on Alford).
Editorial Note: If you are not proficient in Greek, you will find this work considerably more useful than the following work by Alford, because in this volume he translates the Greek and Latin into English. While the "The Greek New Testament" is longer (e.g., English version of 1John = 66 pages compared to Greek version = 94 pages in part because the latter includes comments of more technical nature), the substance of the commentary is otherwise similar to that found in the "NT for English Readers".
HENRY ALFORD The Greek New Testament 1 Corinthians Commentary
James Rosscup writes that "This was the great work in the life of the versatile Dean of Canterbury. An outcome of this production was the New Testament for English Readers (4 vols.). Alford was a Calvinist, conservative and premillennial, though not dispensational. He takes a literal interpretation of the thousand years in Rev. 20 and has a famous quote there, is strong on sovereign election as in Ro 8:29, 30 and 1Pe 1:2, but, unfortunately, holds to baptismal regeneration in such texts as Titus 3:5 and John 3:5. He shows a great knowledge of the Greek text and faces problems of both a doctrinal and textual nature." (Commentaries for Biblical Expositors: An Annotated Bibliography of Selected Works)
John Piper writes ""When I’m stumped with a… grammatical or syntactical or logical [question] in Paul, I go to Henry Alford. Henry Alford… comes closer more consistently than any other human commentator to asking my kinds of questions."
Charles Haddon Spurgeon writes that this text "is an invaluable aid to the critical study of the text of the New Testament. You will find in it the ripened results of a matured scholarship, the harvesting of a judgment, generally highly impartial, always worthy of respect, which has gleaned from the most important fields of Biblical research, both modern and ancient, at home and abroad. You will not look here for any spirituality of thought or tenderness of feeling; you will find the learned Dean does not forget to do full justice to his own views, and is quite able to express himself vigorously against his opponents; but for what it professes to be, it is an exceedingly able and successful work. The later issues are by far the most desirable, as the author has considerably revised the work in the fourth edition. What I have said of his Greek Testament applies equally to Alford’s New Testament for English Readers,* which is also a standard work." (Spurgeon, C. H. Lectures to my Students, Vol. 4: Commenting and Commentaries; Lectures Addressed to the students of the Pastors' College, Metropolitan Tabernacle)
GREGG ALLEN - SERMONS
- 1 Corinthians 12:1-11 Lord of the Gifts
- 1 Corinthians 12:4-26 Body Dynamics
- 1 Corinthians 12:4-26 Care for the Body
- 1 Corinthians 12:27-31 Members of the Body
PAUL APPLE Commentary - Excellent material for sermon preparation
- 1 Corinthians Commentary - Published 2009. 445 pages
JACK ARNOLD SERMONS Over 450 pages of conservative, evangelical sermon material. Excellent resource
- 1 Corinthians 12-14 Spiritual Gifts
- 1 Corinthians 12:7-11 Discerning Spiritual Gifts
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-13 The Baptism of the Holy Spirit
- 1 Corinthians 12:14-26 Body Life
- 1 Corinthians 12:27-31 What Is This Tongues Phenomena?
WAYNE BARBER - one of my favorites - recommended, practical teaching on the "Christ life"
- 1 Corinthians 12:1-2 - The Signs of Spiritual Immaturity–Part `
- 1 Corinthians 12:3 - The Signs of Spiritual Immaturity–Part 2
- 1 Corinthians 12:4-6 - The Essentials of Understanding Spiritual Gifts – Part 1
- 1 Corinthians 12:4-6 - The Essentials of Understanding Spiritual Gifts – Part 2
- 1 Corinthians 12:7-9 - To Each His Own – Part 1
- 1 Corinthians 12:7-9 - To Each His Own – Part 2
- 1 Corinthians 12:9-10 - To Each His Own – Part 3
- 1 Corinthians 12:9-10 - To Each His Own – Part 4
- 1 Corinthians 12:9-10 - To Each His Own – Part 5
- 1 Corinthians 12:9-10 - To Each His Own – Part 61 Corinthians 12:9-10 - To Each His Own – Part 7
- 1 Corinthians 12:10-11 - Just Who Is In Charge?
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-17 - All for One, and One for All
- 1 Corinthians 12:18-23 - All for One, and One for All – Part 2
- 1 Corinthians 12:31 - The Absolute Proof of a Surrendered Life – Part 1
WILLIAM BARCLAY Commentary on the Gospel of Mark Daily Study Bible
D Edmond Hiebert - Prints the author's own translation. Valuable for its numerous helpful word studies and background material. Barclay holds that Christ's descent into Hades gave those who there heard Him a second chance.
Comment: I appreciate Barclay's unique insights on Greek words, but clearly his teaching about a "second chance" is NOT sound doctrine! Be an Acts 17:11 Berean with Barclay. See discussion of his orthodoxy especially the article "The Enigmatic William Barclay".
ALBERT BARNES Commentary
James Rosscup writes that Barnes "includes 16 volumes on the Old Testament, 11 on the New Testament. The New Testament part of this old work was first published in 1832–1851. Various authors contributed. It is evangelical and amillennial… Often the explanations of verses are very worthwhile." (Commentaries for Biblical Expositors: An Annotated Bibliography of Selected Works)
C H Spurgeon "Albert Barnes is a learned and able divine, but his productions are unequal in value, the gospels are of comparatively little worth, but his other comments are extremely useful for Sunday-school teachers and persons with a narrow range of reading, endowed with enough good sense to discriminate between good and evil… Placed by the side of the great masters, Barnes is a lesser light, but taking his work for what it is and professes to be, no minister can afford to be without it, and this is no small praise for works which were only intended for Sunday-school teachers." (Lectures to my Students, Vol. 4: Commenting and Commentaries; Lectures Addressed to the students of the Pastors' College, Metropolitan Tabernacle)
JOSEPH BEET - 1 Corinthians Commentary
D Edmond Hiebert - A clear and full interpretation by a British Methodist scholar of the past century. Its doctrinal summaries are intended as a contribution to systematic theology.
BRIAN BELL Sermons on Mark
JOHANN BENGEL Gnomon of the New Testament
JOHANN BENGEL The Critical English Testament
Combination of Gnomon above + Comments by other expositors [in brackets] (Recommended if not conversant with Greek)
BIBLE.ORG RESOURCES 1 Corinthians
Resources that Reference this Book
Illustrations from Bible.org
- 1 Corinthians 12
- 1 Corinthians 12:1-3
- 1 Corinthians 12:3
- 1 Corinthians 12:7
- 1 Corinthians 12:12ff
- 1 Corinthians 12:22
- 1 Corinthians 12:22-26
BIBLICAL ILLUSTRATOR 1 Corinthians Joseph Exell, Editor
- 1 Corinthians 12:11 Discovering your Style
- 1 Corinthians 12- Defrosting Your Spiritual Assets
- 1 Corinthians 12:1-7 Serving According to Your Shape
JIM BOMKAMP - Sermon Notes - Calvary Chapel Green Bay
- 1 Corinthians 12:1-11 Manifestation Gifts Of The Holy Spirit
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-26 When The Body Functions Like A Body
- 1 Corinthians 12:27-31 God Appoints Ministries And Offices In The Church
BRIDGEWAY BIBLE COMMENTARY 1 Corinthians Commentary
F F BRUCE
WILLIAM BURKITT 1 Corinthians Commentary
PAUL BUTLER Studies in 1 Corinthians Commentary
- 1 Corinthians Commentary - scroll through bookcase for 1 Corinthians - some good material but Church of Christ perspective so be an "Acts 17:11+" Berean.
- 1 Corinthians Commentary another source - pdf
JOHN CALVIN 1 Corinthians Commentary
CAMBRIDGE GREEK TESTAMENT 1 Corinthians Commentary
Parry, R. S. J. The First Epistle of Paul to the Corinthians.
ALAN CARR 1 Corinthians Sermon Notes
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-14 The Baptism Of The Holy Ghost
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-27 Your Place In The Body Of Christ
- 1 Corinthians 13:1-13 What Matters Most
D MARION CLARK - it will ask you to "Click here to download your attachment" (I checked it and it works fine - no virus or adware)
- 1 Corinthians 12.1-11 Concerning Spiritual Gifts
- 1 Corinthians 12.12-13 Church Union
- 1 Corinthians 12.14-31 Church Anatomy
ADAM CLARKE 1 Corinthians Commentary
Click for brief critique of Clarke
THOMAS CONSTABLE 1 Corinthians Expository Notes
W A CRISWELL 1 Corinthians Sermons
- 1 Corinthians 12:1 The Gift and the Gifts
- 1 Corinthians 12:1-4 The Gifts and the Gifts
- 1 Corinthians 12:1 The Gifts of the Spirit
- 1 Corinthians 12:1 The Gifts of the Spirit
- 1 Corinthians 12:10 The Gift of Miracles
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-27 We All Have A Part
- 1 Corinthians 12:13 Baptism Of The Holy Spirit
- 1 Corinthians 12:13 Baptism By The Holy Spirit
- 1 Corinthians 12:13 The Work Of The Holy Spirit
- 1 Corinthians 12:28-29 The Gift of Miracles
- 1 Corinthians 12:2 If the Nations Have Any Hope
- 1 Corinthians 12:3 If the Nations Have Any Hope
- 1 Corinthians 12:3 Only By The Holy Spirit
- 1 Corinthians 12:3 Jesus Is Lord
- 1 Corinthians 12:4 The Miraculous Gifts of the Spirit
- 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 The Grace Gifts of God, The Holy Spirit
- 1 Corinthians 12:7-13 The Sameness of Religion
- 1 Corinthians 12:8 The Gifts of Healing
- 1 Corinthians 12:8-10 Precious Ministering Gifts of the Spirit
- 1 Corinthians 12:9 Faith and Healing
- 1 Corinthians 12:9 Faith and Healing
- 1 Corinthians 12:9 The Gifts of Healing
J LIGON DUNCAN
CHARLES ELLICOTT - Editor. Commentary written by T. T. Shore
CRITICAL AND EXEGETICAL COMMENTARY First Epistle of St Paul To The Corinthians Archibald Robertson, Alfred Plummer
Rosscup: This, after Fee, is the most detailed and the best critical commentary on the epistle. Though not as readable as works by Godet, Grosheide, Johnson and Morris, it is more detailed in discussing possibilities for a given passage. (Commentaries for Biblical Expositors: An annotated bibliography of selected works)
D Edmond Hiebert - Greek text Important introduction and a very thorough treatment of the Greek text, bringing out its finer shades of meaning. Essential for the careful student of the original text.
BOB DEFFINBAUGH 1 Corinthians Sermons
EXPOSITOR'S DICTIONARY OF TEXTS
MARCUS DODS The Expositor's Bible Commentary on 1 Corinthians
JOHN DUMMELOW 1 Corinthians Commentary
THOMAS EDWARDS 1 Corinthians Commentary
In Depth Verse by Verse Commentary
D Edmond Hiebert - Greek text. An exhaustive exposition by an independent, evangelical British scholar of the past century.
TIMOTHY EDWARDS 1 Corinthians Commentary
CHARLES R ERDMAN THE FIRST EPISTLE OF PAUL TO THE CORINTHIANS (1928)
D Edmond Hiebert - A brief conservative exposition by a Presbyterian professor of the past generation. Well adapted to the non-professional Bible student.
EXPOSITOR'S GREEK TESTAMENT 1 Corinthians Commentary G. G. Findlay
D Edmond Hiebert - A thorough commentary on the Greek text by an evangelical Methodist scholar of the past generation. Characterized by a thorough grasp of Pauline thought in the epistle. For the advanced student.
A C GAEBELEIN
JOHN GILL 1 Corinthians Commentary
FRÉDÉRIC GODET 1 Corinthians Commentary
Rosscup: Godet, a Swiss Protestant Reformed scholar, was Professor of New Testament in the Free Evangelical Theological School, Neuchatel. He deals seriously with the text in the Greek, usually giving solid comments in a serious effort to explain a passage and showing connections between sections. His is one of the finer works among the older commentaries, well-worth consulting for its scholarship and its warm strain. (Commentaries for Biblical Expositors)
D Edmond Hiebert - An exhaustive technical commentary by a conservative French scholar of the past century. Valuable for its exegesis and warm spiritual views but weak and out of date in matters of textual criticism.
BRUCE GOETTSCHE 1 Corinthians Sermons
- 1 Corinthians 12:1-11 The Goal and Gifts of the Spirit
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-31 Unity and Diversity in the Body of Christ
GOTQUESTIONS 1 CORINTHIANS
- 1 Corinthians 12:1-14:40 - Are the miraculous gifts of the Spirit for today?
- 1 Corinthians 12:1-14:40 - What is the gift of speaking in tongues? Is it for today?
- 1 Corinthians 12:7-11 - How do I identify my spiritual gift?
- 1 Corinthians 12:7, 14:12 - How does God distribute spiritual gifts? Will God give me the gift I ask for?
- 1 Corinthians 14:4-17 - What is praying in tongues? Is praying in tongues a prayer language between a believer and God?
- 1 Corinthians 13:4 - What does it mean that love is patient?
- 1 Corinthians 13:4 - What does it mean that love is kind?
- 1 Corinthians 13:4 - What does it mean that love does not envy?
- 1 Corinthians 13:4 - What does it mean that love does not boast?
- 1 Corinthians 13:4 - What does it mean that love is not proud?
- 1 Corinthians 13:5 - What does it mean that love is not rude?
- 1 Corinthians 13:5 - What does it mean that love is not self-seeking?
- 1 Corinthians 13:5 - What does it mean that love is not easily angered?
- 1 Corinthians 13:5 - What does it mean that love keeps no record of wrongs?
- 1 Corinthians 13:6 - What does it mean that love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth?
- 1 Corinthians 13:7 - What does it mean that love always protects)?
- 1 Corinthians 13:7 - What does it mean that love always trusts?
- 1 Corinthians 13:7 - What does it mean that love always hopes?
- 1 Corinthians 13:7 - What does it mean that love always perseveres?
- 1 Corinthians 13:8 - What does it mean that love never fails?
- 1 Corinthians 13:10 - What is the meaning of "perfect"?
- 1 Corinthians 13:13 - What does it mean that faith, hope, and love remain (1 Corinthians 13:13)?
- 1 Corinthians 13:13 - What does it mean that the greatest of these is love?
- 1 Corinthians 14:33-35 - Do women have to remain silent in church?
H L GOUDGE THE FIRST EPISTLE TO THE CORINTHIANS 1915
D Edmond Hiebert - A very helpful commentary aimed at meeting the needs of the theological student and the clergy by an evangelical British scholar. Various added notes supplement the concise comments on the individual verses.
Verse by verse and phrase by phrase.
L M GRANT
DAVE GUZIK 1 Corinthians Commentary
MATTHEW HENRY 1 Corinthians Commentary
DAVID HOCKING - series of sermons
- Studies in 1 Corinthians - 153 pages - Interesting resource. Outline format with lots of alliteration.
CHARLES HODGE 1 Corinthians Commentary
Spurgeon: The more we use Hodge, the more we value him. This applies to all his commentaries. (Lectures to my Students, Vol. 4: Commenting and Commentaries)
Rosscup: The famous theologian’s work, originally in 1857, is very worthy of reprint and much used by pastors, students and lay people in general. As on Romans, he explains each verse in a careful manner, informed by much study, and is particularly adept and helpful in bringing out the doctrinal truth. Those who use his works find much assistance in thinking through issues consistently with Scripture, seen from a Reformed perspective.
Cyril Barber - This important exposition of the doctrine contained in this epistle explains the essence of church member effectiveness, enlarges on the nature of Christian liberty, and discusses the principles and practice of the Christian assembly.
Keith Mathison (Ligonier Ministries): There are many who would ignore these older commentaries in favor of newer works, but in this case at least, that would be a major mistake. Hodge’s work is filled with valuable insight into Paul’s letter. Highly recommended.
F B HOLE
HOLMAN STUDY BIBLE
- Holman Christian Standard Bible - Study Bible (HCSB Study Bible)
- Well done notes. Here is a sample comment on 1 Cor 6:9-11 "Believers should not be deceived into thinking that unbelieving judges (the unrighteous) and their slap-on-the-wrist verdicts about serious sin can render justice in the church. These people have no inheritance in God's kingdom. Only believers, who are washed... sanctified, and justified, can rightly judge sins (1 Cor 6:1). Paul's Corinthian readers would also take this admonition as a cause for asking themselves if their behavior matched that of "the unrighteous" or that of the "washed," the "sanctified," and the "justified.""
DAVID HOLWICK - frequent illustrations
- 1 Corinthians 12:9-10 The Weird Gifts
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-27 What A Great Body!
- 1 Corinthians 12 The Holy Spirit and Gifts
- 1 Corinthians 12:28a The Gift of Teaching
HARRY IRONSIDE 1 Corinthians Commentary
Rosscup: A popular work of a survey nature, this is helpful because of its insight into the problems of the Corinthians and the practical applications today. The illustrations are good. (One of the better commentaries with a devotional flavor).
D Edmond Hiebert - A series of 39 expository addresses by a well-known Bible teacher-pastor covering the entire epistle. Practical and informative lectures with numerous pertinent illustrations. Premillennial in emphasis.
JAMIESON, FAUSSET, BROWN 1 Corinthians Commentary
S LEWIS JOHNSON 1 Corinthians Sermons
Rosscup (on his work in Wycliffe Bible Commentary): This work in the English, based upon a careful study of the Greek text, is helpful because it gets right to the crux of problems. However, by necessity, it is brief.
- 1 Corinthians 12:1-11 The Issue of Spiritual Gifts
- 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 Unity and Variety of the Gifts
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-26 The Church -- Body of Christ
- 1 Corinthians 12:27-31 Exercise of Gifts in the Body
- D Edmond Hiebert -An independent, conservative exposition by a Plymouth Brethren scholar of the past century. The footnotes deal mostly with manuscript evidence for variant textual readings.
C F KLING 1861
- D Edmond Hiebert-A voluminous conservative Lutheran exposition. The epistles are divided into convenient paragraphs, with the material under each section appearing in three parts, exegetical and critical, doctrinal and ethical, homiletical and practical. Contains much rich ore to be mined by those willing to dig into its closely printed pages.
STEVE KRELOFF - Messianic pastor
STEVE LEWIS 1 Corinthians Studies
Web show Slide Presentation. Message Notes and Audio
- 1 Corinthians 12:1-11 The True Source & Purpose of Spiritual Gifts
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-31 The Illustration of the Body of Christ
JAMES LIAS - Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges
JOHN MACARTHUR 1 Corinthians Sermons
- Marks of a Healthy Church - Selected Scriptures - 8 Sermons
- 1 Corinthians 12:1 Concerning Spiritual Gifts, Part 1
- 1 Corinthians 12:1 Concerning Spiritual Gifts, Part 1 - Study Guide (see drop down)
- 1 Corinthians 12:1 The Counterfeit Background of Spiritual Gifts - Study Guide (see drop down)
- 1 Corinthians 12:1-11 The Gifts of the Body, Part 1
- 1 Corinthians 12:1-3 The Importance of Spiritual Gifts - Study Guide (see drop down)
- 1 Corinthians 12:2-3 Concerning Spiritual Gifts, Part 2
- 1 Corinthians 12:2-3 Concerning Spiritual Gifts, Part 2 Study Guide (see drop down)
- 1 Corinthians 12:4-7, 11 The Source of Spiritual Gifts - Study Guide (see drop down)
- 1 Corinthians 12:4-7, 11 The Source of Spiritual Gifts
- 1 Corinthians 12:4-7, 11 Concerning Spiritual Gifts, Part 3 Study Guide (see drop down)
- 1 Corinthians 12:28a The Gifted Men--Apostles and Prophets - Study Guide (see drop down)
- 1 Corinthians 12:28a The Gifted Men--Apostles and Prophets
- 1 Corinthians 12:28a The Gifted Men--Evangelists, Pastors, and Teachers - Study Guide (see drop down)
- 1 Corinthians 12:28a The Gifted Men--Evangelists, Pastors, and Teachers
- 1 Corinthians 12:8-10 Permanent Edifying Gifts-The Speaking Gifts - Study Guide
- 1 Corinthians 12:8-10 Permanent Edifying Gifts-The Serving Gifts: Leadership, Serving & Giving - SG (drop down)
- 1 Corinthians 12:8-10 Permanent Edifying Gifts-The Serving Gifts: Leadership, Serving & Giving
- 1 Corinthians 12:9-10 Permanent Edifying Gifts-The Serving Gifts: Mercy, Faith & Discernment - SG (drop down)
- 1 Corinthians 12:9-10 Permanent Edifying Gifts-The Serving Gifts: Mercy, Faith & Discernment
- 1 Corinthians 12:10 The Temporary Sign Gifts--Miracles - Study Guide
- 1 Corinthians 12:10 The Temporary Sign Gifts--Miracles
- 1 Corinthians 12:9, 28, 30 The Temporary Sign Gifts--Healing- 1 - Study Guide (see drop down)
- 1 Corinthians 12:9, 28, 30 The Temporary Sign Gifts--Healing- 2 - Study Guide (see drop down)
- 1 Corinthians 12:9, 28, 30 The Temporary Sign Gifts--Healing- 2
- 1 Corinthians 12:9, 28, 30 The Temporary Sign Gifts, Part 3
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-13 Spirit Baptism - Study Guide
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-13 Spirit Baptism
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-14, 18, 24, 28 One Body, Many Gifts- 1 - Study Guide (see drop down)
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-14, 18, 24, 28 One Body, Many Gifts- 1
- 1 Corinthians 12:15-31 One Body, Many Gifts- 2 - Study Guide (see drop down)
- 1 Corinthians 12:15-31 One Body, Many Gifts- 2
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-27 The Body of Christ
JOHN MACARTHUR'S QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
- 1 Corinthians 12:8-9 Do All Christians Have Only One Spiritual Gift?
- 1 Corinthians 12 What Is an Apostle?
ALEXANDER MACLAREN 1 Corinthians Expository Sermons
J VERNON MCGEE
F B MEYER
HEINRICH MEYER 1 Corinthians Commentary
JAMES MOFFATT Commentary on 1 Corinthians 1938
D Edmond Hiebert -Based on Moffatt's own translation. A critical exposition by a liberal British scholar of note. Helpful for its treatment of critical problems raised by a close study of the text.
HENRY MORRIS - DEFENDER'S STUDY BIBLE
- Defender's Study Bible Excellent, conservative, literal study Bible notes from a leading creationist Dr Henry Morris.
- 1 Corinthians 12:3 accursed the Lord
- 1 Corinthians 12:4 diversities of gifts
- 1 Corinthians 12:8 given by the Spirit wisdom
- 1 Corinthians 12:9 gifts of healing
- 1 Corinthians 12:10 prophecy tongues
- 1 Corinthians 12:13 are we all baptized
- 1 Corinthians 12:28 first apostles thirdly teachers diversities of tongues
NET BIBLE NOTES 1 Corinthians Commentary
JAMES NISBET 1 Corinthians Church Pulpit Commentary
HERMANN OLSHAUSEN A Commentary on Paul's First and Second Epistles to the Corinthians.
Cyril Barber - First published in 1855. This highly esteemed exegetical and expository work enlivens the sacred page and enriches the spiritual life of the reader. "Pays careful attention to the theological exposition, entering into the marrow of religious ideas, and introducing the student to the spirit and inward unity of the divine revelation" (Philip Schaff). (Click here for links to Second Corinthians comments).
OUR DAILY BREAD Devotionals and Sermon Illustrations 1 Corinthians
- 1 Corinthians 12:1-11 Use Your Gift
- 1 Corinthians 12 Blended Together
- 1 Corinthians 12:1-11 Don't Just Sit There
- 1 Corinthians 12:1-11 We’re A Community
- 1 Corinthians 12:1-18 Be Like A Bee
- 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 You Don't Need A Pulpit
- 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 The Bible Guy
- 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 Bicycle Riders
- 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 The Gifted Church
- 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 What Good Is A Rubber Tree?
- 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 We Need One Another
- 1 Corinthians 12:4-25 You Don't Need a Pulpit
- 1 Corinthians 12:7-18 The Right People
- 1 Corinthians 12:6 Gifted To Serve
- 1 Corinthians 12:7 Refusing Help
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-20 In Tune with Christ
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-25 It Takes Teamwork
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-26 Real Christians
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-26 Age Is Not a Factor
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-27 Sharing Space
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-27 Piece Of The Puzzle
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-27 Let’s Stick Together
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-27 Foot and Mouth Disease
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-27 No Body but Ours
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-27 Church Membership
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-27 Spare Change
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-27 Meet the Tates
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-27 It Takes Two
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-27 How the Body Works
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-27 Lend an Ear
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-27 Broken Toes, Broken World
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-27 I Hurt For You
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-31 No Nobodies
- 1 Corinthians 12:14-22 Eye Hand Coordination
- 1 Corinthians 12:14-26 You’re Necessary
- 1 Corinthians 12:14-26 The Wooden Rule
- 1 Corinthians 12:14-26 Zebras and Wildebeests
- 1 Corinthians 12:14-26 The Mighty Toe
- 1 Corinthians 12:14-27 Unused Muscles
- 1 Corinthians 12:20-31 Keep the Organ Playing
- 1 Corinthians 12:25 What Type Are You?
- 1 Corinthians 12:26-31 Family Therapy
- 1 Corinthians 12:27 The Church Indestructible
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-27 Everybody in the Body is Somebody - Terry Trivette
- 1 Corinthians 12:31 Do I Love God - A Self-Examination - Johnny Hunt
JOHN PIPER 1 Corinthians Sermons
- 1 Corinthians 12:1 Spiritual Gifts
- 1 Corinthians 12:1-11 Gifts of Healings and Workings of Miracles
- 1 Corinthians 12:1-13 Living in the Spirit and in the Body for the Common Good
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-31 How Important Is Church Membership-
- 1 Corinthians 12:14-20 Body Pains Feelings of Uselessness
- 1 Corinthians 12:21-27 Body Pains Feelings of Self-Sufficiency
MATTHEW POOLE Commentary 1 Corinthians
RICHARD PRATT - about 200 pages, essentially verse by verse
- 1 Corinthians 12:1-30 Spiritual Gifts: Here Today, Gone Tomorrow?
- 1 Corinthians 12:31-13:13 The Most Excellent Way
PREACHER'S COMMENTARY ON 1 CORINTHIANS 1 Corinthians A Homiletical Commentary
- 1 CORINTHIANS 12 CRITICAL NOTES -- following topics are covered
PRECEPT MINISTRIES Inductive Bible Study
- 1 Corinthians 1-16 - Download Lesson 1
- Lecture 6 Now Concerning Spiritual Gifts… - 1 Corinthians 12-14
RAY PRITCHARD Keep Believing Ministries 1 Corinthians Sermons
Excellent sermons with illustrations and many practical applications.
- 1 Corinthians 12 Unwrapping Your Spiritual Gifts (See also his sermon series)
- 1 Corinthians 12:9 What Moves Your Mountain?
- 1 Corinthians 12:10 How to Spot Counterfeit Christianity
- 1 Corinthians 12:28 My Favorite Teacher
- 1 Corinthians 12:28 Calling All Servants
- 1 Corinthians 12:28 Martha's Vineyard
PULPIT COMMENTARY 1 Corinthians Sermons and Homiletics
Scroll Down Each Page for Homilies
WILLIAM M RAMSAY - HISTORICAL COMMENTARY ON THE EPISTLES TO THE CORINTHIANS
Review by Cyril Barber - Ramsay’s writings are always worth reading. His discussions of perplexing issues are timely. He is unafraid of controversy, and his judgment on most issues is to be trusted. Two interesting chapters capture our attention: “Was Paul Married?” and “Had Paul Seen Jesus?” These essays originally appeared in The Expositor (1900--1901).
- XXXIX. THE EPISTLE AND ITS PARTS
- XL. LETTER-WRITING IN EPHESUS
- XLI. INTERVALS AND PAUSES IN THE EPISTLE
- XLII. THE FIRST LETTER CONTAINED IN FIRST CORINTHIANS
- XLIII. THE SINGLE STANDARD AND THE MONARCHICAL BISHOP
- XLII. PLANS FOR A SECOND VISIT TO CORINTH
- XLV. THE APOSTOLATE
- XLVI. “AM I NOT FREE?” (1 Cor 9:1)
- XLVII. PRIVILEGES OF AN APOSTLE
- XLVIII. ST. PETER IN CORINTH
- XLIX. THE DATE OF ST. PETER’S VISIT TO ROME
- L. NOTE ON THE DATE OF SECOND JOHN
- LI. HAD PAUL SEEN JESUS? (1 Co 9:1)
REFORMATION STUDY BIBLE 1 CORINTHIANS
- 1 Cor 12:1
- 1 Cor 12:2–3
- 1 Cor 12:4
- 1 Cor 12:7
- 1 Cor 12:8–10
- 1 Cor 12:10
- 1 Cor 12:11
- 1 Cor 12:12
- 1 Cor 12:13
- 1 Cor 12:14–20
- 1 Cor 12:22–23
- 1 Cor 12:27
- 1 Cor 12:28
- 1 Cor 12:29–30
- 1 Cor 12:31
A. T. ROBERTSON Word Pictures in the New Testament 1 Corinthians
- 1 Corinthians 12:10 A Look at the Corinthian Church
- 1 Corinthians 12, 13 What does the Bible Teach about Tongues
JOHNNY L SANDERS - 319 pages, verse by verse commentary, well-done
In addition to verse by verse, Dr Sanders has occasional illustrations and also does phrase by phrase - very useful if you are preaching through 1 Corinthians.
- 1 Corinthians 12:1-11(pdf)
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-14(pdf)
- 1 Corinthians 12:15-26(pdf)
- 1 Corinthians 12:27-31(pdf)
SERMON AUDIO - pdf transcripts - variable quality. Be a Berean.
- 1 Corinthians 12 Sermons - 400 PDF's
SERMON BIBLE COMMENTARY 1 Corinthians
Excerpts from many expositors.
CHARLES SIMEON Sermons on 1 Corinthians
NOTE: If you are not familiar with the great saint Charles Simeon see Dr John Piper's discussion of Simeon's life - you will want to read Simeon's sermons after meeting him! - click Brothers We Must Not Mind a Little Suffering (Mp3 even better
- 1 Corinthians 12:3 NO KNOWLEDGE OF CHRIST BUT BY THE SPIRIT
- 1 Corinthians 12:11 THE OPERATIONS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
- 1 Corinthians 12:13 CHRISTIANS ONE IN HEART
- 1 Corinthians 12:31 GIFTS AND GRACES COMPARED
CHUCK SMITH 1 Corinthians Commentary
JAMES SMITH - HANDFULS OF PURPOSE
- THE CHURCH AS THE BODY OF CHRIST. 1 Corinthians 12:12-31
R C SPROUL - Ligonier Devotionals
C. H. SPURGEON All His Sermons on 1 Corinthians
C H Spurgeon Expositions on 1 Corinthians
RAY STEDMAN Expository Studies in First Corinthians
Cyril Barber - Excellent examples of biblical exposition, revealing at the same time rich insights into Paul's life and thought. Highly recommended.
- 1 Corinthians 12:1-6 The Spirit's Point
- 1 Corinthians 12:7-13 Guidelines On Gifts
- 1 Corinthians 12:7-13 How The Body Works
JOHN STEVENSON - has some nice tables and diagrams
JOSEPH SUTCLIFFE Commentary 1 Corinthians
THIRD MILLENNIUM - Study Notes 1 CorinthiansChapter 1
- Spiritual Gifts in the Kingdom - 1 Corinthians 12:1-14:40
- Unity and Diversity in the Covenant Community - 1 Corinthians 12:1-31
- Now about spiritual gifts - 1 Corinthians 12:1-3
- The same Spirit - 1 Corinthians 12:4-7
- Some gifts - 1 Corinthians 12:8-10
- All these are the work of one and the same Spirit - 1 Corinthians 12:11
- The body is a unit - 1 Corinthians 12:12-13
- The body is not made up of one part but of many - 1 Corinthians 12:14-20
- Weaker ... less honorable - 1 Corinthians 12:21-26
- Weaker ... less honorable - 1 Corinthians 12:27-30
- But eagerly desire the greater gifts - 1 Corinthians 12:31
DAVID THOMPSON - each Pdf is about 3 pages long and there are 75 messages
- 1 Corinthians 12:1-3 (Part 1)
- 1 Corinthians 12:1-3 (Part 2)
- 1 Corinthians 12:4-7
- 1 Corinthians 12:8-11 (Part 1)
- 1 Corinthians 12:8-11 (Part 2)
- 1 Corinthians 12:10
- The Gift of Tongues (Part 1)
- The Gift of Tongues (Part 2)
- The Gift of Tongues (Part 3)
- The Gift of Tongues (Part 4)
- The Gift of Tongues (Part 5)
- The Gift of Tongues (Part 6)
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-19
- 1 Corinthians 12:20-26
- 1 Corinthians 12:27-31
JOHN TRAPP Commentary 1 Corinthians
MARVIN VINCENT Testament Word Studies 1 Corinthians
C G WILKES
STEVE ZEISLER 1 Corinthians Sermons